Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Low ISO chroma noise?

I have a K-7 and I noticed a night shot had a lot of blue chroma noise in it but I was above ISO 1000 in that shot. So I did the sensor sweep in camera and that seemed to make it better.

But the other day I used my 50mm, at night, at IS0 250 and handheld at a slower shutter speed, enough that it was sharp enough. Maybe 1/8 second? It exposed close to proper in the bright areas lit by building lights.

But I zoomed in to the 1:1 view and there were all the blue spots which I assume is chroma noise everywhere and that was in the brightest part of the scene.

Is that normal?

UPDATE: Ok I realized that while I shot this at IS0 250 I was using Picasa and had to add fill light and sharpening. Doing so, while looking 1:1 in Picasa made this shot all blue chroma noise everywhere. So maybe it is just the K-7 sucks more than my DL in dark areas. I don't see that same effect on the DL.

Here are some comparison shots anyway. Maybe I am just expecting too much of this camera.
The shot I am worried about is the girl smoking by the metal pillars ISO 250.

http://picasaweb.google.com/corvairfan/NoisyLowIso#

Last edited by Corvairfan; 01-20-2011 at 05:38 PM.
01-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I would say that ISO250, 1/8 sec, having some degree of noise in the shadow areas is normal. But posting the pic would help tremendously.