Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SDXC for older models?

I couldn't find a related post, so I figured I'd ask. With the release of new firmware for newer models supporting SDXC, when will be see this for older cameras (if ever). I'd like to be eventually able to use an SDXC card in my k-m.

Alternatively, I've heard you can re-format an SDXC card as fat and use that. That may work for the new 64gb card, but definitely will be a waster for larger sizes..

01-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
when will be see this for older cameras (if ever)
You won't. Pentax doesn't write new firmware for discontinued cameras.
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

they just did for the K-7...
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
they just did for the K-7...
K-x too.

01-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LRaven Quote
K-x too.
The K-x is not yet discontinued

Digital SLR Camera Lineup (Discontinued Model) : Digital Cameras : Products : PENTAX
01-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You won't. Pentax doesn't write new firmware for discontinued cameras.
There was an update for K20D after discontinuing. So there are possibility's, but I don't think so, unless it is a real easy update. Pentax changed there softwarefirm so I don't expected it for older models.
01-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't really see the point. The speed of an SDXC card wouldn't be useable and size-wise, 16 gigs is plenty for a camera that doesn't shoot video.

That said, Pentax did go and up date a lot of the old cameras, all the way back to *ist DS to be able to use SDHC cards after they were no longer in production.

01-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't really see the point. The speed of an SDXC card wouldn't be useable and size-wise, 16 gigs is plenty for a camera that doesn't shoot video.

That said, Pentax did go and up date a lot of the old cameras, all the way back to *ist DS to be able to use SDHC cards after they were no longer in production.
Well, speed-wise is not a big deal, they're backwards compatible.
But I see your point with the older models not doing video. Granted, I wouldn't want to shove 1 or 2TB into my camera, but putting in say 64 or 128GB is definitely something to consider. Especially if shooting all raw and out in the field for a length of time.
01-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd say it is unlikely. The Pentax of old was pretty liberal with firmware updates, but I think Hoya is a bit less so. Updates will probably only extend to the generation behind current. You never know though...
01-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by koguma Quote
Well, speed-wise is not a big deal, they're backwards compatible.
But I see your point with the older models not doing video. Granted, I wouldn't want to shove 1 or 2TB into my camera, but putting in say 64 or 128GB is definitely something to consider. Especially if shooting all raw and out in the field for a length of time.
I guess I would still want to have several smaller cards. You would hate to have a 64 GB card go on you and it has all 1100 photos from your vacation on it. Better to have a few different, smaller cards you use.
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Inactive Account

@koguma: Vous savez deja vu le prix delirant des cartes sdxc a ce jour meme pour un K5 ou un kr ou ujn kx ca n'a aucun interet (c'est 3 fois + cher),
pour un 645 la je comprends (les raws font 40 a 60 mo)

mais si vous etes en Pef sur un k100 d super, je n'en voit vraiment pas l'interet, sachant que deja sur une sdhc en 32Gb on peut mettre une quantitee effoyable de photos.
Pour une somme assez modique (50 Euros une 32Gb)
Mettre une SdXc sur ce type d'appâreil me semble pas bon , ne serait-ce que pour une question de securitée (Avec 2 cartes c'est plus securisant), on perds que la moitié...et pas tout.

Ps: meme avec mon K-x l'interet du sdxc heuuuu... bof !

Cordialement, jpette
01-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDXC is a real benefit if you shoot video and the K7 and Kx have that capability. I am certainly not going to complain that my K10D isn't going to get updated.