Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Recommend a 2nd Hand 1st DSLR?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I shoot with an old KX SLR, don't have the set up at home for a dark room, (no window-less rooms,) nor the financial support for all those chemicals. So my reels go to the drugstore for developing and then I do my own processing in PS.

This is the kinda stuff I'm getting on film now. (Been shooting for about 2 and a half years now.)

I'm looking to get a DSLR, simply for the convenience of not relying on an outside facility to develop. At the end of the day it's cheaper too, with film going for $7 a reel at the least, aside from buying it in bulk online. I feel I'll have more freedom to experiment too. It's quicker, I don't have to worry about running outta reels or missing opportunities while re-loading. Plus I can shoot, edit and post within a shorter period.

I'm looking to get something second hand on ebay for a couple of hundred dollars, so my question is, what are some of the good ones? Pentax DSLR's that I'm still going to get a good use out off, regardless of many of them being outdated against the new K-5 and such?

I'm only after the body as I'm set for lenses. (At least... for now. )

I'm more interested in the sensor than the megapixel of course. I just want something to get my feet wet.

Any recommendations or tips would be awesome!

01-19-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D or K-x are solid second-hand options - I'd recommend one of those if you're looking for cost-effectiveness.

Here you can compare those bodies against each other and against the new K-5: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K10D vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Lovely shots you have there. I second the K10D. If you're used to shooting in manual, you'll probably prefer the dual-controls of the K10D over the single of the K-x.
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second Adam's recommendation, though I might stretch the budget and go for a K20D. In any case be sure to set aside a bit of money for SD cards, and, eventually, for a new hard drive or two.

01-19-2011, 10:22 PM   #5

While I would second Adam's recommendations, you need to start with how much you want to spend. Check the online used sources such as Adorama, KEH, eBay, or the marketplace at this site. In the USA, sometimes great deals can be found via classified ads in Craiglist or large city newspapers.

Good Luck,

Jim
01-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Another thing to keep in mind is a wide-angle lens. With the crop factor, your 28mm "becomes" a 42mm. If you pick up a used body bundled with a kit lens, that'll get you to 18mm (27 eq.)
01-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent work above.
All depends on your intended budget.
If megapixels aren't the issue, then I'd even suggest a K100D Super, which offers that beautiful 6Mp Sony CCD sensor - vibrant colours and excellent fidelity.
K-x would be the next suggestion, if funds suffice, but otherwise a K10D is an excellent choice - still a CCD sensor but a robust build and professional features and useability.

01-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Had a quick browse on ebay, why are the K10D's going for more than the KX's?

This has caught my eye...

NEW PENTAX K-x DSLR CAMERA 18-55mm KIT WHITE~KX 18-55m (eBay item 290524246627 end time 21-Jan-11 10:26:44 AEDST) : Photography

At this point, I just wanna upgrade, lol, I'm tired of just imagining it in the distant future.
01-20-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lindethiel Quote
Had a quick browse on ebay, why are the K10D's going for more than the KX's?

This has caught my eye...

NEW PENTAX K-x DSLR CAMERA 18-55mm KIT WHITE~KX 18-55m (eBay item 290524246627 end time 21-Jan-11 10:26:44 AEDST) : Photography

At this point, I just wanna upgrade, lol, I'm tired of just imagining it in the distant future.
I don't know why the prices on the K10d vs K-x, they are two completely different cameras. I would recommend however that Any Used dSLR you buy, make sure it comes with the cables and software. In some cases, you need the original disks to get the upgrades from Pentax (not to download them but to install them). Since used is an option you're willing to entertain, have a quick browse here in the marketplace.

01-20-2011, 04:45 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D - older generation, but weather-sealed and robust build with pro-features at your fingertips.
The K-x - nifty, small, capable, great sensor, not weather-sealed, not as robust as K10D, lots of features, more fiddling with buttons and menus (if that matters).

Both good in their place - but the K-x is a great beginner's camera.
01-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

K200D - same sensor as the K10 (good IQ), Weather sealed, takes AA batteries like the K-X, beginners camera like the K-X, has some pro features like the K10 (battery grip, cable shutter release), costs less than K10.
01-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

For used cameras, reliable sources from all indications I've seen are keh.com and adorama.com
01-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll second the quality of your film photographs. The suggestions above are all good. I might add that K20D's are coming down rapidly in price and are really nice cameras. I particularly like the ability to adjust the focus for each lens that I use on mine. I'll get a K5 before too long, but I still like my K20D.
01-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
Lovely shots! I'm guessing that, as you mention it being a family heirloom, you'll keep the KX? Please do as you've certainly got a way with it!

I'd agree that, on a budget, a K10 or K20 will be better for you as you'll have direct access to the settings in a way closer to the film slr you have. Both are still excellent cameras.
01-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Forum Member

well if you want really cheap, KEH or Adorama have a few ist-DS for under $200.

certainly the K10/K20 are better cameras (e.g. weather-sealed and they have shake reduction) but if you really just want to spend $200 and you will be using your old Pentax-M lenses, then an ist-DS is plenty.

I must admit that there's something almost visceral about taking out my P3N... very simple. In a way that's what you'd get with one of the older cameras.