Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #31

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine uses a Canon 50D. She's owned it for about a year, about as long as I've owned my K20D. We decided to switch for a day - Her 50D for my K20D, see what we thought.
Let's just say after a couple of hours, I handed the 50D back to her and asked if I could have my buddy back. She had enjoyed working with my K20D (of course ) but I had found the 50D incredibly cumbersome and totally counterintuitive. In fact, while bracketing some shots of the Red Rocks in Sedona the previous morning, I had noticed it took her far longer to set her camera to bracketing mode, whereas with the K20D it's just the push of a button and the turn of a wheel.
The next night, I was helping get her self-timer set for some lightning shots because she had misplaced her wired remote. She had never set the self-timer before and it took me 20 damn minutes to find out how to do it. Of course, she was still utterly convinced that she had the better of the two cameras because "well, it's a Canon!".

So this was the best part: The look on my friend's face when I took my K20D out in the rain for the first time in front of her.
"Can I do that with MINE?" she asked.
"I wouldn't attempt it", I replied smugly.

As far as Nikon goes, my aunt owns a D90 and asked me to help her figure out some of the functions. I was intimidated at first, but after about 10 minutes with the D90 I had most of it figured out. It really does have a better UI than Canon IMO, but neither of them come close to touching Pentax's "extension-of-your-arm" ergonomics. Sure, my K20D's menus may look outdated compared to even a D90.. but at least I know where everything is and I can get to it all in a jiffy.

12-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was pretty much decided on Pentax anyway as I had so many Pentax lenses. All I can comment on is the how the varoius brands felt in my hands. I don't have very large hands and the Pentax bodies felt the most comfortable to me and the best balanced with a comfortable weight. In general I liked how the wheels and buttons felt on the higher end Nikons.
The K5 is my first DSLR, my previous digital camera being the Panasonic Lumix but strange as it may sound the Panasonic had given me enough basic grounding in digital camera controls that I could get into the basic level settings of the Pentax quite easily.
I've still hardly scratched the surface of the more intricate settings available to me in the Pentax, I've not set up any custom Users settings, programs, white balance etc.
I'd like to be able to spend an hour or so with another person who actually has the same camera as me but none to be found so far.
12-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
As far as Nikon goes, my aunt owns a D90 and asked me to help her figure out some of the functions. I was intimidated at first, but after about 10 minutes with the D90 I had most of it figured out.
Agreed. I guess that's why I'm more intimidated by Canon systems than Nikon when it comes to UI... but as far as simplicity goes, Pentax really does it better, not because I own a Pentax NOW but because (as a pure newbie) testing them out before I bought a camera really did show how intuitive its stuff are.

but when it comes to handling differences between brands I'd rather ask for the manual first or at least have some research done beforehand, but if that ain't possible, I'd hit Av mode to avoid losing too much time =))
12-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I know I am repeating myself here but it's true. Pentax cameras have always been very user friendly. I think half the reason I became such a Pentax geek is because the first Pentax camera I ever picked up, a Spottie, felt like a dream in my hands. I've played with other brands but I always come back to Pentax and Yashica because they seem to fit me better and are far easier for me to use than other brands. I can pick any Pentax camera up and use it in only a few minutes even sans the manual, though I usually will read the manual cover to cover. I just can't say that about the Minolta or the Canon cameras I have. Not the little Nikon either though I actually like that one in terms of its ergonomics. The reason that those 3 cameras are mostly sitting in a box it really boils down to their ease of use versus that of Pentax. About the only other brand I think I'd even consider having a digital kit for would be Nikon actually. I like Pentax far better, but I'd still take Nikon over Canon if I ever needed to go there. Nothing against canon people, whatever works for them is fine by me, but I think the Canon cameras I've picked up to check out are just completely messed up compared to the Pentax ones I've used. The Nikons are okay, but still they're not my first choice.

12-08-2011, 03:27 AM   #35
Moderator PEG Judges

Another main difference is you can walk in to most camera shops and handle and buy the other brands.

Where as, usually Pentax are nowhere to be seen, let alone handle.
12-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
My first handful of tries fixing WB and Custom Image settings on a Nikon got me a bit perplexed. Most of my buddies are Nikon users and the interface isn't really that hard to adapt to (with the exception of some settings), especially if the models are around the same level as the K-x/K-r. I think beginners will find it easier to learn what "aperture" is with the Nikon layout since it displays on the LCD what the opening appears at different f-stops/numbers. But I still like Pentax's layout better, simple yet complete, and the interface font is more readable.
Yes it is a bit more complex for sure

What I do find useful though on my D7000 is that I can save my custom white balances for future use.

I cover Indoor Climbing comps which are always held at the same venues - for each venue I have set a custom WB - which I just choose when at the venue.
12-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #37
Veteran Member

After I bought my K-x and used it at a couple of family get-togethers by sister commented to my wife that she really wanted to get her own dSLR. She uses Nikons at work occassionally and her birthday was coming up so I got her a D60 as a gift. After she had it she and I were at a family event and we swapped cameras for a while. It took me a bit but I could find things on it and it wasn't too bad. Then my sister-in-law offered her Cannon Rebel to try. Wow, it is a nightmare trying to adjust to over the Nikon

The experience taught me that if Pentax K-x/r cameras were actually available to touch and try in person sales would go up. They just feel better in the hand, are more intuitive, and are easier to just start shooting with then either Nikon or (shudder) Cannon.
12-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
Veteran Member

After I bought my K-x and used it at a couple of family get-togethers by sister commented to my wife that she really wanted to get her own dSLR. She uses Nikons at work occassionally and her birthday was coming up so I got her a D60 as a gift. After she had it she and I were at a family event and we swapped cameras for a while. It took me a bit but I could find things on it and it wasn't too bad. Then my sister-in-law offered her Cannon Rebel to try. Wow, it is a nightmare trying to adjust to over the Nikon

The experience taught me that if Pentax K-x/r cameras were actually available to touch and try in person sales would go up. They just feel better in the hand, are more intuitive, and are easier to just start shooting with then either Nikon or (shudder) Cannon.

Oh, and for those that complain about Pentax QA - her D60 went dead from a known problem within 2 weeks (made me feel pretty bad). Her replacement was from a newer serial number series and works just fine. But, even the almighty Nikon has QA problems.