Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Sticky shutter mechanism in K200d

I'm having an odd intermittent fault with my K200d, where the shutter sometimes does not fire when I press the shutter release. It's not related to MLU or self-timer, but I have noticed the problem since using the camera on a rather chilly morning in Wales.
Does anyone else have experience of this, and if so,
a) is there a nice, cheap simple fix I can carry out myself
or
b) how much did it cost to get the problem fixed.
I don't know exactly, but my guess is that the shutter has had at least 50k actuations, if not considerably more.
Or should I just buy a K5?
Thanks very much indeed!
Will

01-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Download photoME here.PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor
Open last taken image with it and check the shutter count.
If you have much more than 50k actuation's, it might be a good reason to upgrade.
Can`t help with a or b.
01-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shutter release button failed on my K200D. It cost $2.04 plus shipping. I replaced it myself. Taking the camera apart is easy. Removing the old shutter switch and soldering the new part is not so easy. I was able to do, so it can be done. Do you have a grip? The shutter release on the grip is a test to see if the switch is bad. If the camera works every time with the grip switch and not with the camera release, chances are good that the switch has failed. Do you have a wired remote? That would let you test as well. If the camera fails to fire with both the remote and the camera release then you have some other problem.
01-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Try DeoxIT Gold

I have this same issue with my K200d. I found that pressing directly down in the center of the shutter release would frequently not work or be slow to work. If I pressed on the edges of the shutter release, then frequently I would observe no delay. I do have the battery grip. was able to confirm that the shutter release on the grip worked fine unlike the release on the body of the camera.

I purchased a small tube (2 ml) of DeoxIT GOLD and applied a few drops in between the shutter release button and the on/off collar. Then with the camera off, I worked the shutter release a number of times hoping that the DeoxIT Gold would work its way into the "trouble spot." At first I didn't see much difference, but about an hour latter, it was working like new!

I have found that when I go out into the cold, below freezing, things can get a little dodgy again, but at room temperature it continues to work as it should.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Doug