Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Concerned about plagiarism?

I learned of this site/service today. Upload an image and it searches for copies or even modified examples of it. It's so clever - and free! - that I can only assume that it works by smoke and mirrors or fairy dust!!

TinEye Reverse Image Search

Apologies if anyone has linked it already.

01-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i use it on a regular basis, it's not great but it does work some times, found a few items this way
01-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks for this. For example:

Day 16 – and last! Back to Sydney | Riding4aCause.org

vs.

Motorcycle at Hawk's Nest - a twisty motorcycle road | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That was a cracking example, John, they even moved the scene half the world away!

01-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

great example John, have you invoiced them (and if so did they pay since it's apparent they are still using it and haven't credited you (why would they since they are claiming in the story it's on the other side of the bloody world)
01-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

What really drives me nuts is people think nothing of out and out theft of others intellectual property without even bothering to ask. I'm pretty certain since he was riding for charity and needed something to illustrate the article you probably would have agreed to use for credit since it's already been in Roadrunner (provided roadrunner didn't pay for exclusive rights)

Even harder to catch than this type of thing is when people use your work to make and sell prints. one of the guys on Rangefinder forum walked into a newly renovated pub in his area and was stunned to find his image printed and hanging on the wall. the designers did it, not the pub they assumed it was legit at the pub level, he's pursuing the brewery and the design firm but as far as I know he's not had a satisfactory resolution at this time. Complete bloody fluke that he caught them. A couple of years back Heineken referenced a bunch of concert photographers shots . I know of at least 12 of us that submitted invoices and it was only when we threatened legal action that we got anything back (which typically the lawyers ended up with the bulk of) but our pics came down and we proved a point
01-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
great example John, have you invoiced them (and if so did they pay since it's apparent they are still using it and haven't credited you (why would they since they are claiming in the story it's on the other side of the bloody world)
No invoice yet. Just a bit of public humble pie via their website, their facebook, and any other place I can hunt them down...
01-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

First thing I do is send an invoice and thank them for their interest in using my work and explain that in future they need to contact me for all usage of my work (i have words to that effect on my flickr as well which seems to be where the issue always originates.(tho the point that I may well close out my account at some point and just run a private web site via flash so work is harder to steal)
sometimes because they use the flickr api incorrectly (and randomly take images copyrighted or not) stupid things happen. A city in Virginia mined photos of a band playing in Toronto (a band from Scotland) I sent the City Treasurer an invoice. They removed the link apologized blah blah, I still held out for a reduced fee since the work came down. they paid after I pointed out US copyright laws and informed them I would contact every photographer they mined to ensure they were being paid (that worked)

01-26-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

For anyone following, the group that lifted my photo has apologized and pulled down the fail. They claim to have taken the file from another site - not my Flickr - and that other site apparently did attribute me.

Time to hunt them down...
01-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

probably the site you had it published on that you linked to on Flickr. they did credit you when you clicked it. Really I'd like to know why they would use a pic from halfway across the world to illustrate the story. Editors have been fired for less
01-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Thoughts to improve your chances:

Always post a lower res. JPG file (1500x1500)

Strip out the EXIF info., so they do not know where and when it was taken.

I know that, with the APIs, it too easy to gather all of your pics. from many of the online photo sites. (I wrote my own mining program in 1 hour)
02-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks to all for the links and info.