Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Live View on dSLR

I didn't have it with the K200D, and I only ever used it with my Kx, manual focus on a tripod, the rest of the time I used the viewfinder.

So tell me, is it as weird as it seems to be? I just decided to have a play with it on Kr just now, and here is the process which I hope is normal..
a) Switch to Live View
b) half press to start the AF
c) screen goes blank and the mirror is being shoved out of the way, and then
d) get a screen with LV and your focus points (by which time the cat moved and I have a moderately well focussed nose instead of the eyes I was after.)

01-20-2011, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #2

Yes, it's normal; cause the mirror raises during focusing (phase detect focus mode)
if you choose the contrast focus mode, you won't get the black screen, but it takes more time to focus(but usually more accurate)
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by souless Quote
Yes, it's normal; cause the mirror raises during focusing (phase detect focus mode)
if you choose the contrast focus mode, you won't get the black screen, but it takes more time to focus(but usually more accurate)
OH! OK, thanks for that, I'd seen something about contrast focus but had not really paid attention because I didnt need it before. The blank screen was somewhat unnerving at first.
01-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #4

Good to know that my info helps
Happy shooting!

01-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I might should start a new thread, but I'll just jump in here.

When using contrast-detect AF in LV on my new K-r, why on earth does the mirror slap when I take a shot?
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote

When using contrast-detect AF in LV on my new K-r, why on earth does the mirror slap when I take a shot?
The K-x does the same thing. No one but the Pentax engineers know for sure why.
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Y'all refer to "contrast focus mode" and "phase focus mode" on the K200D and Kr. After 2.5 years I still haven't memorized my K20D manual, but I search through it and find nothing about those modes, just AF.S and AF.C and MF. Was the phase/contrast mode select option omitted from the K20D?
01-25-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My initial thought was that it did it because an SLR is supposed to slap the mirror when you take a shot. What about the other brands? Do they do that?

01-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Y'all refer to "contrast focus mode" and "phase focus mode" on the K200D and Kr. After 2.5 years I still haven't memorized my K20D manual, but I search through it and find nothing about those modes, just AF.S and AF.C and MF. Was the phase/contrast mode select option omitted from the K20D?
AFAIK, the K20D only has phase-detect. Contrast-detect is for P&S cameras, but the newer LV-capable bodies have it so you don't have to pop the mirror down to activate AF. Contrast-detect is slower, but it doesn't black the screen.
01-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

...Contrast-detect is slower...
True in the past, but the K5 is significantly faster and quite easy to use - almost in line with m4/3 cameras (especially Olympus, which is the slower of the mount).
01-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter

The new Sony A55 & A33 can do phase-detection AF in live view because they have fixed translucent mirrors. All other EVILs have to do contrast-detection. The K200D does not have live view so it does not have contrast-detection AF.
01-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
Site Supporter

My initial thought was that it did it because an SLR is supposed to slap the mirror when you take a shot. What about the other brands? Do they do that?
Why would the mirror need to slap? It is already up for live view.
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Why would the mirror need to slap? It is already up for live view.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant because common knowledge is that an SLR needs to slap the mirror to take a shot. If it didn't happen, people might think their camera was broken.
01-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant because common knowledge is that an SLR needs to slap the mirror to take a shot. If it didn't happen, people might think their camera was broken.
But in live view all it needs to do is cycle the shutter. I have a feeling that activating the shutter is linked to cycling the mirror in firmware and the Pentax engineers never bothered to change it.
01-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I'm 99% certain that when I first switched to contrast detect as suggested by someone else, to avoid the black screen, i had no mirror slap. But, ever since, I still get both. Pesky. Don't use LV much but when I do, I'd rather there was no slapping since surely this will affect the stability of the sensor.