Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 690 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 04:46 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I'm thinking of letting go my K100DS for K200D, want to go up higher, but pocket says little step Wise or?
I´d say that´s a good upgrade. The K200D is the last in the line of the older beginner models, before the higher-spec, but relatively poorer-made models came in. So you should feel quite at home with it, and the extra benefits will be good without losing anything of what you´re used to.

05-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #182
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
I'm thinking of letting go my K100DS for K200D, want to go up higher, but pocket says little step Wise or?
@minahasa - it seems a good step and a good match for your lenses.
05-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Since the newer cameras get their own forums and all the K200D gets is this thread, I figure we might as well keep it alive.

This shot from the other day is one where everything just came together. The cat was not supposed to be on this particular piece of furniture, but when you see a scene like this, photography takes priority over rule enforcement. Taken with DA70 @ f/2.8. ISO 800, no NR:

05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #184
Veteran Member

I bought a K200D with the battery grip for my friend and it's a great camera! Especially compared to my K100D Super. It just oozes with quality and durability. The shutter is much quieter than my K100D as well. K300D with a k-5 sensor, reduced frame rate, wr, grip, and 1 dial would be awesome in the line up and it would kick butt against the D5100!

05-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
K300D with a k-5 sensor, reduced frame rate, wr, grip, and 1 dial would be awesome in the line up and it would kick butt against the D5100!
I for one would be highly interested in such a unit. How much do you think it would (should) sell for, if it existed?
05-04-2011, 08:19 PM - 1 Like   #186
Veteran Member

Since I've been shooting exclusively RAW I've had more success with the K200D

05-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love my K200D. It does a great job and anytime I have a problem with it, it is due to user error. ISO 100-200 it has flawless IQ. Above that it is hit or miss depending on the scene. I love the ergo and having the SR switch. I love having that switch. It's also nice with the Weathersealing and my 16-50. I being at some scenic place here in Oregon with it raining and being able to keep shooting without a cover. All the canon/nikon crowds look at me funny like I'm going to ruin my camera. I smile and say it's a Pentax and keep shooting.

Here is a link to one of my photos taken with it.

05-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #188
Veteran Member

Another thing I don't often see posted, but the K200d's SR system is vastly better than the K-7 from my own experience. Its just not as powerful/effective.
05-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #189
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Another thing I don't often see posted, but the K200d's SR system is vastly better than the K-7 from my own experience. Its just not as powerful/effective.
Same here, I have both K200 and K-7, I am living every day what you are talking about, K-7 SR is terrible. I guess Pentax have to improve 3 axis SR, 2 axis SR in K200D works flawlessly, whatever on K-5 side I don't know.
05-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #190
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
K300D with a k-5 sensor, reduced frame rate, wr, grip, and 1 dial would be awesome in the line up and it would kick butt against the D5100!
I doubt it if K-5's CMOS sensor can give same color quality and 3D look as K200D CCD sensor, don't we all see those hazy, soft K-5 samples every day, proudly presented as perfect images? From my internet watch, on the FF and APS-C arena there is only one camera can beat the K200D's color quality and 3D look, which is Nikon D3x, even though it has a CMOS sensor, I don't know how they succeeded. I don't know how Samsung succeeded to produce such good sensor on K200D/K10 either. Don't forget K200D sensor is the same with K10 which resurrected Pentax' old reputation in the digital arena. I believe Pentax owes a lot to this sensor.
05-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I doubt it if K-5's CMOS sensor can give same color quality and 3D look as K200D CCD sensor, don't we all see those hazy, soft K-5 samples every day, proudly presented as perfect images? From my internet watch, on the FF and APS-C arena there is only one camera can beat the K200D's color quality and 3D look, which is Nikon D3x, even though it has a CMOS sensor, I don't know how they succeeded. I don't know how Samsung succeeded to produce such good sensor on K200D/K10 either. Don't forget K200D sensor is the same with K10 which resurrected Pentax' old reputation in the digital arena. I believe Pentax owes a lot to this sensor.
I am intrigued that you take up this "outdated" discussion on CCD vs. CMOS: I use my K200D extensively for astrophotography and also still have the feeling that there is something special to CCD-sensors.

No doubt CMOS sensors have improved significantly over the last years but I have a nagging suspicion (sure, I cannot prove it) that there is a lot of hidden image processing going on with those sensors even before we get the raw files?

B.R. / Steen G. B.
05-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #192

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I just thought I'd check and see if anyone else misses the K200D....
No, I just got it 4 months ago, barely used. It's a freaking bad @ss. I refuse to buy a camera that runs on propitiatory batteries because my traveling never lets me recharge (of the last 5 months of international travel i have been near electricity < 5 nights. I carry everything on my back and don't have room for a charger). So Pentax is the only option and as long as they keep making AA cameras i will support them, I wish they had AA underwater point and shoots.
The K200d was in my price range and some of the folks in this tread helped with that decision. I lucked out because it is freaking great. After meeting people on the trails here and abroad I have found that travel enthusiasts appreciate this camera and the outdoor wilderness sport lovers (backpackers, climbers, sailors, paddlers) are quickly smitten with it. Because:
1-AA batteries
2-weather proofing
3-accepts all the old K-mount and m42 lenses which on EBAY are FAR cheaper than old nikon or cannon
4-AA batteries
5-Raw Button
6-nice features and construction for a "low" level camera (low by Pentax standards, High by others)
7-AA batteries

It is these features that should have been advertised in Backpacker, Rock & Ice, Alpinest, Cruising magazines, and other media with readers who are not near electricity or cars for months at a time.

Even the Nikon jerks who immediately try to convert you eat there cockiness when I say "I can NOT use Canon or Nikon because of the need for non proprietary batts, and if i could, does your camera do this.... and this...and this.... and this....?"

Do i miss it? no. It is still available gently used and some stores are still sitting on new ones or refurbished ones, look around. Will i miss it in 5 years, yeah, if it dies. I know that soon i will drool at more pixels and new sensors, etc. So i hope Pentax reincarnates the k200d, AAs and all, soon.

I would like to point out there is a k200d group on this forum:
K200D Users - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by cadmus; 05-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #193
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I sort of miss the K200D, but it was large and the high-ISO performance lacked utility. At ISO 100 and 200 it rocked. Above that could be a crapshoot, especially with the AF not being as good as later models or competitors'. I would not hesitate to get one for a second, outdoor camera with some WR lenses. As an available light, outdoor camera, it is the bomb.
05-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I doubt it if K-5's CMOS sensor can give same color quality and 3D look as K200D CCD sensor... on the FF and APS-C arena there is only one camera can beat the K200D's color quality and 3D look, which is Nikon D3x.
I agree with you. But if we go back to professional reviews when the K200D came out... most mention the camera had "pleasing but inaccurate color." Just goes to show... but exactly what, I'm not sure.
05-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #195
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I agree with you. But if we go back to professional reviews when the K200D came out... most mention the camera had "pleasing but inaccurate color." Just goes to show... but exactly what, I'm not sure.
Well, you came to the nitty-gritty buddy, if you look at the flowers I've previously posted, or the ceremony john5100 posted few postings above, are the colors look natural to you? And which way you would prefer? More natural or more pleasing, another saying "better than the eye". In fact when I taking those flower pictures I wasn't impressed from the flowers as I did from the pictures, in fact I was introducing a greenhouse to my macro loving friends, and took some pictures for not to get bored when they were taking macro's, they all had Canikons, after we put the pictures to the puter and look at them unaltered we all went like WOW! Guess for which camera?

IMO same logic works for the perceived resolution.