Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Make JPEG's from PC viewable on DSLR

It seems that by default K200D is able to view only those JPEG images taken by itself.

Sometimes i'd like to show some part of my image collection on TV somewhere away from PC.

Has anyone successfully converted and edited JPEG, back to a state where camera is able to view it again. Where did you stored it (taken picture folder?), didnt it mess up image numbering?

Probably there are some magic EXIF tags, standard image sizes and JPEG properties (quantization tables, etc) that are supported by the camera and hardcoded. Or is it simpler? (like correct file name)

01-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I asked this exact questions a while back because I didn't want to carry my laptop everywhere to show people my photos and I am sorry to say that no one knew of a way to view modified photos on a DSLR. I have tried searching google to no avail. It seems as though once you change the photo it permanently alters either some code or exif data so that the camera can no longer recognize it. Maybe if it is the exif data, someone might know of a way to change the data back into a recognizable form.
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you copy over the exif headers you could probably accomplish this, but I think viewing photos on your smartphone would be easier.
01-26-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Maybe if it is the exif data, someone might know of a way to change the data back into a recognizable form.
I use PaintShopPro9 for editing. Let's say I load PIC1.JPG and PIC2.JPG where PIC1 came from my K20D (circa 2008, 4672x3104 pixels) and PIC2 came from my 1.1mpx Sony DSC-P20 (circa 2001, 1216x912 pixels). I copy the wee little contents of PIC2 into the editor's buffer, then write those contents into the PIC1 window, and save that. The EXIF data still reflects the old PIC1, not the copied PIC2.

How the K20D will handle the size mismatch if it tries to display the modified PIC1, I can't say 'cause I haven't tried that yet. I just use the contents transplant to spoof some browsers. Hmmm, I suppose to be safe, after transplanting the contents, I should resize it back to 4672x3104 pixels. That would eliminate any size mismatch.

Anyway, you could try this transplant technique. Or use a smartphone as Adam suggests. KISS, eh?

01-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I stuck an SD card from a Canon P&S into the K200D and it showed the photos. Wouldn't auto rotate though, and it displayed some error (can't remember now) when it ran into a video.
01-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, you can copy the EXIF headers. I've done it before using a program called jHead. I did it to create a pixel-level grid so I could find out which zoom level on the K10D was 1:1 (it was 12x).
01-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok. I did some testing.

What has worked (with browsing, viewing, zooming, rotating):
Copying EXIF and renaming to IMGPXXXX.jpeg arbitary image from other camera, no cropping, no resaving (16:9 aspect, different resolution and JPEG compression).
Copying EXIF and renaming to IMGPXXXX.jpeg image from internet, pasted in GIMP over image from DSLR. (Even with some editing).

What does not work:
Copying only EXIF - i guess the cam reads files only with standard names. Others dont even show up.
Image from net with EXIF and renaming. Shows only EXIF preview. One image says cannot zoom, another one freezes camera.
Image from net pasted in image from DSLR, renaming, no EXIF copying. Gives error on image read.
Image from net pasted in image from DSLR, resized, LowQ JPEG, exif and filename ok. Gives error on zoom, shows original preview. It seems that some sort of parameters have to be preserved besides EXIF. Interesting how it was able to show pics straight from compact cam.

In all cases EXIF preview of source JPEG is shown.
Now i shall write a simple conversion shell script.
This is quite nice, because i was looking for command line/batch solution i could apply to folder i want to view from camera.

Currently to view completely random image on camera i have to:
1. Take untouched image from my DSLR.
2. Without disturbing original dimensions paste image to be viewed over the original one. Picture can be edited (effects, painting), if dimensions are preserved.
3. Saved as (new copy) with option "Preserve original quality settings" (in gimp).
4. Rename (or name during save) in form IMGPXXXX.JPG (where XXXX is a number - this can mess image numbering in camera, choose numbers wisely).
5. Use jhead to copy EXIF from original image: jhead -te <source image filename> <destination image filename>
6. Copy image to <disk>/DCIM/100PENTX (???PENTX - i guess this part can vary from camera to camera and with different shot count).

Still looking for more complete and flexible solution. GIMP is not quite batch.

P.S. If i find out something new, i'll just add here.

Thanks for help.

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-27-2011 at 02:46 PM.
01-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Interesting question.

Modern TVs have usb ports and modern DVD players have usb ports.

I use a flash card reader with usb plug. The card comes out of my camera, into the reader, which plugs into the TV or DVD usb port. I can then display the images on the card. I also use this method to transfer images to my PC - faster than hassling with a cable from camera to PC.

I can't though play the video from the camera, if that is what you want to do.

01-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, i've used the other options aswell, but they are not always availible or convenient enough. E.g. DVD is dead slow and sometimes doesnt read the image at all. It has no rotate, scaling or other controls i might need.
01-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose you could use gimp's --batch option from the command line to automate whatever you want done in gimp?
01-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I suppose you could use gimp's --batch option from the command line to automate whatever you want done in gimp?
Thats what i'm thinking of right now. Just dont have a spare time to look up the necessary commands. When the script is ready, ill post it up here. I'm also wondering if there were any dedicated command line image processing tools, that might be more efficient.

Last edited by ytterbium; 01-29-2011 at 05:28 AM.