Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7 owners: how hard is it to remove an SD card?

Hi - my new K-7 arrived yesterday so I spent last night playing with it, and I just have a quick question.

The SD card goes in smoothly, and when you press it to eject it, it pops up smoothly too. However, it takes quite a tug to actually get it out from the 'popped' position. Much more of a tug than it took to get the same card from my K10d or my camcorder.

Is this usual?

Also, having got the K-7 as a replacement for my K10d which had the 'no memory card' error, I am now worried that the K-7 says 'No Memeory Card' when I insert the Sandisk Extreme III card I used in the K10 quite happily from the day I bought it until the day it died. I've formatted the card on my computer (can't do it in camera as it doesn't think there is a card) an it works perfectly in my camcorder - but the K-7 won't recognise it at all.

There could be something wrong with the card I suppose, but that would be a massive coincidence (and there was definitely a hardware problem with the K10 because the insurance company took it in to check) and that also wouldn't explain how it works with the camcorder.

The K-7 works perfectly with the 'Make you've never heard of' SD card that came free as part of the bundle I bought by the way.

So - any idea why it won't read the SanDisk, would you send it back - and how hard is it to get the card out of the camera on most K-7s?

Thanks in advance.

01-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Is this usual?
Yes, that is normal.
Try to let it flip out as fast and wide as possible.
It's a design error. Same with the K5.
But you get used to it.
01-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
The Sandisk Extreme III cards (and others) are snug on mine and seems to catch a wee bit on the way out. Unsure of the read problems though as mine work fine however if the cheapy card is reading then I would suspect the Sandisk even though its reading in the other items.
01-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry but I don't agree that it is a design error at all.
It is snug when new but will get looser with use.

01-27-2011, 05:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my K7 was a breeze to remove a 16 gig sandisk extreme card, the same card in a K5 takes a little move effort to remove..its no biggy though..
01-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all - it sounds fine re: the difficulty removing it. I guess I'm paranoid because it was the SD card circuit that was the downfall of my K10d.

Weird how it won't read the SanDisk though.
01-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter

No idea why it won't read the card. My K7 had a pretty tight card slot in the beginning, but it loosened up over time. One suggestion is to push the card in backwards and that will often loosen things up quite a bit.
01-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have had my K-7 for a little over a year and have never felt my Sandisk Extreme III card was a pain to remove. You simply press in and it goes in and pops out thanks to a spring action movement. I never understood why this was ever a complaint from K-7 owners, but judging from the other complaints about anything and everything possible on this forum, it shouldn't surprise me.

Jason

01-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Thanks all - it sounds fine re: the difficulty removing it...
My K-7 is still tight after 16,000 shots and countless removals. The curse of weather proofing, I guess... Now, I'm OK with it and don't give it a second thought.

Regarding your SanDisk issue... After about 3 years of constant use, the little disk lock tab broke on a 4gb Extreme III. This perpetually locked the card. I was prepared to pitch it, but decided to test their lifetime guarantee offer with an inquiry. After a little no-hassle back and forth, I'm very pleased to report, they sent me a new one. So, if you feel the card is at fault, consider contacting them.

Cheers... M
01-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #10
Site Supporter

And here all along I thought it was just me and my K7.

Glad to hear that this is common.
01-27-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Halpakortit eivät toimi, minulla ei ole mitään vikaa, kun omistan merkki tuotteita. Kanataa viilata vähän kortista pois jos ei ole muuta konstia.
01-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I have had my K-7 for a little over a year and have never felt my Sandisk Extreme III card was a pain to remove. You simply press in and it goes in and pops out thanks to a spring action movement. I never understood why this was ever a complaint from K-7 owners, but judging from the other complaints about anything and everything possible on this forum, it shouldn't surprise me.

Jason
I'm not complaining, I just want to check it's normal before I use the camera in earnest - I don't want to put too much strain on the SD socket. Seems they are all like that, so I'll rest easy.

The only things I have that take SD cards are the K-7, my camcorder and my card reader. The camcorder reads the SanDisk every time. The card reader sometimes takes two goes, but it always has done - I just assumed it was something to do with the reader because it was cheap. The K-7 just won't take it at all, and I've even cleaned the contacts on it.

Might contact SanDisk and see what they say - I'd forgotten it has a lifetime guarantee.
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked to see if the lock tab is in the correct position? I cannot test my theory but perhaps that lock tab has been moved during a struggle.
It is in the design of the K-7 for the card to be a little bothersome to remove. Try to let it spring out quite a bit when removing. And some people file off a wee bit of the side of the card. I don't think a very short piece of transparent tape on the very end would cause any interference and it might give just enough to pull on.
I grow my pinky fingernail long to measure cocaine so I have no problem flicking the cards outandIamjustmiddingaboutthefingernailthing

And I believe the K-7 gives no warning when you start up with no card in the slot. I think when no card is present nothing is displayed and no camera actions can be made. I think this happened to me once. Thought it was the battery for about ten seconds.
01-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not complaining, I just want to check it's normal before I use the camera in earnest
It's normal and I do complain (often loudly and colorfully ;~). I have pretty clumsy fingers and find removing the card a real pita. I've taken to using a pair of forceps borrowed from my fishing gear.
01-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #15

Let the spring work

My k7 has always been very tight. Still is. I can't grab it with my fingers if I push in to remove it and let it out gently. I have to push it in and let the spring pop it out. It still only comes out a few extra millimeters than if I had just let it out normally, but it makes it easier to grab and remove. All of my cards of several different brands and capacities act the same. My k-x cards are very easy to remove. I made the mistake of using my spring technique on my k-x once and watched the memory card fly about 10 feet. Caught it in the air though...

Creampuff may be right though, as the last time I removed it, it did feel a bit more loose, if that helps.

Bill