Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Looking for a DSLR...

I am looking for a used DLSR for under 200. I know that is a low number, but I am a college student and I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on equipment. I have a ZX-M currently and am pretty happy with what it does for me. Something digital that is comparable would be awesome.

Fire Away!

01-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you actually want to buy one, please post in the wanted section.

I think that you could probably get an old *ist DS for $200.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I want to buy one, but was more looking for opinions than offers.
01-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
opinion on what? whether you should get a second-hand dslr for $200? absolutely!

as per adam's suggestion a *ist DS, or a used k100d / k200d - more than capable cameras for the price.

01-23-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleki Quote
I am looking for a used DLSR for under 200. I know that is a low number, but I am a college student and I don't have a lot of $$ to spend on equipment. I have a ZX-M currently and am pretty happy with what it does for me. Something digital that is comparable would be awesome.

Fire Away!

i know this is out of range but a used k-x with kit lens for 350? (it's at B&H used store).

Think about it, for 150 more you get 50 in the lens, so basically an extra 100 for live view, more MP, video, better ISO... that's alot for 100, if anyone ask me to trade in my camera + 100 for that much feature I'll jump on it even if I have to sell my leg to get the money.

It also depends on how heavily invested you are on the pentax system.... if you're already got 2-3 lens for pentax, then you should stick with pentax. I like the *ist but to me it's just not worth the money at this time, you're better off selling off some stuff you don't use and get an extra 100 or 200 and grab a k-x.

I recently grabbed an oly PL1 with kit lens for 300 in like new condition, and i sold it off because I had too many alpha lens to go oly, but it's not a bad camera, the kit lens performance is higher than any brand I saw, but the high ISO is not so good (4/3 system smaller sensor). I'm anticipating the price will plummet because the PL2 is out (or comming out).
Or an oly E-600 for 400 (with dual kit lens)... i saw it at adorama used last week. this is a pretty nice DSLR for 400 with dual kit lens, and as always with 4/3 or micro 4/3 they can use alot of manual lens with adaptors.

Nothing in the sony range I think is good for 200.

canon/nikon is probably not gonna work, their price is stiff since they're popular.

my sony A330 + kit lens is also 300, but if I was to buy one right now I would get the A500 for 400, better high ISO and faster continuous shooting...

anyways just laying options out for you, I've watch the pentax line pretty close, they tend to hold their price for a while, IMO the best bang for your buck is the k-x, follow by the k-r if you're not looking for WR, the older pentax have their "fans", but I'm always against spending money for old tech.
01-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleki Quote
I want to buy one, but was more looking for opinions than offers.
The opinions will come with the offers to your Item Wanted post. There are not going to to be dozens to choose from.
01-24-2011, 10:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought my wife an *ist D for $200 a couple of years ago. It's a touch slow bringing up the pics compared to more modern cameras, but the thing is built really, really well.
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Someone posted a thread about missed their k200d a short time ago and it got piled on with a ton of glowing reviews from some really top notch shooters so I would be keeping an eye out for one although I have not shot one personally.

I have a k10d and would recommend if you could find one.

01-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

There is a couple here for great prices:

Pentax Digital Camera Bodies - KEH.com
01-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #10

The ist DL is a great camera, and they are less than 200 at KEH or Ebay. I have two of them!
01-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

My husband upgraded to a Pentax K10D, so I got his *ist DL. I've never had a DSLR before. This is an incredible camera and I don't think you'd be disappointed. It will be a long time before I outgrow it When I do, maybe my husband will have upgraded again and I'll get his K10D. Hee hee hee