Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I'm 99% certain that when I first switched to contrast detect as suggested by someone else, to avoid the black screen, i had no mirror slap. But, ever since, I still get both. Pesky. Don't use LV much but when I do, I'd rather there was no slapping since surely this will affect the stability of the sensor.
Part of the 'slap' sound you are referring to is actually the mechanical shutter - that is why cameras like micro 4/3 from olympus and panasonic still have a sound. so, even though the mirror isn't moving (on the kx, kr, k5...k7?), there is still a sound because the mechanical shutter has to move to take the photo.

01-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The mirror has to slap to get the image to the AF sensor in normal AF. With contrast that is not nescesary.
01-25-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The mirror has to slap to get the image to the AF sensor in normal AF. With contrast that is not nescesary.
Right. That was what I said originally. With contrast, it is not necessary, yet it still happens. In fact, it's even weirder because it seems to flap twice.

Although that may be explained by the actuator requiring an up-down motion. If that's the case, that the mirror actuator requires an up-down motion, then with a normal capture (non-LV), the mirror is down, it goes up for the exposure, then back down, in a single up-down motion. In LV, the mirror is already up. To cycle the mirror would be a down-up motion, but that does not satisfy the (hypothetical) requirement of an up-down motion, so it has to go down-up-down, but then it has to go back up to re-enable LV, so down-up-down-up, hence the sound of a double flap.

But that still doesn't explain why it moves at all. It's disappointing, as I was hoping to be able to use LV in situations where silence was essential.

No one has commented on other brands. Surely someone has played with an LV-capable body from another brand? Does it have the extraneous mirror actuation?
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Part of the 'slap' sound you are referring to is actually the mechanical shutter - that is why cameras like micro 4/3 from olympus and panasonic still have a sound. so, even though the mirror isn't moving (on the kx, kr, k5...k7?), there is still a sound because the mechanical shutter has to move to take the photo.
I'm not talking about the shutter noise. I know what that sounds like.

01-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Right. That was what I said originally. With contrast, it is not necessary, yet it still happens. In fact, it's even weirder because it seems to flap twice.
Agreed.

The thing I've noticed is that for some modes, you can't even use contrast detect. maybe that is the problem for both of us. Maybe setting for contrast detect and then shifting to a different mode, thus moving out of contrast detect right away. I dunno, but I am going to pay more attention.
01-26-2011, 06:44 AM   #21

I think you can do mirror lockup during LiveView, right?
just a thought
01-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
I think you can do mirror lockup during LiveView, right?
just a thought
There are only two ways to do mirror lockup that I know of. One is sensor cleaning mode, which disables everything else on the camera. The other is 2-sec timer, which doesn't make a difference except to separate the mirror slaps by 2 seconds.
01-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #23
Forum Member

The K20D has a half-assed Live View which is more useless than anything else (because the view becomes gritty when you zoom in, rendering it useless for fine-focusing).

And when you take the shot, the mirror goes down, then goes up (to take the shot), then goes down (complete the shot), then goes up again (go back to Live View). A clumsy and annoying endeavor.

My Canon 40D is old too (same age as the K20D), but the Live View implementation is much, much better. It doesn't have contrast-detect AF, you need to press the AF button and the screen blanks out while it AF's (although the much-faster-than-the-K20D AF is a big help here, the screen blank is very short). Also, when you take the shot in LV, it produces a very muffled shutter sound (there is actually a special custom function for this) and the mirror doesn't move.

I suspect the K-x is still doing the old Pentax mirror tango of mirror down, mirror up, mirror down, mirror up when you take the shot in LV mode.

01-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for weighing in on the K20D's behavior. I've always wondered about it.