Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2017, 09:08 AM - 6 Likes   #781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Took the K200 out today for a walk through the forest. As others have said already: paired with the battery grip the camera offers superb ergonomics!
All shots with the FA 1.8/77 limited.

11-01-2017, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #782

Still shooting with my two K200d bodies regularly.

On one, I use the battery grip without the batteries installed, just to get that sweet-spot balance with a long lens + teleconverter attached. In addition to the extra weight of a second set of batteries, I found that having two power sources occasionally caused the camera to not release the shutter properly.

On the other body, I have a 28-300 Tamron mounted without the grip, for a more compact, grab & go all-purpose setup.

Still a wonderful & relevant camera body.
11-01-2017, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #783
Forum Member

Still using my K200D. (9yrs old)

Good with the kit lens (18-55mm in Red), much, much better with the 35mm f2.4 plastic fantastic (yellow and what a super lens, sharp!! and cheap).
Colour rendition on the Natural setting is near on perfect.

I only find its ISO limitations an issue for inside shots, I prefer not to use the flash if I can.

Will be buying a K70 in future, but the K200d will keep on rocking as my backup camera.
Oh and I really do prefer the AA battery option, it takes a lot of photos to exhaust 2 sets of Eneloops.

Greg

Last edited by Greg1956; 11-02-2017 at 07:42 PM.
12-29-2017, 03:04 PM   #784

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very nice shots.

The last time I tried to use my K200D (a couple of weeks ago), it was up to it's old tricks - wouldn't turn on with either fresh alkaline or even with fresh lithium (!!!) batteries. I went for the K200D over the K20D for the ability to use AA batteries but AAs really don't work well, even lithiums or good quality rechargeables.

I know it's a pretty old post but I think it's appropriate to remember this solution.

Problems with AA batteries seem to be common with Pentax models that use this energy system. I read some time ago in a Pentaxforums post that when some new lithium batteries did not even turn on the camera, you had to "wake them up". For example putting them in a flash and doing a couple of shots of the flash. I use this system and when I put them in the camera, it turns on normally and the batteries perform their normal life cycle.

Google Translator

12-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #785
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by centaure Quote
I know it's a pretty old post but I think it's appropriate to remember this solution.

Problems with AA batteries seem to be common with Pentax models that use this energy system. I read some time ago in a Pentaxforums post that when some new lithium batteries did not even turn on the camera, you had to "wake them up". For example putting them in a flash and doing a couple of shots of the flash. I use this system and when I put them in the camera, it turns on normally and the batteries perform their normal life cycle.

Google Translator
QuoteOriginally posted by centaure Quote
Didn't know this. Thanks for the insight!
12-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #786
Pentaxian

I will give that a try, though Energizer lithiums seem to have shot up in price by about 50% recently.
12-31-2017, 07:22 AM   #787
Pentaxian

My K200d sits in a cupboard most of the time, but when I use it I have to reset the date etc. If I replace the batteries I have to reset it again. Is there a watch battery or something that needs replacing?

Tuggie76

12-31-2017, 09:46 AM   #788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
My K200d sits in a cupboard most of the time, but when I use it I have to reset the date etc. If I replace the batteries I have to reset it again. Is there a watch battery or something that needs replacing?

Tuggie76
Not that I know of. My *ist D is the only Pentax DSLR I own that does have a separate cell for that. re: trouble with AA batteries - I have two *ist D cameras and a K100D that I've owned from 5 to 8 yrs now. I've never had an issue with AA's (eneloops or equivalent). My unproven theory: Use the cameras! I make sure I take a few shots with them at least once a month. I think letting a DSLR sit unused for long periods contributes to electrical problems and failures. Just my $.02.
12-31-2017, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #789
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A colourful building - the theater in Changzhou, China.
K200 with FA 1.8/77 limited

Last edited by volley; 01-10-2018 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Typo corrected
01-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #790
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote

Tuggie76
I believe there is a capacitor which holds a charge for a while to keep the date and other internal data. Without charged batteries in the camera, the capacitor gradually loses its charge. You might try putting in fully charged batteries and letting it sit on, but not used, for a while to see if that charges the capacitor back. Some have reported that they repeatedly swapped in fully charged batteries over a few days to get the camera back to "normal" again (after extended non-use).
01-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #791
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
I believe there is a capacitor which holds a charge for a while to keep the date and other internal data. Without charged batteries in the camera, the capacitor gradually loses its charge. You might try putting in fully charged batteries and letting it sit on, but not used, for a while to see if that charges the capacitor back. Some have reported that they repeatedly swapped in fully charged batteries over a few days to get the camera back to "normal" again (after extended non-use).
Thanks Yucatan, I'll give that a shot.

Tuggie76
01-07-2018, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K200 but I'm not sure which lens I used. Probably an old MF Macro lens.

01-16-2018, 03:19 PM - 3 Likes   #793
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snow Around the Trunk

My daughter who is a photography professional got into the business with a K200D. She upgraded to a K3, then to a K1. She uses the K1 as her daily shooter with the K3 as a backup, and didn't want the K200D any more so recently gave it to me. She had a battery grip for it, and that does make it nice to handle. So, I stepped out the back door and took this picture with a Vivitar-A 28mm f2.8 @ f16 mounted on the K200D, sunny 16 rule (f16, 1/100 s, ISO100), DNG processed in PDCU, and jpg output converted to B&W with Silver Effex Pro 2. I will continue to use my K30 & K5 as my primary bodies, but this one is very nice, so I'll try to find a place for it.

As an experiment, I took some test shots at ISO1600 with EV-2 setting, then pushed two stops in PDCU for an effective ISO6400 output, and the results were surprisingly good with much lower noise than I expected. The push result is better than I used to get with the same process with my K100DS, so I conclude that the K200D can actually be useful at higher ISOs with careful processing of RAW DNG images.

-Joe-
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 

Last edited by k0og; 01-16-2018 at 03:25 PM.
01-23-2018, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another one...

Some "old" bokeh - Super-Takumar 35mm f2, wide open, K200D, ISO100.

-Joe-

(cross-posted from the Takumar club)
01-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #795
Veteran Member

When I bought mine s/h from a PF member, it came with a battery grip. I find it makes the camera far too heavy for my old arthritic hands and wrists so I dont use it at all. Still love the output from the K200D though, to the point where I am considering selling off my K5 body.