Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D and WR lenses

I've decided not to sell my K200D, I wouldn't get enough for it (ie its worth much more to me, to keep it, than the market woiuld want to pay for it). So, to this end, I've decided to acquire WR lens/lenses, and the K200 will be my foul weather camera .

I'm currently mizzling between the 18-135WR and the 18-55 + 50-200 WR. MOST of my stuff is shot at under 135 so I'm thinking that would be the logically best option, but I am also looking at IQ and at this point have no clear idea about which of those lenses are "best". I can't afford to buy DA* lenses, not only because they are too expensive, but also because they are too heavy for me. (I mostly handhold and my wrists are ratty)

So... 18-135, or the two others. Which will get the sharpest shots?

01-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #2

Check out the 18-135mm review on this site

Hi Kyteflyer.

I am having similar thoughts. I really like my K200D and can't afford a K5. I am looking at getting a WR lens to go with it. From the recent review on this site, the 18-135mm tends to be a bit sharper than the 18-55mm. IMO it will be easier to carry the one lens if it will meet most of your needs. I will likely get that the 18-135mm to replace my 18-55mm, and then pick a prime for the wide angle (15mm Limited) and a 300mm or so for the telephoto end.

There is also a recent review of the 50-200 WR on this site - check the Professional Review page. Unfortunately you cannot directly compare the images between the 18-135 WR and the 50-200 WR reviews but you can compare both lenses with the 18-55.

Cheers

Topher

Last edited by topher; 01-25-2011 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added additional information
01-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by topher Quote
Hi Kyteflyer.

I am having similar thoughts. I really like my K200D and can't afford a K5. I am looking at getting a WR lens to go with it. From the recent review on this site, the 18-135mm tends to be a bit sharper than the 18-55mm II. IMO it will be easier to carry the one lens if it will meet most of your needs. I will likely get that the 18-135mm to replace my 18-55mm II, and then pick a prime for the wide angle (15mm Limited) and a 300mm or so for the telephoto end.

There is also a recent review of the 50-200 WR on this site - check the Professional Review page. Unfortunately you cannot directly compare the images between the 18-135 WR and the 50-200 WR reviews but you can compare both lenses with the 18-55.

Cheers

Topher
Thanks for your thought, Topher. I was after the K5 also but in the end went with the K-r, you can see what I have in my sig. I did read the review of the 50-200, that was what got me started on considering which to get. I might just spend some time looking in the PPG by lens info as well.
01-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I may have a different suggestion. You are after a 'foul weather system'.

I shoot often outdoor including in very bad weather, mud, rainstorm, dust storm, salty conditons... For example, I was out shooting during the recent Queensland floods. Let me use my own experience (see signature for the gears).

I have two foul weather systems: (1) K-7+DA18-250mm for daytime, and (2) K-7 +Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 for dusk and dawn conditions, and night times. I have used both setups for more than a year in Europe, Asia and Australia. I can recommend both lenses on the K-7: I had not a single problem despite some very bad, atrocious conditions.

Based upon my own experience, let me share two relevant advices:

* in foul weather, you want one camera and one lens. Full stop. You do not want to swap lenses in foul weather.

* you do not need to use a WR lens. You need a robust, sturdy lens that has a solid track record. Instead of a WR lens, you are better off selecting a very sturdy lens that does the job.

I noted that you already have the Tamron 18-250mm that is the sibbling of the DA18-250mm. That lens is very sturdy as demonstrated by many Pentaxians incl. professionals. You could use it and save on the 18-135mm WR.

01-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

I noted that you already have the Tamron 18-250mm that is the sibbling of the DA18-250mm. That lens is very sturdy as demonstrated by many Pentaxians incl. professionals. You could use it and save on the 18-135mm WR.
OH! I had not thought of that. In fact the 18-250 is the lens on the K200 as we speak, for the very reasons you list. I don't like changing lenses when the weather is really dodgy, however, I did not realise/think it was *that* robust. Is the Pentax version just rebadged or is the build what makes it so sturdy (ie is it significantly different in build, to the tamron?)
01-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
OH! ...I did not realise/think it was *that* robust. Is the Pentax version just rebadged or is the build what makes it so sturdy (ie is it significantly different in build, to the tamron?)
Yes the DA18-250mm is robust. See for example:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/93367-k-7-steve-kr...gua-6962m.html
Steve Kroeger mit der Pentax K-7 auf dem Aconcagua | fotointern.ch - Fotografie Nachrichten

The lens on Steve Kroeger is the DA18-250mm!

The DA18-250mm is in fact a Tamron 1-250mm rebadged!

Hope that the comment helps....
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second the opinion on the 18 - 250. I think the Tamron and the Pentax are the same lenses, if I recall, and the Pentax is a rebadged Tamron. But I may be wrong.

The only caveat I would make is to use a rainsleeve (OpTech) with your 18-250. They're very cheap and it's added insurance. The lens telescopes in and out as you zoom, and you don't want to take the chance that it will suck moisture inside the lens and from there into the camera.

It's a damned fine lens, and I plan on taking it, along with a DA 20mm and DA 40mm for fair days and walkaround, together with my K200D on a 2 week photo shoot of my old home town: Niagara Falls, a bride's second biggest disappointment but a photographer's delight!

Good hunting.

01-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Yes the DA18-250mm is robust. ...

The DA18-250mm is in fact a Tamron 1-250mm rebadged!

Hope that the comment helps....
Um... yeah. It helps :-D

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
I second the opinion on the 18 - 250....

Good hunting.
Thanks snofox, looks like with the help from all of you, I have saved myself some dollars

Rain jacket for lens, great idea, I'll get one.
01-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
Rain jacket for lens, great idea, I'll get one.
The rain jacket is a good idea for a zoom lens like the 18-250mm. During the pumping action, there is some risk to get some dust, dirst, water in the lens. I do not use myself a rainsleeve, but I wipe regularly the lens, especially before zooming out. (In fact I carry a small wipe in my bag all the time.)

For prime lenses, you really do not require a rainsleeve, because there is no 'pumping' motion.
01-26-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
Inactive Account

OP question went into non-WR arena as expected like 18-250mm, if you deal with non-WR lenses my choice would definitely be DA16-45 and DA55-300 to cover everything, they are the sharpest, and they way surpass the 18-250mm in this manner, I have 18-250mm and it is soft in both ends...
01-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I went to Costa Rica as part of a cruise. It was raining at the time of our rain forest tour. I guess that is why it's called a rain forest. I grabbed all the wash cloths from our bathroom and a plastic bag. For shooting, I draped the bag over the Pentax DA 18-250mm and a wash cloth over the bag. When the cloth got wet, it became heavy enough to keep the bag from slipping off. I could zoom by reaching under the bag. The other people on the tour looked at me like I was strange, but I got some pictures that they didn't. My K200D was dripping wet, but the lens was and still is fine. On the ride back, I used the dry wash cloths to wipe the camera and lens. I didn't even try to change lenses in the rain. I wished that the K200 had better high ISO, not much light in the forest during a rain.