Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Bad thing about the k100d (super)

So guys.. what are the bad things about the k100d (k100d super) ?

I've heard all the good things, but there must be something ... bad ?

10-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I can only compare to my friend's d40... havent really used any others except to handle in the store.

The 'SLAP' of the shutter is REALLY LOUD... especially compared to my friend's d40. No taking pics in secret. Also could be embarrasing at a quiet place like a museum or wedding.

The autofocus is a little on the slow side and seems to 'hunt' a lot more than the d40.

It is much heavier than any of the other cameras in this size/price range.
10-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some people with canons, and Nikon's will snub you, although this isn't necessarily a bad thing

The good thing is that when they don't snub you they won't borrow any lenses from you
10-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by lapeen Quote
The 'SLAP' of the shutter is REALLY LOUD... especially compared to my friend's d40. No taking pics in secret. Also could be embarrasing at a quiet place like a museum or wedding.
Hmm, I thought the K100D had a "Museum" setting for quite operation in those places ??

10-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Some people with canons, and Nikon's will snub you, although this isn't necessarily a bad thing
Hmm, don't understand the "snub" word ?

do you mean someting like them saying "Hmm, Pentax ?? I have a Canon/Nikon" ??

I heard the same in a hospital when I was taking pictures of the newborn of some friends.

The guy asked what camera I had and I said "Canon" he replied something like "Oh, I've got a Sony offcourse it's more expensive (better) then a Canon"
10-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
Hmm, don't understand the "snub" word ?

do you mean someting like them saying "Hmm, Pentax ?? I have a Canon/Nikon" ??

I heard the same in a hospital when I was taking pictures of the newborn of some friends.

The guy asked what camera I had and I said "Canon" he replied something like "Oh, I've got a Sony offcourse it's more expensive (better) then a Canon"
I've seen a couple of people with Canon and Nikon cameras turn their head up at me when they've seen my Pentax.
They seem to feel that they're better than I am because of their camera.
That's what I call snubbing me

Although most people who take good photo's treat me like an equal

I actually have a friend who would only touch camera equipment that said Canon on it.

That is until she saw my K100, now she likes Pentax
Although she'll never own one, she won't snub them now either.

I met her through a forum, so she knew I was getting quality photo's before we ever met.
10-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I've seen a couple of people with Canon and Nikon cameras turn their head up at me when they've seen my Pentax.
They seem to feel that they're better than I am because of their camera.
That's what I call snubbing me

You need a BIGMA to go on the end of that K100D to make the Canikon crowd feel inadequate

My mate has both a Canon D30 and a D400 Despite having these and an Olympus OM-2, i've yet to see him turn out a decent photo; that is one that I would be willing to put on my flickr stream.

Having a big flash camera with Canon/Nikon plastered all over it and white lenses does not automatically make you a photographer. Hell I get better shots from my FSU Zorki-4 than some dSLR users I know.

A mate just recently bought a D80 and is wondering why his VR lens has a slight rattle. Same guy also uses it in the 'Green' mode as he doesn't have a clue about the P,A,S,M settings.

I've found that many Pentax users are more interested in learning how to use their camera's and shoot great images than comparing specs on equipment. That can only be a good thing, right?

10-07-2007, 12:41 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
I've found that many Pentax users are more interested in learning how to use their camera's and shoot great images than comparing specs on equipment. That can only be a good thing, right?
I guess, I could pay more for the K10D and have 10Megapixel over the 6 the K100D offers but at the moment I don't really need those 10MP and after some more reading some experts even claim more megapixel is negative (more noise) at least on lower quality camera's with smaller lenses.

Also the "old" Canon EOS350D and the newer EOS400D have more megapixels then the K100D.

I did try to compair the specs though before deciding to go for Pentax but since I didn't understand much of what they were (focal lenght is still an enigma for me ) it didn't help much.

I'm also interested into making high quality photo's and I don't really care if it's with a Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Agfa (allthough Agfa doesn't do camera's anymore) as long as the result is good.
10-07-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cloudy Wizzard Quote
Hmm, I thought the K100D had a "Museum" setting for quite operation in those places ??
The "museum" setting includes turning off the flash as it is normally not allowed in museums.

"Snub" means to think someone is inferior and make fun of them or ignore them because of some difference, in this case, brand of camera. Snubbers usually have very small genitals.
10-07-2007, 01:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
"Snub" means to think someone is inferior and make fun of them or ignore them because of some difference, in this case, brand of camera. Snubbers usually have very small genitals.

