Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't SR in the K-5 & K7 6D?

The following IS research paper presented by Microsoft at SIGGRAPH 2010 mentions that it uses 6D movement sensing (rotx, roty, rotz, posx, posy, posz). Isn't Pentax SR in K-5 & K7 6D too?

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/imudeblurring/imu_deblurring.pdf

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 01-22-2011 at 08:49 PM.
01-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I am not sure how Pentax is solving the problem, but I saw a thread about this subject some time ago (think it was in this forum), but can't remember the title of the thread. Opinions were widely splittet and there was some shouting between mathematicians (and, probably, also hobby-mathematicians; there are few people who have been in touch with 3D-metrology).

Edited: Sorry, I hadn't seen you were referring specially to K-7/K-5; the thread was probably related to the older models.

Last edited by RKKS08; 01-22-2011 at 09:36 PM.
01-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can the sensor move along the axis that would be expressed through the centre line of the lens in the Pentax SR system? Adjusting the focus or the autofocus compensation would accomplish something similar, but wouldn't actually require moving the sensor.

If I'm reading the Microsoft paper correctly they're using hardware sensors to record movement and applying the data from the sensors to image processing software that modifies the image recorded by the sensor (sort of an intelligent sharpening that knows what camera movements caused blur in the image). If somebody were to integrate the hardware and software from the paper into a chip that could be added to cameras without sensor shifting shake reduction they might be able to get similar results without the expense of designing the camera's sensor to move.
01-23-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I believe the K7/K5 has the ability to shift the sensor vertically and horizontally, and also to rotate it around an axis parallel to the lens axis (or coincident with the lens axis???).

However, as has been pointed out by a forum member (can't remember who, unfortunately), the shake sensors used to control the sensor position/orientation only respond to rotational acceleration (i.e. in pitch, yaw and roll). There isn't any way of detecting translational acceleration - in other words, the movement of the camera up, down or sideways.

As was explained, this is why SR has reduced abilities at short camera-to-subject distances, as the effects of the translational shake become more significant (and can't be detected and therefore counteracted).

01-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've found the relevant thread and the excellent explanation by Class A:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/124387-does-pentax...istortion.html