Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #406
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few from the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum in Kent Washington. 1/12/2010.

Bill Muncey's Blue Blaster. The restoration begins.

12-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #407

Hydro's! Long live the Columbia Cup! Hydroplane racing is great photography for the rooster tails and the flips (as long as no one gets hurt) its worth a weekend trip if you are close - and a google search if you're not.

I jus got the k30 to upgrade from my k200- it's a huge improvement and I could never go back, but i feel lens for lens, the k200d looks a bit better. However there are indoor non-flash shots that just wont come out on the k200 that do on the k30. It's also much lighter, which I really never had a problem with untill i got the k30. I actually had the grip to make it bigger and send a message.
12-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #408
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Beside the nice pics here, I'd like to report some kind of issue I have: Yet loving my two K200Ds (I will not go to the K30 'cause the absence of grip-option), I recently received the FA 20mm F2.8 that is my third fast Pentax prime lens beside the DA* 55mm F1.4 and the DA 14mm F2.8.

With all these Pentax-made primes I encountered a considerable backfocus problem i.c.w the K200D. First I had the idea it occurred only with my first K200D, but I did some portraits plus environment with the FA 20mm on the second K200D and guess what: backfocus.
I don't have the problem so emphatically with the Sigma 85mm F1.4 and with the Sigma 50mm F1.4 (that I had replaced by the DA* 55mm).

I will try to debug my K200Ds, hoping it will not result into a frontfocus issue with my Sigma lenses and Pentax zoom lenses.

Is there anyone of you that recognise the backfocus issue of fast Pentax prime lenses onto the K200D?

Jan.
12-22-2012, 04:55 PM - 1 Like   #409
Veteran Member

Late night walk with my K200D and my DA* 16-50mm handheld at ISO 1600

12-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan-61 Quote
Beside the nice pics here, I'd like to report some kind of issue I have: Yet loving my two K200Ds (I will not go to the K30 'cause the absence of grip-option), I recently received the FA 20mm F2.8 that is my third fast Pentax prime lens beside the DA* 55mm F1.4 and the DA 14mm F2.8.

With all these Pentax-made primes I encountered a considerable backfocus problem i.c.w the K200D. First I had the idea it occurred only with my first K200D, but I did some portraits plus environment with the FA 20mm on the second K200D and guess what: backfocus.
I don't have the problem so emphatically with the Sigma 85mm F1.4 and with the Sigma 50mm F1.4 (that I had replaced by the DA* 55mm).

I will try to debug my K200Ds, hoping it will not result into a frontfocus issue with my Sigma lenses and Pentax zoom lenses.

Is there anyone of you that recognise the backfocus issue of fast Pentax prime lenses onto the K200D?

Jan.
The biggest failing of the K200D is not the high-ISO performance or the slow AF - it's the lack of a real AF fine-tuning option.

I have mine hacked to correct the AF slightly, and that leaves only my DAL 35/2.4 very slightly off, but all other lenses ok. You can correct it but only with one global setting, not individual settings for each lens. Give it a go and if it still doesn't work you can either try to hunt down a different copy of a lens that gives problems, try to swap your K200D, or move to a body that has real AF fine-tuning .
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even a 3 year old can take a self portrait with a K200D and a wired remote!

12-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #412
Veteran Member

very cute Keith

12-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #413
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The biggest failing of the K200D is not the high-ISO performance or the slow AF - it's the lack of a real AF fine-tuning option.

I have mine hacked to correct the AF slightly, and that leaves only my DAL 35/2.4 very slightly off, but all other lenses ok. You can correct it but only with one global setting, not individual settings for each lens. Give it a go and if it still doesn't work you can either try to hunt down a different copy of a lens that gives problems, try to swap your K200D, or move to a body that has real AF fine-tuning .
Thanks for your reaction. Yes I will try to implement the debugging mode (file onto SD-card and go, I got the manual on the Dutch Pentaxforum). I hope my Sigmas will be still fine after that.

Still I am surprised that all three of my Pentax-branded fast primes are showing backfocus.
On the K-r of a friend of mine I did'nt find that problem as far as I did not test that thouroughly. So I tend to think that is is not the case that I have three bad copies.

