Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A lament for the mechanical aperture coupling

Where, oh where have you gone, my old friend?

So is it totally pointless to hope that some day we will once again have cameras with a mechanical aperture coupling? I sure do miss using Av with old lenses. Alright, one extra push of my thumb to get a meter reading really isn't that bad, but wouldn't you think that Pentax would offer it, given that backwards compatibility is one of their major selling points? It's not like the technology is hard to come by...

10-07-2007, 09:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Having had that on past cameras, and not having it now, I can't see the advantage of it. Please explain to me why you want it? I'd really like to know why others miss it.
10-07-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ironically, with the exception of Leica, only Nikon kept their aperture coupling and only in their pro line of Dslrs. Panasonic brought it back (albeit electronically). Lei

Aperture coupling allows for one to use the aperture ring and not a simple jog dial on the back. Or with pre KA-Mount lenses, not having to hit the AE-L button.

It lowers response speed with K Mount lenses because you need to simulaneously track, focus, set aperture and remember to hit the AE-L for metering BEFORE you take the shot.

Last edited by FotoPete; 10-07-2007 at 09:47 PM.
10-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So it's only missed with non-auto lenses?

10-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So it's only missed with non-auto lenses?
Well, yes.

But when a) they are the majority of lenses on the used market, b) they are the best-made and best-handling lenses out there, and c) they are the most affordable lenses you can buy, then a mechanical aperture coupling becomes sorely missed.

Especially when the camera doesn't meter precisely and you have to constantly add a little EV bump with every new meter reading. Just using Av and adjusting the EV dial ONCE would be a wonderful feature. Hell, even my ZX-M has it, and it's only 8 years old!

Hey, at least I didn't start in on the lack of availability of a split prism focusing screen that meters correctly...