Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
I'm not complaining, I just want to check it's normal before I use the camera in earnest
I personally would not let anyone named Earnest use my K-7. The guys I know named Earnest all drive beat up El Caminos or railbuggies and have been working at the diner as a fry cook since the steelmills closed. They tend to go
honky tonking every Saturday night and get in bar fights a lot. Not the kind of guy you would let borrow your dslr.
Why is everyone looking at me like that?

01-27-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have small hands so the tight squeeze with the card slot wasn't a biggie and it (the door hing) actually loosened up a bit over time. To correct something said earlier...If you turn on the K7 and there is no card, you won't find out until you take a picture. The camera will then provide a nice message saying "no card in camera". As far as the card goes, the problem may have to do with it having been formatted on a computer and not the camera itself. If you know anyone else with a K7, I'd let them try it and see if they received the same message. If they do, then its the card. If they don't, have them format the card in their K7 and try it again in yours. If it still won't work in yours, then its the K7.
01-28-2011, 11:41 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Black tape

I put a small bit of black tape and folded it over the top. When I open the cover it pops up and I grasp it with thumb and forefinger, problem solved.
01-29-2011, 04:58 AM   #19
Inactive Account

No nyt en ihmettele jos löytyy kaikenlaisia vikoja, kun on kaikenlaisia vippaskonseja käytössä. Viat on yleensä käyttäjissä tai väärissä lsälaitteissa. Mietippä tätä.

01-29-2011, 06:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Card removal is just about the hardest thing to do with the camera. I can't imagine how they thought it was acceptable
01-29-2011, 06:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Its "normal". (for whom, I have no idea!) for people like me with large fingers; its a royal pain in the arse!

Had to have my K7 in for repair and asked about having that looked at... C.R.I.S. says some motherboards have tight card slots, some don't. Seems tight card slots is more common.

Spring-popping the card does nothing for mine. It never ejects enough to grab easily. I've had my K7 for over a year with probably nearing a thousand card ejects. It has not loosened up a bit. I don't suspect it will...

Take some plastic tape, stronger than Scotch tape (it rips too easily), and make a small pull-tab on the end. If its too big it will interfere with water seals, so cut carefully. All my cards have little tabs now and problem is effectively solved.

Last edited by amoringello; 01-29-2011 at 07:19 AM.
01-29-2011, 06:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine isn't so tight I can't get it out, fortunately. It's just tight, and I wanted to check I wasn't going to put strain on the connection between the reader bit and the motherboard - I guess I was more paranoid as my previously problem-free Sandisk won't work in it.

01-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #23

Honestly guys...this is the easiest work-around for any K-7 (and I assume K-5) there is...Ully in an earlier post has got it right and I have been doing this since I first got my K-7.

Just double over some tape to form a tab and attach it to the end of the card so that you have something to grab....then the card comes out easily.....no worries. Just make sure that it is not too long so that it impedes the card door from closing.

My tabs are 10mm long of doubled up 3M magic tape.
01-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I personally would not let anyone named Earnest use my K-7. Why is everyone looking at me like that?
Specully if his middle nitial wuz P. and his last name wuz World.....
01-30-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
Banned

This was my only complaint coming from the K10D, which had generous space between the card and its cover that allowed me to place a finger on both sides to pull the card out. With the K-7 you just need to grab the card by the edges and it isn't as comfortable, but it works. So just work on this different technique.
01-31-2011, 02:57 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Testasin kymmenen eri korttia ja merkkiä iK-5. Kaikki kortit tulee ulos helposti ei vaikeuksia. Ei vaikuta edes sormien paksuus.
01-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I just bought a K-7 and it is a pain getting the cards out, especially compared to the K-x. I'll have to try the tape method suggested. Thanks to those who suggested this.
01-31-2011, 11:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Mine loosened up. It is not as easy to take a card out as my K10D, but it is not as hard as it was when I first got it.
01-31-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

compared to my 10d it's a pain, but i have no issues with the pop up on any of my cards(yet) so it's just a little finicky. given i usually have an 8-16 gig card loaded it's not a huge inconvenience. if i was shooting 2 g cards and video i might have more of an issue with it.
01-31-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mine already seems looser than it was - I take the card out and download whenever I've finished with the camera for the day.