Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tethering app works !

Beta, but works and with some older models too.
If you've ever wanted tethering for your K200D or K10d then this should do it.
Tethered K200D ! ! - K200D Users - PentaxForums.com

https://sites.google.com/a/pentax.org.pl/tomaszkos/en/pk_tether

QuoteQuote:
PK_Tether allow connect and control Pentax cameras from PC. Currently supported are: k-x, K7, K5, k-r, K20D, K10D, K200.

01-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Already quite a lot of post on the PK tether
01-20-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Already quite a lot of post on the PK tether
I guess people find it interesting then, popularity being one of the indicators.
But thanks for pointing it out.
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kryss Quote
............I am amused that anyone would risk wanting a rinky dink ...... program like this on there cameras.
and I am amused you think the app resides on the camera.

Last edited by Parallax; 01-20-2011 at 05:29 PM.
01-20-2011, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I think this is great idea for copying my old slides to digital!
01-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow, another use ! I had not thought of that one. Thank you !.
Yes, plan to spend this wet weekend trialling PK_tether.
So far the standard interface works and I can take and view shots.
Great for macro !
Aha, when I change the focal length of the kit lens it is shown in the interface in real time.
It allows raw too, great.
This will be fun with a capital F.
01-24-2011, 01:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just an update on system requirements to run PK_Tether.

I couldn't find any info so did some (unrefined) experimentation.

Runs smoothly on an old (2001 ?) AMD athlonxp 1800+ (1531Mhz cpu)
with 512 Mb Ram and an old Nvidia MMX400 graphics card.(64Mb)
Windows XP Home.

Anything better should be a doddle.

Tried a Pentium P3 and 384Mb Ram with on-board graphics and the app ran but locked up after a couple of shots and froze the camera.(K200D)
Turning the camera off would not clear the freeze (top lcd remained showing "PC" even with the switch in off mode)
Opened the battery compartment to break the contacts then re-closed and this cleared the lock-up.
Verdict, too few resources on this old pc. Not recommended.

Note that it takes a few moments when the app starts for it to recognise the camera and once a shot is taken there is a lag before it shows on-screen.
This is the limitation of usb-2 transfer rates. ...same as when downloading conventionally from camera or card-reader.

To run the app you need the .Net 3.5 framework installed.(Or better ?)

You may have it already with newer versions of windows but I needed to install it on my machines running XP .(32Bit)

Get it here..
Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Scroll down to the bottom and get the full package. (its a biggie (200+ Mb.)

Install it then get the update...
An update for the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is available
and install that..

Then download PK_Tether, extract it and when you click in the exe it opens.

(the first couple of start ups seem to have error messages so open it a couple of times without the camera attached and once it opens without errors then close, attach camera, turn camera on, wait a few seconds, then start PK_Tether again and all should be sweet.

Last edited by bobD; 01-24-2011 at 02:22 AM.
01-24-2011, 01:58 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bobD Quote

Note that it takes a few moments when the app starts for it to recognise the camera and once a shot is taken there is a lag before it shows on-screen.
This is the limitation of usb-2 transfer rates. ...same as when downloading conventionally from camera or card-reader.
Usb provides in theory 60MB/s transfer rate (or 480mbit) far more than a picture is.
On my laptop the picture appears almost instantly (4 year old dell laptop) so I would search for the lag problem somewhere else.

But if you use a usb 1.1 port there will be lag offcourse.
01-24-2011, 02:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stafflover Quote
Usb provides in theory 60MB/s transfer rate (or 480mbit) far more than a picture is.
On my laptop the picture appears almost instantly (4 year old dell laptop) so I would search for the lag problem somewhere else.

But if you use a usb 1.1 port there will be lag offcourse.
Good point.
Hmmmm, lag is consistent over a number of machines (all have usb-2 on board or with pci card add-ons.) so I guess it is camera based.
Wonder if the SD card is involved and the class of card/buffer speed is the limiting factor.
I have a K200D, sdhc class4 card. How about yours ??.

Will try tomorrow with a different card.
Thanks for the input.
01-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #10

I use a pentax k7 with a 8gb sandisk class 10 card.
But I don't know if pictures are transferred from the sd card or from the camera's buffer...

I don't think a card is that much slower maybe the k7 is faster with reading out the sensor?
01-24-2011, 03:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stafflover Quote
I use a pentax k7 with a 8gb sandisk class 10 card.
But I don't know if pictures are transferred from the sd card or from the camera's buffer...

I don't think a card is that much slower maybe the k7 is faster with reading out the sensor?
Just checked the sd card and there no images recorded there from the tethered sessions so it points to the transfer being from the buffers.

Off for some shut-eye and tomorrow I will test the buffer theory, (wonder if I can take the card out altogether ?) and try changing the file size (currently 10 Mp jpegs ) then see if it either speeds up transfer and/or gives more shots before the buffer fills and images have to be saved or deleted.(currently getting 2 shots before having to save/delete)
01-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
I think this is great idea for copying my old slides to digital!
I have tried just that with my K200D - and it's a breeze with this nice, large preview image, file naming facility and direct saving to hard disk. Have been using my *ist DL + Remote Assitant with good results also for quite some time, but the pre-view image with PK_Tether is much better.

S G B
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM   #13

Every three years, I make a post whether I need to or not !

. . . I've been playing with this today, tethering the K10D to my Win7 Ultimate 64-bit system. I found that I did need to launch the program by right-clicking, and selecting "Run As Administrator." I am not conversant enough in 3rd party software vs. OS to comment on which side seems to be needing that, but whatever: it works with that easy accommodation. I thought I'd mention it in case someone else was encountering a bunch of errors initially.

I'm wanting to delve into Photomatix and HDR twiddling, so that's my own killer app for the tool. Alas, kitty was not sleeping quite as still as she appeared to be in first photo shoot . . . try, try again!
01-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

I have Pk_tether setup on a portable tablet slate. It's Great for clients to see their results right on the bigger screen. Lots of flexibility and control, as well as having Lightroom installed for quick fixes.

Asus Slate EP121 - Pentax K7 - Lightroom 3 - PK_Tether
Attached Images

01-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Now the tethering app works for K200D and K7. On the site it lists a lot of different models. Anyone know if it works on the Km/K2000? It doesn't mention anything on the site and it seems like it would be a really neat feature to have.