Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sell K-r for K-7?

Hello members, and thanks for your time.

My K-r has been with C.R.I.S. for three weeks and they seem to be having trouble fixing some issues I've been experiencing with it. So, I've been considering letting it go for a K-7.

I originally chose the K-r to replace my trusty, old K-x for the faster AF wider DR. I don't normally go above ISO 800, so I don't think that would be an issue with the K-7. Plus, weather sealing would be great.

Has anyone out there used both and can make a comparison of image quality and ergonomics, or something I may not have considered?

Thanks again.

01-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used both a K7 and Kx. It depends on what you need.

K7 does have more buttons for fast access. There is no need to even take the eye off the viewfinder.
The Kx (and so Kr) will have better high ISO performance.

The Kr will also have a much better in-camera HDR function and faster AF.

Get the K7 if you need to work very fast. Other than that and the top LCD panel, it has very little advantage over the Kr.
01-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a similar dilemma - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/129289-%A3600-%249...d-you-buy.html

I have a K-7 on order - it's the weather sealing and two control dials that swung it for me.
01-25-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have no idea but many people in his forum like colors produced by k20d/k-7 more than those of k-r/k-x. As noted by many, k20D/k-7 has better IQ especially colors at low ISO & k-r/k-x IQ is not like typical Pentax colors. As I mentions, I have no personal experience with k20d/k-x, just reiterating what I have read.

Yusuf

01-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, it does look like the pendulum is swinging toward the K-7. It seems to be the winner in most things that matter to me. But could you elaborate more on the AF speeds? Pinholecam, I never thought my K-x to be slow when I had it, but the K-r blew me away. How does the K-7 compare to those two in speed and accuracy?
01-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh! Another thought. The K-7 has rotational compensation - how effective is it? I tend to be a little rough on the shutter release as I get used to the feel of my MX and Spotmatic.

Again, thanks for everyone's help.
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found with the K7 that as long as you stick at or close to the 1/fl for shutter speed you're good to go. You can go slower but you need to relax your stance and be mindful (as I do) of the shutter press tilt. There is Some camera movement that NO SR system will compensate for.

As to which to keep, they are two different cameras. Having never held a K-x or K-r, take this for what I think it's worth. The K7 is a very well built camera, high ISO noise aside. Being able to control Everything at exposure time without pressing a bunch of buttons, is a big plus to me. If however, you want a High ISO machine, stick with your K-r or sell it and get another K-x, saving your pennies for a K5. Then you'll have the best of All Pentax dSLR worlds (currently offered). The K7 just can't hang there without some significant noise reduction. Mine rarely left ISO 100 unless I Knew the conditions would get me a usable photo.

01-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have both the K5 and the K7 (and have/am considering swopping the K7 for a Kr - but for the lack of two dials dissuading me from going that route) and I must say that I really love the K5.

However although I didn't find the AF on the K7 responsible for missing many shots, the high noise in shots that couldn't be cleaned up (800 to 1,600 max) compared to the K5 (read: Kr) is absolutely huge and it means on the K5 (read: Kr) slower lenses become much more useful again.

It's not just about the cameras but about how the lenses you use will work on them and the type of photography you want to use them for.
01-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input Frogfish and Jeff.

I shoot almost exclusively with fast primes - my F 50mm 1:1.7 being my favorite. Plus, I'm soon to also have the DA 40mm 2.8 Limited, which I chose to get over the DA (L) 35 2.4 for only 100USD more.

Knowing this - the speed and quality the primes bring - would anything above ISO 1600 really be necessary? Like I said before, I rarely go beyond 800 now, I max at 1600 and that's at night without lights on. Will the K-7 be sufficient for this? I guess this is my main factor in choosing, because I'm not really reading any complaints about the AF of the K-7, that it's not bad, it's just that the K-5/K-r are better.
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me answer that last one: on speed and low light shooting. With the K-7, a fast prime lens will allow you to shoot at much lower ISO and you will get great shots.

I shoot often with the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 even in low light, and I love this fast lens. In addition to the superb IQ, the fast lens coupled with the K-7 works very well and I am sure that oui 50mm f1.7 will give you great shots on the K-7.

Similarly I get great shots with the FA31mm f1.8, but the lens is as fast as the Nokton 58mm f1.4.

Hope that the comment help.
01-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, it does look like the pendulum is swinging toward the K-7. It seems to be the winner in most things that matter to me. But could you elaborate more on the AF speeds? Pinholecam, I never thought my K-x to be slow when I had it, but the K-r blew me away. How does the K-7 compare to those two in speed and accuracy?

AF speed is faster on the Kr. I've tried it in the local Pentaxian gatherings. Not sure if its the same as K5, but certainly faster than K7,Kx. Less hesitation unlike the former 2. Remember how a Kx or K7 will be uncertain with focus in low light? The Kr and K5 don't have that.
The Kr is basically a Kx+ . It has the same sensor and brought over some of the K7/K5 features to it.
Can't comment on accuracy though. I have tried it but not to the level of such scrutiny. Neither have I seen any of the so called accuracy issues on my K5.
01-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Hcc. You seem to be partial to primes as well, and that helps sway me a lot.

Pinholecam, yeah, I remember the hunting. I was just hoping the assist lamp and wavelength sensor would ensure a little more decisiveness. I know my K-r wouldn't hunt much up until available light shots, when it would then flash the assist lamp and catch the target pretty quickly. I would hate to be without focusing like that now that I've gotten used to it.
01-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
Thanks Hcc. You seem to be partial to primes as well, and that helps sway me a lot.

Pinholecam, yeah, I remember the hunting. I was just hoping the assist lamp and wavelength sensor would ensure a little more decisiveness. I know my K-r wouldn't hunt much up until available light shots, when it would then flash the assist lamp and catch the target pretty quickly. I would hate to be without focusing like that now that I've gotten used to it.

The K7 does not focus so decisively as the K5 (Kr) in low light so if you swap your Kr for a K7 you will be giving that up. Having read your replies throughout this thread it doesn't seem to me that you need the K7s strong points (WR, dual dials etc.) whereas you would really miss the high ISO ability of the Kr.

BTW I used to shoot the FA50/1.4 and 43/1.8 Ltd on the K7 and no way does it come close to the K5 (Kr).
01-26-2011, 01:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
The K7 does not focus so decisively as the K5 (Kr) in low light so if you swap your Kr for a K7 you will be giving that up. Having read your replies throughout this thread it doesn't seem to me that you need the K7s strong points (WR, dual dials etc.) whereas you would really miss the high ISO ability of the Kr.

BTW I used to shoot the FA50/1.4 and 43/1.8 Ltd on the K7 and no way does it come close to the K5 (Kr).
Yeah. You may be right. I think it's just the pro in me wanting a more professional body. Maybe if I wasn't so stupid and actually charged for my commissions instead of trying to remain an amateur hobbyist, I'd have a K-5 by now. Haha.
01-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #15

I've had K-x. Now I own K-7. From my experience K-x focus in normal lighting conditions is more snappy and high ISO performance is much much better, no comparison here. K-r in generaly is Kx with fixed inperfections (AF assist lamp and focus pont illumination). My vote goes for K-r.