Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Viewfinder curtain

What do people do to block light from entering their viewfinder when their eye is not there? Swapping out the rubber frame (or magnifier in my case) for the plastic cover that comes with the camera seems fairly inconvenient.... (I have a k200d if that is relevant). Or is this really not a problem?

01-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Built-in curtain like those on some Nikon bodies would be nice, but not something I need since I photograph mostly people. For scenery with tripod, I just shield it with my left palm.
01-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

When there is a chance of stray light into the viewfinder may foul up the exposure meter, I use the camera in M mode and set the aperture/shutter speed myself.
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
When there is a chance of stray light into the viewfinder may foul up the exposure meter, I use the camera in M mode and set the aperture/shutter speed myself.
Yeah, good idea, and now that I think about it, probably I am also in M mode most of the time this comes up as well.

However, my real concern is with light leaks through the viewfinder during long exposures. I.e. light from the viewfinder hitting the sensor.

01-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are doing a long exposure it is usually dark out so no problem. If you have a really strong light behind the camera and it is not going to effect the foreground then either stand behind the camera or put your hat on the camera. That’s what I do.

DAZ
01-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hat on the camera. That probably works!

The time I wanted it I was in the city (so there were lights on the house next door that were reasonably bright) but I had the camera pointed at the dark sky for about 10 mins. My photo came out washed out and I wondered if this was the problem. Next time I'll try the hat. Thanks folks.
01-19-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Hat on the camera. That probably works!

The time I wanted it I was in the city (so there were lights on the house next door that were reasonably bright) but I had the camera pointed at the dark sky for about 10 mins. My photo came out washed out and I wondered if this was the problem. Next time I'll try the hat. Thanks folks.
Once you trip the shutter your viewfinder is pretty well blocked off. What you are dealing with is likely light pollution, not light leaking into the viewfinder.

I had to dial down the exposure 4 stops and pull the curves way down to get anything usable in this photo. It was nearly white (78 minutes).

The one below is 5 minutes..

The top photo was taken from the window (different night) shown in the bottom photo.

The only way you are going to kill it is to get away from the light.

01-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a weird style of shooting, especially with my kids, where I like to stick a wide-angle lens right up into whatever they're doing, generally at arm's length. I use the plastic cap. If something happens elsewhere, I can pop the cap off and grab a quick shot with no eyepiece, but for the most part, I keep it covered.
01-19-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, this was what I got after PP. Light pollution was probably my problem.

01-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
If you are doing a long exposure it is usually dark out so no problem. If you have a really strong light behind the camera and it is not going to effect the foreground then either stand behind the camera or put your hat on the camera. That’s what I do.

DAZ
It's a problem when you are doing daytime long exposures.

For this one, I put a cloth I keep in my bag over the viewfinder.