Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragra Quote
Honestly: I don't know which 1.01.xx.xx version.
It was the one I downloaded from the German site.
Ah... but one of the finest is a German utility (for the PC) -
PhotoME

Open any recent original photo from the K-x with PhotoME
then do a Ctrl-F (for find) and type in firm -
to see the full firmware version #.

01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
turn it on while pressing the MENU button

if it is v1.0 than an update is a must
thanks, i was 1.0. updated to 1.02
01-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Has the Timer issue been fixed to allow use during HDR photo's ?

I want to be able to take HDR photo's with a tripod and timer/remote.

Last edited by MrCyberdude; 01-29-2011 at 09:04 AM.
01-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCyberdude Quote
Has the Timer issue been fixed to allow use during HDR photo's ?

I want to be able to take HDR photo's with a tripod and timer/remote.
Issue? I assume by that you mean behaviour that you or others don't find suitable to your needs?
In any case, No. Sorry to disappoint, nothing has been changed there, the support website and the 1.02 ReadMe.txt file are correct.

Fwiw: I don't like it either but it's not a "fault", it was never claimed to exist (and didn't work), nor was it promised for the future. Always seemed to me to be internal design limitations.
That was one of the reasons why I bought a K-r -- both manual 2s and remote 3s can be enabled when HDR is in effect. (Hint: don't take notice of the klooless kiddies who say K-r is only a K-x with a larger LCD)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-28-2011 at 09:21 AM.
01-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I'm not going to get into an extended conversation with you Hypocorism,
but the timer function really should just replace the manual shutter button operation so as to reduce shakes, and this should be available across its features.

This HDR feature cannot be operated with the remote either. What a joke.

The timer operation should be standard and so should firmware updates/fixes/improvements and as such I very much doubt I will buy another digital Pentax after said lack of support or at the very least an official explaination as to why the HDR timer is not enabled.

I have brought and used Pentax for 25+ Years and I really feel burnt by this crippled feature. MrCyberdude

Last edited by MrCyberdude; 01-29-2011 at 09:03 AM.
01-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm not going to get into an extended conversation with you Hypocorism,
but the timer function really should just replace the manual shutter button operation so as to reduce shakes, and this should be available across its features.

This HDR feature cannot be operated with the remote either. What a joke.

The timer operation should be standard and so should firmware updates/fixes/improvements and as such I very much doubt I will buy another digital Pentax after said lack of support or at the very least an official explaination as to why the HDR timer is not enabled.

I have brought and used Pentax for 25+ Years and I really feel burnt by this crippled feature. MrCyberdude
When you buy the cheapest model of a car would you complain about the lack of features? Other brands have limitations also: Nikon doesn't have screwdrive coupler on their cheaper cameras. The cheapest Canon 1000D is just cheaply made and Pentax K-x looks and performs much better.

Bottom line is all entry level models have their own limitations, yet Pentax will give you the most features from all entry level dSLRs. If you are not satisfied with it you have to pay an extra for the next upper model, in your case the K-r.

cheers,
d
01-29-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Even an ancient Russian Zenit has a fully working timer. (it's basic)
How hard can it be for Pentax to do either of the following.

1. Enable the Timer
or
2. Explain why they cannot or will not fix this most asked issue.

I purchased the Kx as I had other lens that can be used with it and as a trial before I purchased a better Full frame digital Camera. As after one becomes accustomed with the menus it becomes the one you stick with.

The fact the Pentax have not done either of the 2 items above in over a year leaves me with the impression that they are a company that are not interested in their customers concerns. Just like the battery issue with the K-x when it first came to light. It was like Pentax had their head in the sand or thought it will go away or maybe that the users would live with it.

If this is the type of support that Pentax give then I would be hard pressed to spend another cent on them again. I am very sure that I am not alone in feeling this way.

By the way HDR does work with a Pentax IR Remote.
So why cant it be done by the self timer?

MrCyberdude

01-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #23

MrCyberDude, did you know the HDR function works with IR remote? Although the mirror isn't locked upped it makes it usable IMO. But I agree with you, it was inane to disable the timer function.

I think it was just as bad to make bracketing and the timer function mutually exclusive.
01-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #24

Someone in the news forum reported better exposure when using the built-in flash (less burnt out) with 1.02. No one else has reported the same thing though.

Last edited by piesforyou; 01-29-2011 at 10:11 AM.
01-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
MrCyberDude, did you know the HDR function works with IR remote? Although the mirror isn't locked upped it makes it usable IMO. But I agree with you, it was inane to disable the timer function.

I think it was just as bad to make bracketing and the timer function mutually exclusive.
Thanks, I had already edited my posts before you replied.

I am still awaiting the advertised Time Lapse Feature which I read from pentax's own web site so long ago.

A very quick search on you tube mentions it at 0:22 seconds in this clip.

Has Time Lapse been enabled in the 1.02 Firmware?
01-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #26

Thanks, I had already edited my posts before you replied.

I am still awaiting the advertised Time Lapse Feature which I read from pentax's own web site so long ago.

A very quick search on you tube mentions it at 0:22 seconds in this clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpXWHIdk9LY

Has Time Lapse been enabled in the 1.02 Firmware?
Oh that's such a shame! Time lapse would have been amazing. I hate to see such an awesome product deliberately crippled like that.
01-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
Oh that's such a shame! Time lapse would have been amazing. I hate to see such an awesome product deliberately crippled like that.
K-x is a entry level model with limitations. Buy K-r for timelapse and more sophisticated timer.

And much more.
01-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #28

With firmware 1.02, there is a wrong exposure in LIVEVIEW with the lens FA 50mm 1.4.

For F=1.4 or F=1.8 there is an underexposure of about 3 stops.

I reinstalled firmware 1.01, it works fine with my FA 1.4 (in liveview)!
Someone else have had this issue?

Last edited by gflauti; 01-30-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: the name of the lens was incomplete
01-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #29

K-x is a entry level model with limitations. Buy K-r for timelapse and more sophisticated timer.

And much more.
Thanks.
01-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #30
elg
Forum Member

And much more.
K-r is entry level too. K-5 replaced the K-7, so K-r is replacing the K-x. Pentax could introduce many of the same features to the K-x via firmware (except those that are dependent on the hardware), but they do not want to cripple their K-r sales, do they?

K-r has better screen, focus point highlight and faster continuous shooting mode, and that's basically it. Everything else are mostly firmware differences.

Cheers,
Erika

Last edited by elg; 01-29-2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: grammar fix