Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

K10D and pc connection to strobes

Just finished a project where I used White Lighting strobes with my K10D. Used a hot shoe adapter with a pc connection to connect the sync cable. 1st day of shoot, things were going well. About half way through, the stobes would only fire occasionally. Thought is was a short in the sync cable. 2nd day, I replaced the sync cable, and now the strobes are not firing at all. Trouble shooting, I hooked this all up to our C* Digital Rebel, and it works perfectly. Why?

I was using a generic hot shoe adapter from our local camera shop. I just checked the Pentax hot shoe adapters, and none of them say anything about having a pc connection. Thought I might have fried my hot shoe. But hooked up an external flash, and it still works.

So why would it not work with the strobes? Not enough voltage? Too much voltage?

Thanks.

10-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You didn't specify which WL strobes you're working with. Newer models have sync voltages under 6V. Older models like the WL 5000 and 10000 have sync voltages of 24V.

Since you've checked your wires and tried another other camera, it could be your hot shoe electronics could have gotten toasted just enough to trip a compatible flash, but when the higher voltage pull comes in, it trips.
10-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
They are the UltraZap 1600's. According to the specs, sync voltage is 'less than 6 volts'. These are older strobes, at least 8 yrs old, so I don't know if the specs have changed for the new ones.
10-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smokey Quote
(snip) I just checked the Pentax hot shoe adapters, and none of them say anything about having a pc connection. (snip)

Several companies sell voltage regulated hotshoe-mounted PC sync connectors which limit the camera connection to no more than 6 volts (down from a max of 400v). The Wein products, for example, go under the name "Safe Sync." Check around some of the other larger internet mail-order camera stores for these and others.

By the way, have you tried resetting the camera to see if that restores normal operation with the external flash units? If not, give it a try.

stewart

10-08-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Back at work today, I checked the equipment again. I am using a Weins safe sync adapter (HSHSB). Tested with the White Lightning, and strobes works sporatically. Hooked up to our Novatron V400, and strobes worked just fine. This is all using the same Weins adapter and sync cable on both units. So there must be something up with the White Lightings and the K10D.
I had also reset the camera before I tried today. I have emailed my local camera shop (they sold us the light equipment) to see if he has any recommendations.
10-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back at work today, I checked the equipment again. I am using a Weins safe sync adapter (HSHSB). Tested with the White Lightning, and strobes works sporatically. Hooked up to our Novatron V400, and strobes worked just fine. This is all using the same Weins adapter and sync cable on both units. So there must be something up with the White Lightings and the K10D.
I had also reset the camera before I tried today. I have emailed my local camera shop (they sold us the light equipment) to see if he has any recommendations.
Pentax MV/MV-1 may work:
http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/flashes/mounting/HotShoeMV.jpg

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page
As to the real cause, there were some sych hot shoe adapters that would accidentally ground out some of the base contacts (Don't remember which one but I do rememer the bottom plate was metal, I think )
10-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Local shop says:
"Polarity---If you reverse the household plug on the power pack it usually takes off firing. Some lighting systems that is difficult to do. No household plug. I don't understand it but I know it works. Some cameras will flip polarity when in use. It may run 6 months or one week and you will have to do it again."

Have not tried yet, but will later today.
10-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What price a search engine?????

Oh, wait, there it is!

And people willing to use same...

Search term:"K10-D and Safe Sync question"

10-08-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
What price a search engine?????

Oh, wait, there it is!
And people willing to use same...
Search term:"K10-D and Safe Sync question"
OK smarty pants , Anyways I did at least remember there was a problem
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/5750-10-d-flash-sa...-question.html
"Too bad you didn't join the forums sooner-like three months ago or so.

The hotshoe on the K10D is very tight. When you slip the SafeSync into the hot shoe it depresses the center contact of the SafeSync a bit further than most cameras. So much so, that it actually breaks contact inside the SafeSync. That little ball is in a sleeve, the ball contacts a small plate on the side of the sleeve; it moves too far up the sleeve to maintain contact. I've been through four SafeSync's; it's a design inadequacy. It's provable too.

Clamp the SafeSync in a small vise; connect it via PC cable to the flash, turn flash on. Take a test lead from a VOM and touch it to the little ball, Press the ball in as far as it goes. Hold it there. Touch the other end of the test lead to the side contact. VERRRRRy slllooowly release a bit of pressure on the lead touching the ball. As the ball moves out at some point it will contact the metal plate inside the sleeve and the flash will pop.

And like I said, found this three months ago; the forums are searchable.

I returned mine and bought Pocket Wizards. Got rid of the problem and the wire-cool"
Maybe it was one of the wireless that had a metal plate on the bottom............