Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #241

Yeah I like my K200d, too bad pentax does not have a replacement with similiar features like top lcd and battery grip, K5 is too expensive for me and K7 is bad in low light. Pentax should make another model in between k5 and kx with top lcd and battery grip.

06-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #242

Photos: Gallery
I'd love to upgrade. . . but my K200d still works fine. Maybe if I had the cash to burn.
06-01-2011, 02:31 AM   #243

I have been shooting my K200D for three years now, and I´m still amazed by this little camera. The colours and look of the pictures is something quite unique.

When the K-5 came out I was looking for an upgrade, but then there was all these issues with stains and focusing. I had the money ready and was thinking to risk it and pull the trigger, but then it got me thinking is all that money going to be a good investment??

1300€ is big money for me... You can get second-hand D700 for that kind of money...

Then one night I was browsing through pictures of K. McCall (One of my favourite photographers), who is also shooting with K200D, when it struck me that there´s still so much potential in this camera, I just need to concentrate more on my technique and composition skills and get some quality glass instead!

I bought the FA 43 and FA77 to accompany my beloved FA31. - It has turned out to be a great decision! These are some magical lenses!

Now it seems that If Pentax doesn´t come up with a full-frame camera, I´ll be shooting my K200D until it dies.. or then the rumoured K-3 has to be something very special...
06-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #244
Inactive Account

my wife still shoots with her k200, but she'll be upgrading this year.
sadly it won't be a kr or a k5 and since there's no Pentax in-between model, it probably won't be a pentax.

06-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #245
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
sadly it won't be a kr or a k5 and since there's no Pentax in-between model, it probably won't be a pentax.
Why not a KX?
06-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #246
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by _quicksilver_ Quote
I have been shooting my K200D for three years now, and I´m still amazed by this little camera. The colours and look of the pictures is something quite unique.
I agree, the K200D was a great little camera and the sensor seemed to be tweaked better than the K10D. Yes, the colors of the K200D are quite good and the camera just feels good in my hands.

It is quite sad the the middle Pentax camera (the K-r) does not have a battery grip. All my cameras that have this option have one installed.

wll
06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #247
Veteran Member

I had a scare yesterday during a posed portrait session with some musician friends when I put my DA15 on, tried to shoot, and the focus motor just spun and spun without moving the lens at all. Several minutes of fiddling around while I continued shooting, including unmounting and remounting the lens, got me nowhere - but I was using manual focus a bunch anyhow. And then suddenly on like the fourth or fifth remount the AF started working again. I can only surmise that the previous lens I had mounted - my M28/2.8 - had inadvertently knocked the focus screw off kilter, as I had had some difficulty mounting it. And then it just took a while for the screw to find its slot again. I guess; I hope. Seems fine now.

Here's one of the shots I got during that time - I think it was while the AF was still not working for me, but I can't be sure. I posted it to one of the lens club threads too, but since it illustrates this little story, here it is again.

06-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiedog Quote
What is it she would be hoping to get out the upgrade that she couldn't get from the K-r, and could that really be obtained by changing to a another brand's model that costs significantly less than the K-5? And would whatever that is be worth the cost of getting all new lenses too?
06-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #249

Great picture.
06-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #250
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spring loaded focus drive connector.

QuoteQuote:
I can only surmise that the previous lens I had mounted - my M28/2.8 - had inadvertently knocked the focus screw off kilter, as I had had some difficulty mounting it.
That seems a good diagnosis to me. The little drive connector is spring loaded so that the non-AF lenses can mount as well. It's very possible that with some rotational pressure on the connector as it was pushed down got it to catch under the lip of the body mount. At that point, it would spin without connecting to anything.

When some jiggling got it to pop free again, then it would work as ever.

I hope that's all that happened. If so, and if it happens again, you'll have a more specific point to investigate.

BTW, that is a wonderful photo. : )
06-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments, and the technical insight. No issues last night, so it definitely seems to be good now. And since I seem to be one of the only people regularly pushing the ISO extremes on this camera, here's a shot from last night at the push-processed equivalent of ISO 6400:

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.
06-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #252
Veteran Member

Wow Marc. I used my K200 for the Sasquatch Festival and it performed really well but pushing to 6400!?!?!

Last edited by john5100; 06-04-2011 at 12:46 AM.
06-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Occasionally I think about upgrading, but then again, if I look at the results with the K200D there is not much to complain about for me. I hardly ever have a need go beyond ISO 1600, but as Marc shows even that seems to work well. Great shots Marc!

Last edited by volley; 06-03-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Typos
06-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #254

Hi Marc, can you explain what's meant as 'push-Processed'?
From another k200 user.
Thanks!
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Thanks for the comments, and the technical insight. No issues last night, so it definitely seems to be good now. And since I seem to be one of the only people regularly pushing the ISO extremes on this camera, here's a shot from last night at the push-processed equivalent of ISO 6400:

06-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #255
Veteran Member

I mean, it was shot two stops underexposed a ISO 1600, then brightened two stops in PP. This is *exactly* the same as shooting ISO 6400 in the first place: the exact same shutter speed is used for a given aperture, and the exact same amount of light falls on the sensor, the image turns out exactly as bright and exactly as noisy. On cameras that actually go to ISO 6400, the results are indistinguishable. On the K200D, you can't go to 6400 to compare, but that's how it would work out if you could.

Really, as far as the sensor is concerned, there is only one ISO: whatever the "base" ISO is for the camera (100-ish for the K200D). Everything else is simply pushed from there, with the camera's analog signal amplification system doing the work up to around ISO 800 and the firmware doing it digitally from there on. On the K200D, the firmware won't go past 1600, but you certain pick up where the firmware left off by doing it in PP.

In my example, I was shooting at a shutter speed of 1/60" with my lens (M120/2.8) wide open. I decided 1/60" was as slow a shutter speed as I would accept, so I simply locked that in via M mode and took whatever exposure I got. The result was two stops underexposed at ISO 1600, so I brightened it in PP. If the camera went to ISO 6400, then the same shot at 1/60" would have come out of the camera just like my shot ended up after PP - same exposure, same degree of noise.

Of course, cameras that go to ISO 6400 generally apply some NR even in RAW, and then more on top of that in their JPEG processing. The K200D applies some NR in RAW even at 1600, and I also applied some more in my own JPEG processing, but nothing fancy - just turning up the chroma noise slider in ACDSee Pro 4, using a preset I created.