Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 "User" Mode Inconvenience

I primarily use manual focus Voighlander lenses that require me to choose the focal length of the lens I have on the camera when I first turn it on; also relevant, I virtually always shoot in "User" mode.

A problem I've encountered with manual focus lenses is, if the K-7 is left on and I don't shoot for awhile so that the camera goes into standby, the camera defaults to the original saved User setting under the "Input Focal Length" menu item (I don't know what effect a mismatched focal length has on a photograph, I suppose I should test that). I know it is unsettling to spend the day on a shoot, change lenses a few times, and then later find in the EXIF info that all photos are listed as shot at the same focal length.

This only appears to be a problem in "User" mode; in other modes the K-7 sticks with whatever focal length I've indicated on start up.

Have others noticed this? Is there a solution that lets me trust the focal length setting will hold steady in standby, other than saving new User settings each time I change lenses?

01-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Why do you always shoot in User mode? It's just a copy of some other mode with different settings.

User mode is a strange beast. I don't even use it on my K10D anymore because I don't really get it. Originally, I had it as Av with ISO to 1600 for indoor stuff. But then I changed things that I thought were global settings, but user mode stayed the same. User mode seems like having two separate cameras, except that you can't change modes on one.

Anyhow, I think User mode remembers EVERYTHING, so it may be remembering whatever focal length you had set when you first enabled it.
01-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Why do you always shoot in User mode? It's just a copy of some other mode with different settings.

User mode is a strange beast. I don't even use it on my K10D anymore because I don't really get it. Originally, I had it as Av with ISO to 1600 for indoor stuff. But then I changed things that I thought were global settings, but user mode stayed the same. User mode seems like having two separate cameras, except that you can't change modes on one.

Anyhow, I think User mode remembers EVERYTHING, so it may be remembering whatever focal length you had set when you first enabled it.
I use "User" mode for RAW shooting, and leave all the rest for JPEG. But now that you ask why, I realize I can just switch that around and rely on the User mode for JPEG. I supposed I thought that the User mode was more customizable.
01-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

First off, I don't have a K-7, but I'm assuming User mode is the same as on the K10D.

Can't you just use the RAW button to switch to shooting raw?

Anyway, User mode keeps ALL the settings separate, even settings that are kept the same across all the other modes. For instance, if you decide (for some reason, maybe you'll compile them into a movie) that you want to start shooting 2MP low-quality JPEGs, you change your settings to that while in Av mode. Then you switch to P mode, you're still shooting 2M. Switch to X mode, still 2M. Switch to User, and it goes back to whatever you had set up when you first set user mode.

Actually, the more I think of it, the more I can think of possible usefulnesses. But nonetheless, that's the deal.

Update: I just put some paper over the contacts of my FA lens so I could test this out, and on the K10D, it does keep FL setting (for SR) regardless of User mode or regular mode. So I dunno.

01-21-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Update: I just put some paper over the contacts of my FA lens so I could test this out, and on the K10D, it does keep FL setting (for SR) regardless of User mode or regular mode. So I dunno.
I assumed the FL thing only would show up on manual focus lenses (and/or possibly non-Pentax lenses?).

Oh, and I did set up the RAW button to work with User (which is now set for JPEG as the default), and just the opposite for all the rest of the settings (since I shoot raw almost exclusively).

Last edited by les3547; 01-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.
01-22-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
I assumed the FL thing only would show up on manual focus lenses (and/or possibly non-Pentax lenses?).
No, it pops up anytime it can't communicate with the lens to find the FL. If the contacts are covered, it essentially becomes a manual lens.
01-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

User mode is designed to do exactly what you are seeing.

01-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Yes there is a solution – turn your standby off.
I experienced the same frustrations and have found a solution that works for me.
In User mode go into your menu then tools screen 3 and select Auto Power Off and adjust to 30 minutes or off. When done, be sure to go to USER in screen 4 of the Camera Icon tab and save this setting. Now it will remember that you told it you are using a 55mm lens or other temporary adjustments like turning on bracketing or adjusting iso etc… These changes will now “stick” for 30mins or until you physically turn the camera off (if you have selected the “Off” setting) via the power switch.
Initially I was concerned with battery life, but have found it a non issue. I keep mine set to turn off at 30mins. When this happens the top LCD goes blank and any user changes I have made in that session are lost. When shooting I typically activate the shutter at least once every 30 mins. so I rarely if ever lose any temporary changes I have made in my user mode.
I love the user mode and wish the K7 had several like the K5. I can customize many settings that I like but do not want to be universal to the other modes in the camera. I use user mode almost exclusively with occasional forays into M when I need more control.
01-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Yes there is a solution – turn your standby off.
I experienced the same frustrations and have found a solution that works for me.
In User mode go into your menu then tools screen 3 and select Auto Power Off and adjust to 30 minutes or off. When done, be sure to go to USER in screen 4 of the Camera Icon tab and save this setting. Now it will remember that you told it you are using a 55mm lens or other temporary adjustments like turning on bracketing or adjusting iso etc… These changes will now “stick” for 30mins or until you physically turn the camera off (if you have selected the “Off” setting) via the power switch.
Initially I was concerned with battery life, but have found it a non issue. I keep mine set to turn off at 30mins. When this happens the top LCD goes blank and any user changes I have made in that session are lost. When shooting I typically activate the shutter at least once every 30 mins. so I rarely if ever lose any temporary changes I have made in my user mode.
I love the user mode and wish the K7 had several like the K5. I can customize many settings that I like but do not want to be universal to the other modes in the camera. I use user mode almost exclusively with occasional forays into M when I need more control.
Thanks, I'd thought of that but worried about the battery draining too fast, I'm glad to hear it isn't such a worry. I too love the "User" mode, and also wish there were, say, four of them on the K-7. I think I'm skipping the K-5, but I might invest in the next Pentax generation (esp. if they give us full frame--lens wise I'm ready for that possibility) which will surely have at least as many User modes as the K-5.