Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I wouldn't make the mistake of buying one of those in the first place!
I think that's exactly why GM and Chrysler had to resort to that!

01-23-2011, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

When I was selling cameras in the 80s, we had a guy who came in(for a couple of months) every Friday just before closing to buy a Canon EOS 650, whatever big flash they had, a couple of lenses, a tripod and film.
Every Monday he returned all of the equipment for a refund.
I noted this habit after the 4th time he did it and was complaining to one of my buddies who worked at a discount supermarket photolab.
It turned out, by coincidence, that every Monday, this guy was taking his films to my friend's photolab for processing.
He was buying camera and film from me, using my friend's lab to process his wedding pictures, and returning the equipment to us after using it "professionally".

So, one Friday afternoon, the store manager and I arranged to transfer every single SLR camera out of the store prior to close of business.
We didn't have any Canons, we didn't have any Nikons, or Minoltas, or Yashicas or Pentaxes.
Nothing.
And, as usual, the guy came in just prior to close to "buy" a camera system.
Unfortunately, we were out of stock on everything.
We never saw him again after that, and a phone call to my friend on Monday told me that he hadn't actually shot anything that weekend.
Apparently, he didn't have a good back up plan.

Sometimes being a jerk has it's own simple rewards.