Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LCD Glare problems

I found and bought an LCD Hood / Loupe at around $69.00. it’s one of the best gadget I found in a long time to help rid of unwanted glare and at the same time, allowing viewing adjustment to your particular eyesight. It's made by Hoodman USA. Anybody else used it? I wrote my impression of it on this blog: Pentax dslrs: Glare Free camera LCD screens

Are there better hoods or loupes that the Hoodman's HoodLoupe?

10-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a little off-topic and I apologize for it, but once I noticed who had posted, I wanted to say that I recently purchased a copy of your K100D book and it is terrific. I have gone through if fairly closely 1 time, and I am re-reading it during my morning/afternoon commute on the metro. The detail is so much better than the owner's manual.

Again, sorry for the "mini" hi-jack.
10-09-2007, 02:21 PM   #3

Another option - Inexpensive

I always carry a slide viewer in my bag, the basic view one slide type that you can find at camera stores still. They are around $10 and once you remove the white frosted diffuser from the front, they are a great assist in daylight.

Phil
10-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi k10dbook

Interested to see your LCD Hood / Loupe post. I'm slightly perplexed, as I'd have thought that at such close quarters, all you would see was magnified pixels on the rear LCD ? I have a Camera Bellows magnifier

Camera Bellows

fitted on an old Fuji S602Z, but I don't find it much use for critical focussing ? I am simply intrigued to learn what you make of your LCD Hood/Loupe, as it's double the price in the U.K. & therefore quite a lot to lay out on an unknown quantity, so to speak !

Best regards
Richard

10-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi k10dbook

Interested to see your LCD Hood / Loupe post. I'm slightly perplexed, as I'd have thought that at such close quarters, all you would see was magnified pixels on the rear LCD ? I have a Camera Bellows magnifier

Camera Bellows

fitted on an old Fuji S602Z, but I don't find it much use for critical focussing ? I am simply intrigued to learn what you make of your LCD Hood/Loupe, as it's double the price in the U.K. & therefore quite a lot to lay out on an unknown quantity, so to speak !

Best regards
Richard
Richard,

First, I don't manufacture these, I only did a mini review on it. The HoodLoupe, although it uses the word loupe, actually shows the screen is a wide angle mode whese the pisels are not viewable at all. The image is smooth just like you were looking at the LCD screen from 12" away. Here is how the manufacturer explains it "Hoodloupe adjusts focus just like a binocular eye piece... you turn the eye piece in or out to set for your vision. Minimal magnification is used to eliminate visual pixilation of your image."

I was skeptic as well but then I saw one in Sammy's camera is Southern California. I tried it and was immediately impressed. I purchased one and use it everyday. It's almost better than a new lense.

Regards,

Yvon Bourque
10-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi Yvon

Thanks for the quick reply and I fully understand that you are not responsible for manufacturing this product yourself ! It's just that having purchased the Camera Bellows magnifying hood, I was slightly disappointed when I realised it wasn't quite what I was initially looking for.
However I will certainly investigate the HoodLoupe further and see if I can try one out at a photographic store in the London area,

Best regards
Richard