Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #1

Mode dial problem on K10d

I've been using my k10 for about a week now and i have a problem (well it seems to be) with the mode dial. For example when i select "Sv (sensitivity priority) on the dial, the screen will display "Av - arpeture priority. It's basically as if the dial is out of alignment or something. None of the modes i physically select on it are the same as what the screen tells me.

10-07-2007, 04:11 PM   #2

Original Poster
Oops sorry guys, I found out the root of my apparent "problem". I was staring at the wrong indicator notch, specifically the little white notch for the metering mode lever.
10-07-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's funny! (sorry) That's the kind of thing to hasten the ol' heart rate!
10-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Plornt Quote
I've been using my k10 for about a week now and i have a problem (well it seems to be) with the mode dial. For example when i select "Sv (sensitivity priority) on the dial, the screen will display "Av - arpeture priority. It's basically as if the dial is out of alignment or something. None of the modes i physically select on it are the same as what the screen tells me.
I had encountered the same problem with my *ist D long time ago. It's a hardware problem of the mode dial inside which the metal contacts have been oxidized. So, a repair is required.

Sadly, last time the Pentax technician who repair the unit very honestly told me that since spare parts were rare, they just used contact cleaner to do the job, instead of replacing the part which had problem. :-((

Well, I just wonder why the mode dial switch was so easy to get "oxidized" afterall, too.. :=((((

10-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Proof POSITIVE of your command of the English language! And of your continuing need to push an agenda---good job!

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I had encountered the same problem with my *ist D long time ago. It's a hardware problem of the mode dial inside which the metal contacts have been oxidized. So, a repair is required.

Sadly, last time the Pentax technician who repair the unit very honestly told me that since spare parts were rare, they just used contact cleaner to do the job, instead of replacing the part which had problem. :-((

Well, I just wonder why the mode dial switch was so easy to get "oxidized" afterall, too.. :=((((
10-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

Maybe you should have read the second post before answering the first. Just because you encounted a problem doesnt mean that everyone with a similar issue has a mechanical problem. Operator error is usually the cause of most problems. Making the initial assumption that the problem "must be" a mechanical problem seems to show a bias against the manufacturer. Obviously in this case you were wrong. Taking the time to read further into the thread could have avoided the fact that you provided poor advise to someone asking for help.
03-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #7

Expert digital in the hands of an amateur that owns a BMW is simply marvelous! I can say been there, done that, and you will look back and ask yourself, "Why did I buy that camera?" coastx/14 March 2011
03-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Here we go again. Someone has the temerity to offer the help they thought was needed and is attacked for it. Does perfection come with seniority?

03-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coastx Quote
Expert digital in the hands of an amateur that owns a BMW is simply marvelous! I can say been there, done that, and you will look back and ask yourself, "Why did I buy that camera?" coastx/14 March 2011

First of all, Coastx, you post is gibberish and makes no sense at all.

More importantly, why in the world did you resurrect a three-plus year old thread? How far back in the list did you have to go? Just for grins, I clicked on the 151 page and it was only back to 2009. You must have had to search back for 300 pages or more.

It wasn't even a very important or interesting thread!
03-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
noblepa, google can bring things up and dump them on the first page But I agree

coastx is by the way on a mission to resurrect old threads; found this one from december 2006 through google and coastx posted on the 14th of march 2011
03-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #11

Doesn't matter does it? Information is what it is. What's up with the criticism? It sounds gay.
03-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #12

Some kind of passive aggressive psychopathy, maybe. Got to deal with all kinds. In the meanwhile, there are cameras in need of repair, and the more we do that business the healthier this blog will be, ya?
03-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by coastx Quote
Some kind of passive aggressive psychopathy, maybe. Got to deal with all kinds. In the meanwhile, there are cameras in need of repair, and the more we do that business the healthier this blog will be, ya?
You still aren't making any sense. This thread shouldn't have gone beyond the second post. It turns out that the problem was a simple user mistake.

If you're trying to show that Pentax has a history of hardware problems in their cameras, this thread doesn't show it. There was absolutley nothing wrong with the user's K10D.

Besides, the K10D is, in dslr marketing terms, ancient history. It has been succeeded by the K20D, the K7 and now the K5.

Again, I ask, what is the point of bringing this up again? If you want an issue, find something that is, at least, a REAL issue. This was simple user error.

BTW, I'm not trying to be aggressive, passive or otherwise. I just don't see the point. This thread does not show "cameras in need of repair".
03-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #14

Paul, why so territorial with reality? It's a bit of a wild leap to go from camera talk and humor to intrapersonal dynamic that has nothing to do with the discussion. Figuring why someone thinks a certain way takes this into the Twilight Zone. It's a better discussion if we stay on topic, even when there's a time lapse that may be to your disliking. I can give you a clinical read on your demeanor if you like, but it doesn't mean anything to getting on with the forum. You feeling me? Or, do you absolutely have to press this into a personal issue?