Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2007, 07:34 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot, your opinions and observations about the two cameras have helped me (even though it's a close match). I can clearly see that my next step is to have some hands-on time with both of these cameras, which I will hopefully be able to do this weekend. I actually might be able to rent out one of these for a few days. I have a feeling my decision will be a lot easier then.

I have read most of the reviews on both of these cameras at least three times over, but I haven't spent a great deal of time comparing and contrasting the images, and looking for what specific image details I want most. I will admit that I can't think of many practical situations where I would need continuous shooting. I can see instances where I would use exposure bracketing though...

Just like my last post, I've gotten some good response here. I will say, though, if I do buy the Pentax, I'll have a good community to share knowledge and experiences with.

10-10-2007, 09:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just recently took this photo with my K100d and a 25 yr old lens (50mm f/1.7) that i paid 25$ for at a flea market. I know that nikon and canon can match these photos...but with a 25$, 25yr old lens? i doubt it. I think the photo speaks for itself.

And by the way, im relatively new to the SLR world. The k100d was my first SLR camera and was recently purchased in May 2007. I initially bought the Nikon d40 due to the name alone and being very aware that Nikon is #1 in dSLRs. To me, it felt tiny and very cheap but i was still very adamant in at least trying the d40. To tell you the truth, the d40 focuses FAST and NOISELESS which were definite pluses. BUT!, Then i learned that ONLY the newest lenses would work on the nikon and they average $600+?? To me that was the deal breaker.

I've taken MANY beautiful pictures with the Pentax and have never looked back. Most of my friends either use Nikon or Canon and i took ALOT of flak for buying Pentax. But after seeing my pictures and the extremely small amount of money i've spent in comparison to the other brands, I have basically silenced ALL the critics.

I hope this helps.

James

Last edited by GatorPentax; 12-09-2007 at 07:00 AM.
10-10-2007, 11:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

That's a beautiful pic James.
10-11-2007, 04:42 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Hi James (GatorPentax)

Cracking nightshot BTW ! Keep up the good work......who needs C****n or N****n anyhow ?

Best regards
Richard

10-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Well, you have all sold me on the k100D (wait...I already have one! LOL)

I have never owned either of the 2 brands discussed on the thread, but from the experiences I have with my Pentax, I don't ever want to. I recently looked into selling my K100D and looking for a DSLR with higher MP but just was not satisfied with the things I read in other reviewes. When I actually handled the other brands, they didn't "feel" right. There is something to be said for how the camera feels in your hands and many others have mentioned it. I love the way the shutter shounds, it's loud but it's real. Some of the others remind me of when someone is trying to hold a sneeze in and it comes out all sharp and muffled. Just my two cents worth, I know you have a lot to think about.
10-12-2007, 11:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm certainly glad that you have a K100D Jennifer.
Like I said in the photo of your very cute daughter I love your photography. I can't wait until you post some more. And your favorite subject is fine, although I'd love to see the face behind the camera as well.