Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Inexpensive Pentax Gear

I have a blog post documenting all the inexpensive gear that I have
with Pentax K100D, kit's lens, DA 50-200, bowers M42 adapter, M42
lens, takumar asahi 28-80 macro, my latest with FA 50 f/1.4, as well
as watch list for inexpensive external flashes.

BLOG post:
Inexpensive gear with Pentax - Hin's Tech Corner

I am on the frugal side in getting gear for my hobby with Pentax.
Thoughts and comments are welcome. Disclaimer and caveat in the blog
post.

Thanks,
Hin

10-09-2007, 06:39 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice looking site. It is fun to find screw thread lenses and other bargains. Will stop in and check the blog out from time to time. Had a Pentacon myself ...long ago. Remember the electrical contacts on the lens.
thanks
barondla
10-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't know about the others, but I get browser (ie7) errors when I visit your link.
10-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do see the error too

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I don't know about the others, but I get browser (ie7) errors when I visit your link.
Until I know how to fix the link, use my main page instead. The problem seems intermittent

Main Page:
Hin's Tech Corner

Inexpensive Pentax Gear Post:

Thanks for your reply and notice,
Hin

10-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sorry Hin, I get same error.
10-09-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't figure out yet

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Sorry Hin, I get same error.
I saw the error once and now I can't see the errors again, I make few changes but none seems to be related to IE browser specific. Will keep looking at potential problems, if others see errors on IE, please drop us a line if you do/don't see a problem. Much appreciated.

Hin
10-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi Hin
I found your same post all over cyber space..Nice blog though
10-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got the error on both; the first link switched to an error page whereas the second was OK after I closed the default box.

10-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the notice

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I got the error on both; the first link switched to an error page whereas the second was OK after I closed the default box.
Apology for all the IE specific problems. I saw the problems intermittent for me and I have removed some suspicious ads-clicks tag clouds and I hope that is the problem. I am still not sure as I ran IE 7.0 and opera a couple of times after the change and I have not seen the problem and I hope it stays that way. Thanks for the comment and notice. Much appreciated.

Hin
10-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Please help, added section on tripod

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Until I know how to fix the link, use my main page instead. The problem seems intermittent

Main Page:
Hin's Tech Corner

Inexpensive Pentax Gear Post:

Thanks for your reply and notice,
Hin
Someone using IE7 or older versions of IE, please let me know if you can access okay with the above two links.

I have added a section on Tripod/mini-tripod, if you have any recommendations for a tripod with ballhead around $150, please help me with pointers so that I can add a tripod to my gear. I am also interested in a portable mini-tripod strong enough for my k100d, I am currently looking either the joby gorillapod for dslr or the utlrapod II, if you have others, please comment.

Thanks a bunch.
Hin
10-29-2007, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Re: added 2 tripods to my gear

I finally managed to get this tripod from eBay on the store of Amvona with

AT CF992 Carbon Fiber and Magnesium Alloy Tripod by DynaTran™

Ebay ended link
PRO CARBON FIBER MAGNESIUM ALLOY CAMERA TRIPOD KIT 992 - (eBay item 200165718940 end time Oct-29-07 14:30:00 PDT)

I bid it for 81 and with shipping, it adds up to $94. I will update in my inexpensive gear for this tripod and my thoughts when I get it in about a week

I like it for the price, I am hoping for a good starter tripod which is not too bad as it is not too heavy at 4.75 lb weight with supporting weight for 8.8 lb Max, three leveling indicators on the
ball head, and the ball head, though a bit small, seems good enough for my work in using it for portrait at home and assistance for my slow lens for outdoor and night scenes with kit's lens and DA 50-200.

And I have the ultrapod 2 from REI for $15, few pictures below, I may add the $10.95 additional quick release to the ultrapod II tripod to make it even more versatile. The mounting can be improved if a quick release is available.

My next milestone is to get the external flash which I am down to
three choices a the moment:

Flash thoughts:
Flash after Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 - Hin's Tech Corner

1. Pentax AF 540 (~ $300 after rebate)

2. Vivatar 285HV (~ $85 with a great review in strobist, bounce but
no swivel, but it has zoom)

3. Sunpack 383 (~ $73 with both bounce and swivel but no zoom)

Thoughts on Sunpack 383 in particular are much appreciated as I plan to get Sunpack 383 first and later add Pentax 540 and use the Sunpack 383 as a slave with wireless remote trigger that I need to research on. By default, K100D don't support the pc sync. Comments and corrections are welcome.

Thanks,
Hin
10-30-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the inexpensive flashes there's a sub $110 p-ttl flash from digital concepts in ebay. I got one but I haven't had the time to use it. It does everything you can think of. Tilt, swivel, fron+rear curtain, slave ect.

If you want something more powerful get the sigma ef-500 gt st or super. They go for under $200 and IMO are as the 540.
10-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Someone using IE7 or older versions of IE, please let me know if you can access okay with the above two links.

Thanks a bunch.
Hin

Works with Safari.:-)

Dave
10-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, please review for us

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
For the inexpensive flashes there's a sub $110 p-ttl flash from digital concepts in ebay. I got one but I haven't had the time to use it. It does everything you can think of. Tilt, swivel, fron+rear curtain, slave ect.

If you want something more powerful get the sigma ef-500 gt st or super. They go for under $200 and IMO are as the 540.
Deni,

What happen to your thyristor flash! I hope you like the digital concepts, please review it for the forum and I am sure many people would like to hear your initial impressions and thoughts on the least expensive alternative as pttl flash. What are missing in this flash as compared to Pentax 360.

Thanks,
Hin
10-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, should work for IE7 too

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote
Works with Safari.:-)

Dave
Thanks for the comment and feedback on Safari. I managed to pin down the widget in my blog page that comes from one of the advertisers displaying a tag-cloud widget probably using flash graphics with some javascript/php code not compatible to IE7.

Thanks,
Hin