Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax O-ICK1 Cleaning Stick/Artic Butterfly

Hi All -

I'm enjoying my new K-5 (first DSLR for me). It has a couple stubborn dust spots that the Rocket Blower couldn't get off. Honestly, I think the blower just pushed them to where they are now. I purchased some Eclipse when I had a chance to, but I'm not very comfortable with using a wet cleaner.

What I'm looking for are suggestions on other sensor cleaners that others have used with success, that aren't a wet method. The two things I'm looking at trying are the Pentax O-ICK1 rubber stick "thingy" and the Arctic Butterfly. I'm really curious about the O-ICK1 if anyone has experience. Thoughts on the Butterfly would be great too.

Thanks,

Drew

01-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #2

Hi there!

Sorry, I can't help you. Just want to keep the thread alive. Because I'm very interested, too.

Which one is better or safer to use. Don't want to destroy my camera.
01-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you positive that it's dust and not stains on the sensor like many people are reporting about the K-5?
01-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #4

I'm interested too. I took some f22 photos of the moon yesterday and thought I had inadvertently discovered a transient alien spacecraft with the ability to transpose itself instantaneously around the lunar surface. Turns out it was a speck of dust.

I've had my k7 for over a year and have had almost zero problems with dust. I do take borderline clinical care of it though as I do with all my equipment. I have a Canon A1 that I bought new in 1980 & it still looks new. I keep my lenses in plastic bags & have extra caps available for lens changes. I've only run the sensor cleaner a few times because every time I've done a check for it the image is perfectly clean.

Yesterday I stopped the lens down and took a photo under bright sunlight and noticed a few very faint dots. With everything I read about dust I guess I've been very fortunate. I would like to know what the next step beyond a blower is though. I don't want to touch the sensor if I don't have to.

01-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

after a blower the Pentax kit or the artic butterfly or the other kits like the Pentax kit are the options All touch the sensor. personally i find the butterfly an insane waste of money the Pentax kit will likely outlast your camera it is needed so infrequently
the butterfly also is a metal piece that if you slipped would cause damage before the Pentax sticks would

I actually cleaned mine with a medical grade q tip in a push when i had nothing else (took it from a first aid kit i had with me) very lightly swept from one side to the other no ill effect. I emphasize very gently. you aren't scrubbing pots
01-20-2011, 03:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Pauld: Yes, I'm VERY sure this is just dust, being this is my FOURTH K-5 after battling the stain issue for two months.

I know the stain like the back of my hand.
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

4th Wow! I'd be losing my shit if it were another stain. If you have any doubts about cleaning the sensor yourself, why not take it and have it cleaned by a repair shop. At least if they screw up the sensor you can blame them!
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Here's my take on the subject..

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/121739-those-...ur-photos.html

I agree with Eddie. Don't waste your money on the $90 spinning paintbrush. Just like your blower, all it will do is slide the dust around. Eclips is a last resort.

01-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So far I have yet to suffer from dust spots that cannot be removed by the ARCTIC BUTTERFLY system, therefore I have not needed to try the O-ICK1.

I have used it for close to 2 years now on my K10D and NIKON D80
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly has been great for me. I use the sensor brush and the focus-screen/mirror brush. I never have a speck of dust in my OVF or on my sensor for long!

Some facts however.

1. Blowing can work with one caveat; it depends on your environment. It could very well introduce more dust, just move the dust and or put it into an area you don't want like the OVF!

2. A dry cleaning method such as Pentax O-ICK1 or the AB are both good and work, but not always!

3. A wet cleaning is the only way to remove stubborn contaminates stuck to the AA filter. Any wet cleaning is OK and fairly safe. I have used Visibles Dust wet cleaning swabs (I purchased the travel kit from them) with never a problem of any kind. But any will work. There is not much that can go wrong. Your not touching the sensor but a hardened cover over the sensor. Just follow directions to the letter.

I don't promote any one brand but do promote not using a blower in your camera on a regular basis. My IMHO best advice is having a kit that has the ArticButterfly or Pentax O-ICK1 and some wet cleaning method; oh an yes a high quality (like GIOTTO'S Rocket Blower) to blow off dust from your lens before wiping. Or a gentle puff on your focus-screen to try and remove dust in that area.
01-20-2011, 10:58 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone. JeffJS, great article. I think I'll order the O-ICK1 tomorrow and give it a try. I'll let you all know how it works.

Pauld, I'd love to have that luxory, but I live in a pretty isolated part of Colorado, and the nearest shop that could clean it is at least three hours away.

Drew
01-29-2011, 09:46 AM   #12

Original Poster
Ok -

So I have some good news. My O-ICK1 arrived along with some of the Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs. I started with the O-ICK1 hoping that it would get all of the dust off the sensor. It came very close, getting nearly everything. In the process, it did place a large speck of dust that I couldn't remove again, so I did have to go to the sensor swabs with the eclipse. This got the rest of it, and now my sensor looks pretty much immaculate.

I have very shaky hands though, and using the O-ICK1 was a bit of a challenge. I had to hold it with both hands to keep it under control. Overall, I highly recommend both products, but I'm extremely happy with the O-ICK1 (just wish it had a dif. name).

Thanks again for all the feedback.
01-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Glad it worked for you. I worry sometimes about giving advice, especially when it comes to touching the sensor, as something can always go wrong.

Now let's see some photos!