Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax response on VF data line issue

I've been raising the issue that the K-x (and I believe the K-r) have an hardware/ softeware problem where the VF data-line becomes dim to the point of being unusable in bright sunlight. This is the official response:

We have not heard from Pentax Japan of any plans to introduce a firmware update for any of the current model DSLRs that would address the brightness of the data line in the cameras' viewfinder. As with any optical viewfinder when shooting in bright light it is important to make sure you don't let any ambient light leak in around the eyecup.

Perhaps the issue is that I wear glasses and can't press my eye socket tightly against the VF? In other words, it's my problem. Thanks Pentax,
Brian

01-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This isn't a troubleshooting question. Moved to the DSLR section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

This is pretty common for most SLR's (D or film) with LED viewfinder displays for photographers that wear glasses. Happens for me on my K200D as it did on my Pentax film SLR and an Olympus SLR before that. The brighter the sun, and the more directly it hits the edge of the right lens in my glasses, the more it washes out the viewfinder display.

Try this the next time you are shooting in the sun: shade your glasses with your left hand as you are looking through the viewfinder - the data display should brighten up considerably.
01-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Inactive Account

You could try one of these.

Eye Cup / EyePiece Adapter For Olympus NEW - eBay (item 200565472118 end time Jan-21-11 10:06:41 PST)

.... and yes, Olympus OM eye-piece accessories fit the Pentax dSLRs.

01-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
adam, your website and you can do what you want, but I disagree. How can it not be a "troubleshooting" question when it deals with a possible design flaw with the K-x and K-r that either needs fixing by Pentax (and obviously they don't care) or a work-around? It's a problem, it needs a solution, and this is the most likely forum to look for that solution,
Brian
01-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
A k-r owner in the other thread specifically said that the k-r had an improved display. As far as the design flaw (reflective internal surface), it is what it is (part of the design) and you can hardly expect a fix for this unless you want to do it yourself, as it will involve opening the camera case and offers no guarantee of success.