Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I just discovered that my K20D will display Live View images on my PC screen if I have the USB cable connected. Pretty cool!
QuoteOriginally posted by Reps Quote
How is that? With which software in use etc. ?
Thanks in advance, JR
OK, me bad!! After trying to replicate this, it didn't work! So, sitting here wondering WTH - I realized that I'd also been playing around with both the USB and the video cable!! So, live view on my monitor was with the video cable plugged directly into the AV input on the monitor, NOT on the PC.

Still, a neat feature that I didn't know the camera could do. All of the menus, etc display on the monitor, not on the rear LCD.

01-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
on the K5 at least you can compare two images side by side, zooming in on both at the same time (or move them around at the same time) to check the detail. Pretty cool function that I use at least once every couple of days or so.
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
K-x & K-r support that, and K-r goes steps further incl. allowing you to play a challenge game of 1 image against another over IR.
Brilliant! - I have a K-x and didn't know this was available -
I know RTFM -
but it's not a feature I would have looked for -
so a BIG thank you for that!

Just for those who may not have figured this out - here's how the K-x does it -
on page: 214 of TFM

Really like this thread - thank you to knoxploration for starting it
- it's not just about finding UNdocumented features -
but for things that might not be so obvious
or even obvious to some but not so obvious for others like:
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
SR.

Apparently it's activated when the hand shows up.
01-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I wish I could give credit, but I don't remember who said it (just recently). Works on any camera.

If you want manual focus override with a non-DA lens, while in AF with the camera at your eye, just reach over a smidge and press the lens-release button, which also retracts the AF pin, leaving your focus ring free.

GENIUS!
01-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Wireless slave control with the pop up flash on my *istD
How does this work? Will it work between a K7 and K100DS?

01-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Seamripper Quote
How does this work? Will it work between a K7 and K100DS?
should have been more specific, this is for high speed sync.

I can use the pop up on the *istD to control a wireless slave for HSS. Can't do that on the K10 or K7
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

for me with the k7 so far it has to be the level I love the feature (though I use the gridlines on my split image viewfinder to much the same effect)
01-28-2011, 03:10 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery
On the K-X also. In the manual, as are all these 'discoveries'.
01-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Probably the biggest feature I didn't know my K10D had was the ability to "trap focus" or "catch in focus", which is the ability to use the auto focus capability of the camera with manual lenses. I read about it in a forum thread and it's a feature I regularly use. This feature is well covered in the manuals of newer models.

01-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
Pentaxian

TaV comes to mind. For us film guys, changing the ASA mid shoot was a no no. You could push or pull film, but you had to do the whole roll. With TAV you set Aperture and shutter speed and the camera selects the ISO. What a concept.
01-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
TaV comes to mind. For us film guys, changing the ASA mid shoot was a no no. You could push or pull film, but you had to do the whole roll. With TAV you set Aperture and shutter speed and the camera selects the ISO. What a concept.
+1 If I used more lenses with the Auto Aperture function i would use this all the time
01-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlaubza Quote
On the K-X also. In the manual, as are all these 'discoveries'.
Perhaps you didn't intend it, but the quotes around 'discoveries' make your post come across as unnecessarily pejorative. Guess what? The very first post in this thread stated that the discoveries I personally made were probably in the manual, and I then went on to suggest talking about things people similarly didn't realize their camera had. At no point did I suggest that we could only discuss things that weren't in the manual.

These cameras have very big (and yet still, in places, not entirely detailed enough) manuals, and I'd be willing to bet there are things in the manual that you too either didn't know, or had forgotten, your camera could do.

Many of us will have known about plenty of the features in this thread already, but that doesn't mean everybody does -- and it's the folks who don't that the thread is intended for. If you're not interested, you don't have to read it -- there's no need to mock others for not being as perfect as yourself at reading the manual.