Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heralu Quote
I am hoping the battery situation will be okay if I can figure out how to upgrade the firmware...!
Check the firmware first - you may not have to upgrade - it may be obvious - later K-x have later firmware.

Hold down the Menu button while turning on the camera the version is displayed on the LCD screen for the first three digits -
or better yet take a photo then open it with PhotoME to display the EXIF metadata
then Ctrl-F (for find) and type in firm to find and display the firmware version to the full number of digits

I still have version 1.01.00.07 in my K-x - there had been a 1.01.00.10 -
the most current version 1.02(.??.??) - was only on the Japan site:
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

It appears that anything from 1.01.00.07 or later behaves fine with good batteries.

Good is emphasized - because regardless of firmware version Pentax dSLRs are notoriously fussy with AA batteries.

All this is moot if one uses
disposable lithium AA as supplied with the camera
or well charged eneloops with a good (again emphasized) charger.

One important HINT -
if you do intend to upgrade the firmware - again it may seem obvious -
do NOT perform the upgrade unless the battery meter/indicator is showing Full GREEN
- otherwise you may brick your camera.