LOL LOL. Too true. and it really makes them feel inferior if you have the Bigma set at 500mm.

As others have said the only real issue with this or other Pentax models is the mirror slap/shutter release is a bit noisy. Other than that I can't think of any problems with the camera. It would have been nice to have an OEM Pentax grip for the body but there are a couple of aftermarket versions showing up. High ISO performance is actually better than the K10D. Not many downsides to this model.
10-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
Forum Member

The grip is a little small for me, my pinky is sticking out and currently the after market grips are hard to buy. ISO can only go up to 200, 100 would be nice in sunny Cali but ND filter would solve that. You cant use auto ISO with EV compensation, will default to 200.

Other than those I think it is a good buy.
10-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

ISO value

This is a not something bad, but I'd like to see the actual ISO value shown as one of the viewfinder indications, not just a warning indication.

Last edited by ddhytz; 10-07-2007 at 05:28 PM.
10-07-2007, 05:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

hay get that new Sigma 100-500 F2.8 lol

i could use one HMMMM now how to get 10,000$ GRRRRR

now some thing bad about the K100D hmmmmm...................................................................................

Pentax disconued the FA* lenes that would work sooooo well on it
10-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #14
DMH
Inactive Account

I looked at a lot of cameras before buying K100d

I looked at the Canon 350 and 400 but their auto focus sensor system was not as advanced as the Pentax and the body was awkward to hold. The K100d may have slower AF but it locks on accurately with few mistakes. Also Canon and Nikon required expensive lenses if you wanted shake reduction. The Sony A100 was my other option but once again, the Pentax felt better ergonomically when I picked it up and the price was way better. The Nikon D80 is a great camera but was much more expensive.

I've managed to acquire a K100d body, an SMC 18- 55 zoom, an SMC 50- 200mm zoom and a 50mm A 1.7 prime lens(used) for about CA$1000. I think that's a selling point right there. Also the fact that lenses are so available and of such good quality for the price pushed me to Pentax.

Now, there are a few negatives I have found which I think are common knowledge now. Auto white balance in not too accurate in incandescent light. I set it manually when indoors. The ISO 200 default with exposure compensation when auto ISO is set is a bit strange, the lack of ISO readout in the viewfinder too, and the fact that the ISO settings don't have a hard button to access them quickly are a few. Most of the time I don't use Auto ISO so the ISO 200 thing is not an issue. After two months however, I am getting used to the controls and these limitations are minor and easily worked around.

As for the 6 mega pixel limitation I haven't really printed that much so I haven't run up against the limitation. The major advantage to me was to move from P and S to DSLR. I must say that in my point and shoot days, my 5 Mpix Casio compact never came close to my 3.2 Mpix Olympus C3000 which still to this day has the most faithful colour reproduction although it's rendered useless due to a built in hard coded software bug.

I do my fair share of cruising in camera stores and have no regrets with my K100D purchase. Maybe in a coupe of years if I outgrow it, it will become my 2nd body and the to-be-announced K2D or K1D will become my primary body.

I have 2 friends with beautiful and very expensive Canon systems a 5D and a 30D but their heavy cameras are usually back at home when they talk about their systems. My k100d because it's easier to carry and less obtrusive is usually on my shoulder.

Not to mention, I kind of like the "we try harder", 2nd tier status of Pentax. There's something inherently efficient about getting the same or better results with a camera system costing so much less .
10-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
You need a BIGMA to go on the end of that K100D to make the Canikon crowd feel inadequate

My mate has both a Canon D30 and a D400 Despite having these and an Olympus OM-2, i've yet to see him turn out a decent photo; that is one that I would be willing to put on my flickr stream.

Having a big flash camera with Canon/Nikon plastered all over it and white lenses does not automatically make you a photographer. Hell I get better shots from my FSU Zorki-4 than some dSLR users I know.

A mate just recently bought a D80 and is wondering why his VR lens has a slight rattle. Same guy also uses it in the 'Green' mode as he doesn't have a clue about the P,A,S,M settings.

Yup! I find that Canon and Nikon but forth a much larger technical hurdle than Pentax. Alot of the stuff Canikon advertises impedes on photographic creativity. There's a D80 shooter at school that can't stop bragging about how fast his 50/1.8 focuses and shoots (3fps). I've yet to see him pull out a well focused burst. I can't totally blame him though, because its partly due to bad advertising. The majority of people that buy into the Canikon brand, do use because of popularity and headline specs like the frame burst and "ultrasonic motors" for ultra fast focusing.