Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #16

it's not ethical to sell a camera someone returned as new to someone else.

it is ethical to return a camera if it's within the return policy. That is why peopel pay more for a premium to return things.

01-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member

It should have been resold as open box.

As far as ethics its all about intent.
01-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's wrong to use something and return it if the store has a policy that if you aren't satisfied you can return something. I do think it is unethical to re-sell that item as new and as others have also mentioned, it should be sold as open box or refurbished.
01-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

..... a friends wife has no problem buying an expensive dress, wearing it for a night out, then returning it to the store.... albeit in almost unworn condition....
the retailer, can't, according to law, just put it back into inventory and sell it as new...
retailers have always had to deal with returns, for decades, and for a multitude of reasons... dissatisfaction, defective, etc...... but as long as they resell noting that the item is a demo, or open box, the consumer knows the situation and can make an educated decision about making the purchase of said item(s).............
there are some folks buying pentax bodies, assuming they're brand new, but in reality have already been taken around the block a time or two by someone else.... and that's the retailers fault for not making full disclosure.........
fwiw..... if i'm buying a new car, i don't expect it too have more than just a few miles on it, and would not accept it if it had 1,000 or so miles on it, from being test driven a few times after i've signed on the dotted line..........either it's new or it's used........ it ain't rocket science....
or is it?????? lol................

01-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's common for a camera to have a few hundred actuations right out of the box but > 2,000 is very high. I think someone definitely used it and returned it. It's not unethical for someone to use it and return it (they may not have like it) but it is unethical for any store to try and pass that same camera off as new. Even though it is after the return period I would still call and complain.
01-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I have a friend who purchased a camera and found that it already had over 2,000 shutter actuations on it. Someone obviously purchased it, used it through the return timeframe of the retailer then returned it. He's pretty pissed about this, as he discovered this after the return period for him expired.

I liken it to a woman that buys a dress, wears it to a party then returns it the next day.
There aren't enough facts available to determine if it was wrong. My son had a friend who bought lots of things just to use them for awhile, for free. Clothing, electronics, you name it. He had no intent to buy. That was wrong, and everyone else pays.

When a retailer accepts returns for any reason, they open themselves up to this abuse. If the original purchaser took the camera out twice to big events, had problems on the first go and confirmed them on the second, he wasn't wrong to return it. If he merely wanted to try out a camera he couldn't afford, that was wrong. Now, whether the retailer is wrong in representing that camera as truly new or refurbished is a separate issue. Just my opinion. You may feel differently.
01-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was really interested in hearing what others had to say on this. I would agree that returning something because it turned out you didn't like it or it didn't work for you is fine. I kinda think that it should take far fewer shots then 1500 to determine that, but that is not really the most egregious occurrence here.

As others have rightfully pointed out, and it escaped me at first, is the behavior of this retailer. maybe it was an individual employee that made the determination to put it back into new stock and not the policy of the shop, but this camera should not have been sold as new. An open box with a 10% discount? at least the buyer knows and can make the choice.

Thanks for all your points of view.

01-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I would agree that returning something because it turned out you didn't like it or it didn't work for you is fine.
No, it's not. The retailer is not responsible for you liking something, or you ignorantly buying something without doing the homework.

If it functions correctly but you don't like it, sell it used.
01-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
No, it's not. The retailer is not responsible for you liking something, or you ignorantly buying something without doing the homework.

If it functions correctly but you don't like it, sell it used.
In my own personal matters, this is the approach I would take, but in the day and age where it is impossible to find a K-5 in a retail shop where I can pick it up and do a little bit of tactile evaluation, I think allowances can be made if a product clearly isn't as hoped.
01-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
But the retailer *has* already factored-in the probability that items will be returned. That factoring can consist of a restocking fee, or just an adjustment of price levels and profit margins to compensate for the returns. A retailer with a stated "no-fault" no-question-asked no-restocking-charge return policy has withdrawn 'responsibility' from the equation, of their own volition. They have calculated that the increased sales volume resultant from showing that they trust their customers, will offset the costs of handling returns, whether from trusty or untrustworthy customers.

And that's at the heart of return policies: trust. Mutual trust. The customer trusts that the retailer will cater to them, while the retailer trusts that customers won't f*ck with them too often. Sellers with no-fault return policies must find this a workable business model or they would use a different model, ie restocking fees.
01-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #26

Everyone here seems to be making the assumption that
A: it's a used item and not a new item
and more importantly
B: if it was a used item, it only had one previous owner.

If the item is used, you can't assume there was only one prior owner. There could have been 5 prior owners, or any 1+n. If there were 5 previous owners who all returned the item within their return timeframe, then that 1500 shots is really 300 shots per prior owner.

So, to talk about if it's ethical to return an item after 'excessive' use has become moot, because you have no idea how many prior owners existed before you; assuming there ever was one.
01-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
But the retailer *has* already factored-in the probability that items will be returned. That factoring can consist of a restocking fee, or just an adjustment of price levels and profit margins to compensate for the returns.
Of course, but the assumption of the OP was that the reseller did not do that, and sold a return as new. So, the seller had no loss to factor in.
01-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #28
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What car dealership allows you to buy a car and return it for a refund within 10 days? What realtor sells a house with a money back satisfaction guarantee? Cameras are pretty cheap by comparison. Maybe nobody should offer a money back satisfaction guarantee on anything ever at all? That would solve all the problems for everyone.
01-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
What car dealership allows you to buy a car and return it for a refund within 10 days? What realtor sells a house with a money back satisfaction guarantee? Cameras are pretty cheap by comparison. Maybe nobody should offer a money back satisfaction guarantee on anything ever at all? That would solve all the problems for everyone.
GM, Chrysler and CarMax. Not saying whether or not I think it's a good idea, but it does exist in the auto industry.
01-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #30
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
GM, Chrysler and CarMax. Not saying whether or not I think it's a good idea, but it does exist in the auto industry.
I wouldn't make the mistake of buying one of those in the first place!