Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 02:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kavolis Quote
I've had K-x. Now I own K-7. From my experience K-x focus in normal lighting conditions is more snappy and high ISO performance is much much better, no comparison here. K-r in generaly is Kx with fixed inperfections (AF assist lamp and focus pont illumination). My vote goes for K-r.
so what made you to move from k-x to k-7?

01-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
so what made you to move from k-x to k-7?
It must have been K-5, not K-7 (which I bought for 700$)... long story (short description of it - "economic crisis" ), sh... happens I'm not sayng that I'm unhappy with my K-7, just K-x has something (previous post about that) what I'm missing in K-7.
01-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Interesting thought: sell my fully serviced ZX-5N, and my fully serviced Super Program, and buy a K-5. Let's see how throwing this wrench in complicates things!
01-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That last post was more or less joking, but it did make me realize something:

I shoot a lot of film. I actually prefer the look of film to digital. I almost always use manual focus, and I've never even shot with film faster than ISO 800. I've never used faster than 400 on my Zeiss Ikon medium format. This really puts into perspective how important breakneck focussing and super telephoto class sensitivity are to me.

I do believe I'm in the market for a K-7.

Thanks to everyone for taking time to help a poor college student in deciding his near future in photography.

02-05-2011, 10:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
I had a similar dilemma - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129289-%A3600-%249...d-you-buy.html

I have a K-7 on order - it's the weather sealing and two control dials that swung it for me.
Hey Soul. Have you gotten your K-7 yet? What are you thinking about it? How's it handling noise? My K-r is still stick with C.R.I.S. for another week at least they said.
02-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I have got my K-7, but I've not had much chance to use it yet! I updated the firmware last night but I've not done any 'proper' photography with it yet.

It doesn't feel as natural in my hand as the K10 did, but I had that camera a long time, so that's natural.

Noise wise it's a bit of a mixed bag. The extent of my 'pixel peeping' is on the rear screen really, and the k-7 looks a bit worse than the k10 - but it has a higher resolution screen, so it might be that.

The odd shot I've pulled up large on the computer looks ok, although I'd say that it's hardly leaps and bounds above the K10. The (very rare) RAW image I've processed (PS Elements 6 / Mac) clean up well.

I don't think I've got my JPG settings quite how I want them yet - as I tend to use my camera mainly for shots of my baby daughter I don't have time for RAW that often, so on the K10 I tried lots of settings until I got jpgs I liked straight from the camera. There are more options on the k-7, so it takes longer to find what works for you!

In terms of build quality and 'feel' it's great, and it was nice to have it with me when we were palying in the park in the rain; my wife, my daughter and I, without having to worry about it. I guess those two reasons (two e-dials and weather sealing) were more important to me that the better noise handling of the K-r.
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone. My K-r is finally on its way back from C.R.I.S.. I'll let you all know how it turned out.
02-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #23

So, Bsamcash, what's the verdict on your returned K-r?

02-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey there Doobie. It actually just arrived earlier today. I've been testing it and, unfortunately, it still seems to have some FF in as small as f4 in artificial lighting. It is much better though. It's a sharp lens, so I know it's not that. But it's barely noticeable. I haven't tried adjusting it too much, but I'm guessing it can be compensated since it's more accurate. The good news though is the e-dial is usable now! That makes me happy! But it still is only the first day.