Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Give up SR and get a thinner camera?

I just received my IR *istD today. I noticed that this camera is THIN! It feels smaller than my K-x, which isn't actually the case, as the only dimension it is smaller at is the thickness from the mount to the back of LCD.

I suspect that with Pentax's obsession with all things tiny, they would probably want to produce a thinner camera (as shown by the *ist, but cannot because of the inclusion of SR.

Of course it wouldn't be NEX-thin as the mechanics of K-mount doesn't allow for that. But LCD and snesor technologies keep improving everyday. If Sony can make an LCD so thin for the NEX, I think the tech is out there to make a thinner camera. If I can get something just slightly above ME-super thin, with retro styling, I'll be a happy camper... who's with me?

01-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would definitely be interested in a thinner camera (with APS-C size sensor) to complement my K-7 when I travel; would be ideal if it can share the same lens with or without adapter.

Last edited by aleonx3; 01-20-2011 at 10:35 AM.
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I've been wondering whether it's possible to do SR in camera/software during raw conversion, based on data from an on-board accelerometer... If the direction and magnitude of travel/shake is recorded in exif then some clever programmer might be able to assign the "mis-hits" to the correct photosites.

Regarding thinness, I'd only care if it made the camera pocketable - which would mean NEX-thin or thinner.
01-20-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I kind of doubt any extra thinness really would outweigh having to buy and tote around lens-based SR. It seems more likely they'll just find ways to make the SR systems thinner, anyway, and I really do expect LCDs to get thinner and thinner, themselves, which seems to be the biggest difference, anyway. A camera's LCD is so small compared to like a TV that they'll probably be the first place we'll see such new tech as they're already talking about.

01-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My Optio W80's body is an inch thick and has SR. I think there's much more to it than SR or LCD. The distance necessary between lens and sensor is probably the biggest factor.
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

No, i think the biggest factor is focal length. Since the P&S has such a short FL, the sensor needs to jiggle by a proportionally smaller amount. And since the sensor is also smaller, you need far less beefy actuators.

Electronic image stabilization has been around for years in camcorders. Basically the CCD "overscans" (has some extra pixels outside the recorded area). The video jiggles around and the image falls onto those extra pixels, and some electronics un-jiggles the image and shifts the off-recorded-area pixels onto the recorded area. (hope that makes sense!)

Not so sure it will work for stills. For video it works because you're taking 30 frames/second and the jiggling-correction isn't obvious to the eye.

It is telling that Sony (which does that electronic de-jiggle) doesn't do it for their still cameras (they boost the ISO). If Sony can't do it... then nobody can. (Sony was the 2nd company to commercialize CCD's in the 1970's after Fairchild.. so they have been doing digital imaging longer than almost everybody else).
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm not convinced the SR mechanism add a lot of thickness, and in any event, no, I am not willing to give up SR.
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

It doesn't look like the SR system takes up a terrible amount of space.

Digital Cameras and Accessories - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Going with a thinner display tech like OLED might allow them to squeeze some space out.

The k-mount register distance is 45.56 mm and the depth of a k-x is 67.5 mm. So the sensor, sensor board, SR back plate, case, and display are all squeezed into ~22 mm of space.

EDIT: I just checked and the *istD is 60 mm deep.

01-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I think anyone who wants pentax to drop SR wants to see pentax fail as a company. They would be commuting suicide if they did because they would then be the only company without some form of SR and it would force many away. Many more than they would gain by a 2-3mm slimmer case
01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think anyone who wants pentax to drop SR wants to see pentax fail as a company. They would be commuting suicide if they did because they would then be the only company without some form of SR and it would force many away. Many more than they would gain by a 2-3mm slimmer case
Well it's not like I want them to drop SR, I'm just wondering why istD, with its 'outdated' tech, managed to have a thinner total depth. This camera depth thing is just one of my beefs with current DSLR generation, and seeing the NEX kind of excites me a bit, since it proves that digital APS-C doesn't have to be thick. How thick is the assembly behind the sensor on the NEX anyway? Can one not be excited to imagine an ME Super sized DSLR + DA 40 combo? I was guessing the thickness of the current crop was caused by the SR mechanism. Or maybe the bigger LCDs of today also requires way more space, I don't know.

I'm not saying that I want pentax to give up SR; I'm just saying that if it is possible have a crop sensor ME Super, and I have to give up SR for it, I'll be in line for one. In fact, I'll give up the 3' LCD for it. Just a small LCD that I'll use mainly for histogram would be great.
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed SR is here to stay - it'd have to be one of those legacy characteristics that shapes Pentax's niche. The *ist D is a fantastic little body no doubt - I also don't see how SR made future bodies bigger - to me it was more of a case for ergonomics.

Sounds like you'd be in line for an EVIL camera, Andi.
01-21-2011, 05:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I would agree with Ash here. While the *istD is a great little camera it is actually hard to hold when a big lens is attached
01-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If Pentax looses SR (which they will not do, I'm sure) then I'll be leaving. SR makes so much sense, I'd be willing to sacrifice almost everything else before it.
01-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sounds like you'd be in line for an EVIL camera, Andi.
I probably am alright... I find the K-x almost too big these days when I walk with the wife
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I probably am alright... I find the K-x almost too big these days when I walk with the wife
That's ironic. I find my wife to big when I'm walking with my K20D.