Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #1

Using Shake reduction w/Teleconverter

I have a 200MM manual prime lens I am using with my K100D. I want to use a 2x teleconverter with it. When the Shake Reduction menu comes up - do I choose 200mm or 400MM for SR since it is now the eqivilent of 400mm w/ the teleconv. ?

Secondly - what SR setting do you use if you have a variable manual zoom of say 100-300 ? I think you choose the highest zoom?? in this case 300 ?

10-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Forum Member

Set the amount that you are currantly using, In case of 2x + 200mm use 400mm.. When using a zoom lens, you still need to put the same focal lenght that you currently have the lens at.
10-08-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by r3nx Quote
...When using a zoom lens, you still need to put the same focal lenght that you currently have the lens at.
With a zoom that transmit its focal length information to the body, is it still necessary to manually input the focal length? Or, does this only apply to K and M series zoom lenses?
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
With a zoom that transmit its focal length information to the body, is it still necessary to manually input the focal length? Or, does this only apply to K and M series zoom lenses?
From my experience in this, the -A series lenses are working like the K and M (and M42) lenses as well. The -A contacts in the lens only show the max aperture of the lens and not the focal length, I belive.

I had some trouble with my -A 35-105/3.5 before I finally used it without SR and got better (good) results.

Thank you,

// Mats

10-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For all those interested, KA lenses do not have the data contact that feeds focal length to the body. The camera, with any K or KA zoom attached prompt for focal length. Providing the teleconverter has electrical contacts KA lenses will still work for automatic metering, and P-TTL flash.

Also, on KAF lenses with an AF teleconverter, the camera gets the lens information through the AF converter BUT it does not compensate for focal length, and therefore for shake reduction gets it wrong.

This has been reported to pentax, and it has been suggested that there be an option for TC attached and the magnification factor be privided for in a menu 1.4x, 1.5x 1.7x, 2x, 3x, as the focal length is on present cameras
10-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Also, on KAF lenses with an AF teleconverter, the camera gets the lens information through the AF converter BUT it does not compensate for focal length, and therefore for shake reduction gets it wrong.

This has been reported to pentax, and it has been suggested that there be an option for TC attached and the magnification factor be privided for in a menu 1.4x, 1.5x 1.7x, 2x, 3x, as the focal length is on present cameras
Oh how I hope that can come to us via a firmware update...

I love to use a TC with my big long fast prime but it's real annoying I can't override the lens length; camera thinks I'm using 300mm even when I have my 2x TC on. Basically negates use of SR... a -big- reason I bought the K10D to begin with. :ugh:

When you say "it has been suggested", do you know how far 'into' the Pentax organization this idea may have made it?
10-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
m80.. The rest of us who have that problem have done the following.. We have placed tape over the contact so the lens does NOT pass focal length data. Problem solved.

10-09-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

I had heard [read] about that but just passed over it. I'm a fool for leaving for my trip to Africa and not pursuing it more and doing that myself. Much thanx for the reminder!

Last edited by m8o; 10-09-2007 at 10:15 AM.
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
m80.. The rest of us who have that problem have done the following.. We have placed tape over the contact so the lens does NOT pass focal length data. Problem solved.
Tom

Does this work, and is the tape conducting or insulating.

When I did some experiments with respect to changing lens mounts to convert from K to KA, I found that the camera wanted the data contact shorted to the lens mount, or you can not work in automatic apature mode.

How do the camera's automatic functions behave when you tape over the data contact?