Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
1. Pentax alive
2. 4 camera lines, as follows:
- rugged and small, maybe P&S, maybe smaller than APSC mirrorless.
- APSC mirrorless, suceeding the 2011 model
- FF dSLR
- 645D sucessor
3. I expect a K-5 successor in 2012 but I am not too sure about this for 2013. The market will decide for how long APSC dSLRs will sell for above $1000. If Sony does their new FF CMOS chip, there may be a rush towards it, either late 2011 or 2012
That is a good look in the future.

- The 645D lineup should also improve in future. The current 40 megapixel is just at the bottomend of that line. It needs also bigger sensor model with 60-80 megapixel. First one to release is maybe even this year a 645D with the KAF50100 kodak sensor, since it wil be just a sensor change. It also needs to work a lot faster, so a PRIME II needs to be in it.

- I think that hi-end APS-c will be around for some years since there are a lot of lenses around and people who want a body to go with that.

- Full Frame will be the top market in future for Pentax, or Pentax will leave that market and have a happy live in the prosumer market.

01-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

- Full Frame will be the top market in future for Pentax, or Pentax will leave that market and have a happy live in the prosumer market.

Top market of what? A lot of the new Pentax 645D user have upgraded from the current high end D3X, and according to the video interview just posted on the Luminous Landscape, Phase One never sold as much backs.

IMO, Pentax already have something higher end than Canon's and Nikon's. A lot of pro are shooting APSC because it is good enough. It would be more correct to say that Pentax don't want to invest in pro sport and wildlife photography.

My 2 cents.
01-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
Top market of what? A lot of the new Pentax 645D user have upgraded from the current high end D3X, and according to the video interview just posted on the Luminous Landscape, Phase One never sold as much backs.
Well 645D is to me a different market and APS-c and FF are grow-into-markets. Running a profession, photographic school or bussiness, then FF is the more logic way to go. Starting from a hobby high-end APS-C is a logic step and growing towards FF a second step to make.
01-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a query for discussion, not news or rumor.
:moving:.......... to the DSLR furum.

01-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
an error of judgment, thought this would fit into the rumors disussion.
anyway thanks so far for the thoughts

I would like to see them shift course and lower the k5 successor to 12mp and go full frame, so it will have as little noise as possible.
I like low light hand held photography so I thought this would fit right in.

another thing I would like to see.... remember with the older film lenses you can match the f number and it would give you a guide to the DOF?
I would like to see this go digital, as in when you lock in focus with the red dot, a guide would appear to tell you approx. how many feet (or inches) that would be in focus in front and in back. I mean exact focus DOF (where it is complete focus with the red dot in your viewfinder.

hope this makes sense

thanks

randy
01-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ghelary Quote
No, I really meant 20Mpx, resolution is not just limited by physics but also how much mechanical precision can implemented on a camera with mass-producing facilities. At current pixel counts, we already see some very significant sample variations, going further will simply make it more and more obvious.
First, I am willing to bet, that in 5 years there will be 50Mp APS-C available.

Second, the current tiny pixeled pocket cameras have better image quality per surface area than any of the large sensor cameras. There is nothing in physics or mass producing that prevents super high pixel counts. At the moment the biggest problem would be the amount of data that would need to be handled.

The positive aspects, apart from more detail, would be better correction of optical defects and need for weaker AA-filter (or even removing it totally).
01-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
First, I am willing to bet, that in 5 years there will be 50Mp APS-C available.
Putting more pixel on a chip is kinda easy. But this create some optical problem : When you put more and more pixel, each one, is smaller and smaller. Logical.
But, putting more pixel, increase - first - noise (less light for each pixel, tend to produce more noise) , and -second - CA. To be simple, it's exactly like when you use à very high "f" value, like 22 or more, you get a lot of diffraction. It's the same thing with sensor.

More pixel, less light, more diffraction, so you need better lens, (like those that cost 2000 bucks or more for a simple 50mm )

That's for this kind of reason that Nikon, keep "only" 12Mpx on high end, and Canon réduce number of Mpx between G10 and G11.
01-28-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I "predict" that pentax's flagship will include:

4. AND INCLUDE AN ARTICULATED LCD AMOLED DISPLAY! yeah! go pentax!

I hope so, by then.

01-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Lets re-phrase this a little.

What will the flagship SLR be.

In my mind, it will be ASP-C. I see no point in FF for the market pentax is going after.

Aside from improvements in all aspects compared to the K5,

I have no real demands other than better accessories like
- a teleconverter for HSM lenses,
- a flash with the same guide number as the AF540 but with 1/2 to 1/3 the full power duration
- pentax sponsored optical converters to mount other lenses and retain infinity focus. (with pentax quality optical design)

I don't consider my wish list to be in the next camera, but what I would love to see is the following.

- Both TTL and P-TTL flash capability, so the newest camera can be used effectively with legacy lenses.
- trailing curtain sync at 1/180 not 1/90
- option to turn on/off SHM drive on lenses supporting both
- pentax option for split image and other grid arrangements for focusing screens
- metering adjustment for lenses, like focus adjustment
- option to add correction in FL and aperture for a teleconverter, by manual selection of parameters at boot up (if selected)
01-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can a FF sensor be fast enough for sports/action?

thanks

randy
01-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote

thanks

randy
Explain "fast enough"

Frame rate, why not, the PZ-1p had 4.5-5 FPS in 1992-3 for film, so yes fast frame rate is possible

Shutter speed, PZ-1 and PZ-1p had 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 flash sync

Electronics and speed, as long as the buffer is designed correctly no issue.

AF, getting better and faster all the time, K& is just fine for many things, K5 is reported to be much faster still. I could do sports and Birds in FLight with my *istD and my PZ-1, so all improvements from there just make it simpler.
01-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Explain "fast enough"

Frame rate, why not, the PZ-1p had 4.5-5 FPS in 1992-3 for film, so yes fast frame rate is possible

Shutter speed, PZ-1 and PZ-1p had 1/8000 shutter with 1/250 flash sync

Electronics and speed, as long as the buffer is designed correctly no issue.

AF, getting better and faster all the time, K& is just fine for many things, K5 is reported to be much faster still. I could do sports and Birds in FLight with my *istD and my PZ-1, so all improvements from there just make it simpler.
The reason I asked is that I read somewhere that a bigger sensor would be slower (frame rate I assume) that is why a FF is more suitable for studio work, still etc.

maybe I was looking at a bad source

thanks

randy
01-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
Usage of those big expensive Canikon FF systems by pro sports photographers, machine-gunning image bursts, implies that they're speedy and agile enough, eh?

I'm not sure if a 645D would be the best sports-action camera. I doubt that it's up to 10 fps. Maybe a later model will be. But a *400/2.8 for it would be a bit costly.