Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-X shutter sound similar to K-R?

(First post - a little about me. I've had the photo bug since the 1970s. Cut my teeth on a Sears-branded screw-mount-lens match-needle SLR, then Canon A-1, then Nikon N8008s. I like being able to use manual settings (and lament the loss of DOF scales from lenses) but my wife and teenage son will be using the camera too and they're more in the put-it-on-auto type of shooters, although my son has a great eye)

I've never had a DSLR, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a K-X kit (B&H has a great price right now on the 18-55 + 50-200 kit - at least it seems a great price to me), but have had trouble locating one locally to try out. I would like to buy more camera, but our budget is cramped.

I did find a K-R at Fry's and tried it, and liked it. The control layout seems good, and I think my wife and kid will be able to pick it up and use it on "green" without much difficulty, too. I've done a lot of research online, and to me it's not worth the extra $$ for the difference between K-X and K-R. The K-X seems a great value compared to the Canons and Nikons out there.

The only real question I have is about the sound of the shutter. I have read that the K-X shutter is somewhat noisy, as in loud. The K-R that I tried didn't seem objectionably loud to me, but then my current SLR is almost 20 years old and has a motor drive, too. Is the K-X shutter any louder than the K-R's ??

Thanks!

01-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't say for sure, but I'd be willing to bet that the sounds are exactly the same.

I just got my K-r on Monday, and I have NO IDEA what people are talking about with the sound. It sounds great to me! Much more smooth and refined than my K10D.
01-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably sounds a bit more snappy that the k-x's, I'd say it's like comparing the k10's to the k7's.
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can confirm that it's about the same. If there's any difference, it's negligible. But realize, you tried it in a likely loud store. The mirror and shutter probably aren't as loud as the film SLRs you're used to, but it's noisy for a modern-day digital.

01-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The K-x is a bit loud but realistically there are only a few situations where it's a problem; mainly taking shots in quiet environments where you don't want to announce the fact you're taking that photo.
01-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Admittedly, I've always thought my K10D was rather loud. It never bothered me, I just figured it was par for the course of having a camera that was required to move a mirror to take a shot. But I picked up a D3100 in the store the other day (just messing around) and I was really taken aback at how quiet the shutter/mirror actuation was.