Jan.
12-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #414
Inactive Account

Jan.
That shouldn't be a big problem since, thanks to pk-tether program leaves you in the debug mode until you press "exit the debug mode" when running the pk-tether, you don't have to write a debug file onto memory card and reboot camera then delete etc. mess is not needed anymore with pk-tether., Only problem is K200D can not remember the value of FF/BF value, you should remember the value for each lens and change the value whenever change the lens, this would slow down lens changing a bit of course, but if you get use to it with the FF/BFmenu, that won't be a big problem I believe.

If newer versions of pk-tether won't leave your K200 in the debug mode I can send you my version, BTW leaving the camera in the debug mode doesn't change anything other than a "debug mode" text appears on the screen constantly.
Happy new year to all.
12-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #415
Pentaxian

Still I am surprised that all three of my Pentax-branded fast primes are showing backfocus.
On the K-r of a friend of mine I did'nt find that problem as far as I did not test that thouroughly. So I tend to think that is is not the case that I have three bad copies.

Jan.
If three lenses all backfocus then the cause is more likely the camera. FF & BF is caused by the combination of lens and camera.
12-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #416
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
That shouldn't be a big problem since, thanks to pk-tether program leaves you in the debug mode until you press "exit the debug mode" when running the pk-tether, you don't have to write a debug file onto memory card and reboot camera then delete etc. mess is not needed anymore with pk-tether., Only problem is K200D can not remember the value of FF/BF value, you should remember the value for each lens and change the value whenever change the lens, this would slow down lens changing a bit of course, but if you get use to it with the FF/BFmenu, that won't be a big problem I believe.

If newer versions of pk-tether won't leave your K200 in the debug mode I can send you my version, BTW leaving the camera in the debug mode doesn't change anything other than a "debug mode" text appears on the screen constantly.

Happy new year to all.
Aha, this is something new to me! I get to look for this what is is. For now it sounds as a kind of addition to the firmware, is it? Anyway, I will look up for it rightaway. Thanx for this tip ! I wil get back to you if I can't found a K200D-compatible version of PKT.

QuoteQuote:
If three lenses all backfocus then the cause is more likely the camera. FF & BF is caused by the combination of lens and camera.
This is what I am thinking too. I found it on both my K200Ds, so I could assume that there are more K200D-users encountering the same issue with fast Pentax prime lenses. I am curious if this really is the case.

Also all the good things for 2013!

Jan.
12-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #417
Inactive Account

Aha, this is something new to me! I get to look for this what is is. For now it sounds as a kind of addition to the firmware, is it? Anyway, I will look up for it rightaway. Thanx for this tip ! I wil get back to you if I can't found a K200D-compatible version of PKT.
Jan.
No, not firmware, it's a tethering program for full controlling camera from a PC, just checked current version is 6.5 but I don't know if you can leave the camera "debug mode on" with this version, you might wanna give it a try, if it doesn't the version I was talking about was 6.1, download page is at:

Downloads | PK_Tether

Bests.
12-26-2012, 04:03 AM   #418
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
No, not firmware, it's a tethering program for full controlling camera from a PC, just checked current version is 6.5 but I don't know if you can leave the camera "debug mode on" with this version, you might wanna give it a try, if it doesn't the version I was talking about was 6.1, download page is at:

Downloads | PK_Tether

Bests.

Oh, I found version 7 to be the most recent. I will look for it. As I understood correctly, 'leaving debug mode on' also works when the camera is not connected with the pc?

Thanks a lot anyway

EDIT: I also downlaoded v. 6.1

Jan.
12-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #419
Inactive Account

Oh, I found version 7 to be the most recent. I will look for it. As I understood correctly, 'leaving debug mode on' also works when the camera is not connected with the pc?

Thanks a lot anyway
Jan.
Yeah I've mistyped newest is v 7 and yes it is for leaving on the debug mode permanently, with just one button on pk-tether by connecting the camera by an USB connection just like you are downloading files. Instead of, creating a debug file, writing to card, leave the card door open, reboot it when pressing menu button yada yada (see below links) ... Now when you leave the camera on debug mode, all you have to do is remember BF/FF value of each lens, and change it whenever to change the lens (if needed), you are covered.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/75223-k200d-autofo...ne-tuning.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/35765-how-access-d...ntax-k200.html

PS. This is kind of OT, I was thinking to send this information to you with PM, but I thought some K200D owners might need this info also. Hope nobody minds
12-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #420
Forum Member

Also thanks for the links..

Later on coming week I will try to work these things out, I am quite curious for the results!

Thnx,

Jan.