Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

KX deal at Ultimate Electronics: $430 -w- lens

I just joined the DSLR club, so I registered for the forum. I figured I'd alert folks that I found a Demo KX at Ultimate in Denver for $430. The kit batteries are a little worn down, but it otherwise looks new. Not too many Ultimates appear to stock them, but if you are looking, you might want to check. Always interesting buying stuff in a big box store. The sales girl had taken "mile high" to heart. Now if only my SD card would arrive, I could try it out and have questions for all of you!

Paul

01-26-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It seems that Ultimate Electronics is always discounting their Pentax gear - the problem is they don't advertise it, and stock is also spotty - I went in here in MN last time someone had posted about a sale, only to find they had no Pentax stock in MN at all. That is a decent deal for a demo, assuming it'll carry the standard manufacturer's warranty.
01-26-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your new KX and welcome to the forums! Sounds like you got a killer deal.

Paul (the 3rd Paul in this thread, it appears)
01-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Good deal. I got a K-x last summer at ultimate Electronics off Santa Fe in Littleton for $425 open box. When I had an issue with it they exchanged it for me, even.

01-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Their website makes it obnoxious to determine which stores carry what. Of all the Ultimates in Denver, this may have been the only one with a KX. I expected to find a new one at $499 (as the website indicated), yet the only piece in stock appeared to be this demo. Luckily, I'm happy to have weak batteries and a cheap camera! I couldn't wait any longer, so I did run out and pick up a memory card. Staples has a decent sale right now on PNY and Sandisk. (Not as cheap as Amazon or Ebay). Now the fun begins!

Paul
01-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Paul, go to Micro Center and get the SD cards at checkout. Usually about half the price of ones you will find anywhere else and they are Class 4. I think I picked up 2 4 GB cards for $5.99 or $6.99 each. I've never had one of any brand fail on me, and figure most of them probably get manufactured at the same spot. I use 4GB cards because I can fit the contents of one onto a DVD-R.
01-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
I actually live in the center of the Nebraska Panhandle, so no Micro Center here! The Staples deal is pretty good though, for a bricks and mortar store. They have PNY class 4 8gb cards for $15 and 16GB for $30. The card I have ordered for JandR is a PNY 16gb, but class 10 for $27. I'll be curious to see if I notice any performance differences! Staples also had decent prices on Sandisk, but they were, of course, more expensive. And they were made in China, vs. the PNY, which were made in Japan. Not that I have anything against Chinese manufacture. Also still waiting for the bag. Bought a used Pentax SLR holster bag on Ebay. And I need to dig around in my box o' AC adapters and see if I can find something appropriate to use while upgrading the firmware.

Paul
01-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjanda1 Quote
I actually live in the center of the Nebraska Panhandle, so no Micro Center here! The Staples deal is pretty good though, for a bricks and mortar store. They have PNY class 4 8gb cards for $15 and 16GB for $30. The card I have ordered for JandR is a PNY 16gb, but class 10 for $27. I'll be curious to see if I notice any performance differences! Staples also had decent prices on Sandisk, but they were, of course, more expensive. And they were made in China, vs. the PNY, which were made in Japan. Not that I have anything against Chinese manufacture. Also still waiting for the bag. Bought a used Pentax SLR holster bag on Ebay. And I need to dig around in my box o' AC adapters and see if I can find something appropriate to use while upgrading the firmware.

Paul

rule of thumb for sd card.
4gb = 5 dollars, 8gb = 10+
every time you double up add a few dollars, 8GB is normally 10-13, and 16 is 20-25.

I'm talking high speed (class 6 and above).

Sources? most online store, newegg, amazon ect... I normally buy card in bulk, last time i got 6 X 4GB class 6 for 5 dollars each free shipping, lol, so I always have spares around.

01-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A word of caution, I bought a "new" K-20 from Ultimate in Arizona at a very low clearance price, and it was nothing but trouble getting the AF to work. Finally took it back for a refund and found out the "new" camera was in fact a demo that had been sitting out and handled, and possibly mishandled, for months,
Brian