Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuchulainn Quote
Lovely shots! I'm guessing that, as you mention it being a family heirloom, you'll keep the KX? Please do as you've certainly got a way with it!
You can bet on it! That little tank ain't goin' nowhere.

I ended up going with that KX. I went into town and actually had a look at my savings, and it turns out I had a couple more hundred than what I'd thought, so I took the plunge and plopped it on that KX. Honestly, trust me, I'm usually not so reckless. ^^;

At least this way I'll be able to keep a float for a little longer before really becoming obsolete. I'm still surprised it was so cheap for only a two year old model. Except it is coming with the 18-55mm and not that other one, 50mm-something, I can't remember. I'm a beginner really, I have a hard time remembering lens numbers unless I actively memorize, is the 18-55mm in the review database? I had a look and I found about 5 different types, lol.

01-22-2011, 12:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats; enjoy your new toy.

There are curently 4 types of the kit lens
DA 18-55 AL
DA 18-55 AL-II
DA-L 18-55 AL
DA 18-55 AL WR

The first one is the 'original'. Pentax modified the optical formula when the K10D/K200D came out so the lens could keep up with the newer sensors. That was the Al-II version.
The DA-L version is the cheaper version of the AL-II; no lens hood (get one), no quick shift (you can not turn the focus ring while in AF), no distance markings on the focus ring (if I'm not mistaken) and a plastic mount.
And the WR is the weather resistant version (comes as the kitlens with K5/K7 and maybe K20D (not sure))

The last three are said to be optically the same.
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The first one is the 'original'. Pentax modified the optical formula when the K10D/K200D came out so the lens could keep up with the newer sensors. That was the Al-II version.
AL-II came out with the K20D. K10D came with the original AL.
01-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You'll like the KX & DA-L 18-55 (if that is what you have). My wife is very pleased with hers. We got a lens hood for it at KEH. This may not work for you in Australia, however.

01-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
AL-II came out with the K20D. K10D came with the original AL.
Thanks for the correction; thought that the AL-II was actually the kit lens for the K200D as well. And as that one has the same sensor as the K10D my assumption was that it was the kit lens for the K10D as well, especially as I got my one with the AL-II (possibly a mistake in the shop).
01-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Thanks for the correction; thought that the AL-II was actually the kit lens for the K200D as well.
It is, I have it, came with the K200D. K20D and K200D were released at about the same time, well after the K10D.
01-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lindethiel Quote
You can bet on it! That little tank ain't goin' nowhere.

I ended up going with that KX. I went into town and actually had a look at my savings, and it turns out I had a couple more hundred than what I'd thought, so I took the plunge and plopped it on that KX. Honestly, trust me, I'm usually not so reckless. ^^;

At least this way I'll be able to keep a float for a little longer before really becoming obsolete. I'm still surprised it was so cheap for only a two year old model. Except it is coming with the 18-55mm and not that other one, 50mm-something, I can't remember. I'm a beginner really, I have a hard time remembering lens numbers unless I actively memorize, is the 18-55mm in the review database? I had a look and I found about 5 different types, lol.
You may want to get the 55-300 to complement with the 18-55 . The 55-300 is really a very good lens . You can get the one of the DA L version in the Market Place of this forum ro save you some money .