Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Who cares

02-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Another thing wrong with my K7 every time I power it up in the house my dog runs and hides. this must be some ultrasonic noise defect scaring animals away
why can't they fix this with a firmware update
Sorry I'm so late to the party.
Eddie, in Australia we have a device called "Shooroo" which when mounted to the front of a vehicle emits an ultra ultra high sound which scares kangaroos and other animals and birds off the road: saves wildlife and insurance claims. If you haven't got rid of your defective K7 yet, strap it to the front of your vehicle! I know you don't have kangaroos to scare but what about brown bears or something.

Rod
02-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Sorry I'm so late to the party.
Eddie, in Australia we have a device called "Shooroo" which when mounted to the front of a vehicle emits an ultra ultra high sound which scares kangaroos and other animals and birds off the road: saves wildlife and insurance claims. If you haven't got rid of your defective K7 yet, strap it to the front of your vehicle! I know you don't have kangaroos to scare but what about brown bears or something.

Rod

We sell those devices mainly for deer. I've had two deer-strikes in the past 12 months.

What I really want for deer strikes is one of these:

But they don't make it for my car.
02-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
We sell those devices mainly for deer. I've had two deer-strikes in the past 12 months.

Try mounting one of these to your bumper.

Deer v. Pentax - Pentax wins!

Attached Images

02-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Try mounting one of these to your bumper.

Deer v. Pentax - Pentax wins!
Funnily enough the dog doesn't run from big old MF cameras, maybe he just wants to be sure it can be printed huge
02-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #141
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No you don`t, a 130 pound white-tail deer, hit at 60 MPH. will drive that thing right into your hood, causing more damage than not having it.
Thank god for no moose around here.
I think my K7 SR whine is scaring the local wildlife, have not seen a deer or squirrel since getting it. Pentax really needs to fix this. If not, might have to switch brands.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 02-03-2011 at 05:53 PM.
02-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #142
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
No you don`t, a 130 pound white-tail deer, hit at 60 MPH. will drive that thing right into your hood, causing more damage than not having it.
...but I'd bet the camera survives the impact. If it has a macro lens on it, there might even be an interesting photo taken.

02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think my K7 SR whine is scaring the local wildlife, have not seen a deer or squirrel since getting it.
If it works with squirrels, it should work with possums (which get into roof cavities and cause mayhem and a racket).
Hoya could do some R&D and reengineer all those K5 that have been returned into pest control devices. I can see a whole new division being created within Hoya.
02-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Thank god for no moose around here.
I think my K7 SR whine is scaring the local wildlife, have not seen a deer or squirrel since getting it. Pentax really needs to fix this. If not, might have to switch brands.
Yeah, but at 40mph it's a different story. I had 2 cars (a Jeep Liberty and Olds 88) drive away with minor cosmetic damage from two impacts like that. With the deer-deflector it would have been no damage at all.
02-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, but at 40mph it's a different story. I had 2 cars (a Jeep Liberty and Olds 88) drive away with minor cosmetic damage from two impacts like that. With the deer-deflector it would have been no damage at all.
No comment on the Jeep, but I bet the Olds just went 'Thu-thump", like running over a speed bump.
I hit an 80 pounder at around 40 or so, bent the hell out of my explorers bumper.
Deer-jerky rules and tastes good. Specially road kill that you field dressed in the ditch, right after the deputy gave you a tag for it.
02-08-2011, 12:01 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Moderator! Moderator! Where is one when you need one? This thread should be sewn shut because posters are getting along with one another and even gasp! laughing in print. I'm certain this must be the result of a silent Pentax firmware update. They never tell you when they've fixed a problem you didn't know you had. Moderator! Hurry, someone even proposed marriage. We saw how that worked out with the marriage of film and digital. There just weren't enough lenses to make it work and scanning just delayed the inevitable breakup of the brand.
02-08-2011, 04:49 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Moderator! Moderator! Where is one when you need one? This thread should be sewn shut because posters are getting along with one another ...
This is indeed highly irregular. Work is in progress for a way to deal with this kind of thing:

02-08-2011, 05:16 AM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
Moderator! Moderator! Where is one when you need one? This thread should be sewn shut because posters are getting along with one another and even gasp! laughing in print. I'm certain this must be the result of a silent Pentax firmware update. They never tell you when they've fixed a problem you didn't know you had. Moderator! Hurry, someone even proposed marriage. We saw how that worked out with the marriage of film and digital. There just weren't enough lenses to make it work and scanning just delayed the inevitable breakup of the brand.
Hahahah ...... You are so funny Loveisageless . I love it .
02-08-2011, 09:23 AM   #149
Veteran Member

No comment on the Jeep, but I bet the Olds just went 'Thu-thump", like running over a speed bump.
I hit an 80 pounder at around 40 or so, bent the hell out of my explorers bumper.
Deer-jerky rules and tastes good. Specially road kill that you field dressed in the ditch, right after the deputy gave you a tag for it.
Jeep: Ding to steel hood.

Olds: Front grille and left headlight bucket destroyed, left headlight bracket bent beyond repair, hood latch bracket bent. This happened right before a trip, so I went to the local junkyard for parts and we did facial reconstruction surgery on the car before we left
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #150
Inactive Account

Best. Thread. Ever.

I work at a camera shop and hear this all day long... Thanks for the laugh everyone.

And remember the moral of this thread... If you go looking for problems, you're gonna find them (with anything in life), so don't get pissed and start ranting when you do.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go drop my K5 off at Pentax to have the sensor stains (which I've never seen, but must be there) removed, FF/BF fixed and have them diagnose why I get grainy images at ISO 42 Kajillion. Good thing I have my Stormtrooper as a back-up. ;P