Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

K-7 SR assembly rattle

I'll begin with apologizing for perhaps causing some extra handwringing for the perfectionist crowd here.

I notices that my K-7 had an extra SR assembly noise that I hadn't noticed before when I had it mounted on my tripod today. I'm well aware of the solid clunk that the assembly makes when it moves sideways but this "new" noise is more of a rattle that only occurs when the camera is perfectly level and you gently shake the camera front to back, not side to side. The rattle disappears when exposing* though so I don't believe there should be any problems IQ wise.

I'd just like to know if anyone else's K-7 exhibits the same rattle or if my precious is unique.

*) I did a 15 sec exposure while tapping the body and/or tripod leg and no rattle could be found.

01-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't experienced it but SR should be turned off when you use a tripod it can cause blur is my understanding (could be a side effect of it trying to correct something it shouldn't need to) so i never have it turned on when i use a tripod
01-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Haven't experienced it but SR should be turned off when you use a tripod it can cause blur is my understanding (could be a side effect of it trying to correct something it shouldn't need to) so i never have it turned on when i use a tripod
Yes, SR is turned off (though the SR motors/magnets do activate to hold the sensor still, even when SR is turned off, when exposing). However, the rattle is present even if the camera is turned off completely and both handheld and on tripod. The only criteria is that the camera is absolutely level. If I tilt it forward or backward a bit the rattle disappears.
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'll have to check mine out it's at home right now
I'll let you know if i notice anything

01-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried mine on tripod, quiet as a mouse. Same thing hand held.
Only noise I hear is minor rattle from the lens (DA55-300). Swapped to 16-50 and all is quiet. All this with camera turned off.
Now if I go to live-view, with SR off, then it makes the normal "hissing" sounds.
01-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
OK, thanks for checking. Seems like there is some amount of play somewhere inside mine that is a bit irritating when handling the camera.