Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Win Me Over on the K100D

I am someone who, when presented with two similar useful objects, can find flaw and fortune everywhere. Right now I need a few of you to win me over on purchasing a Pentax K100D this Christmas over a Nikon D40. My concerns with the K100D are specific:
  • It's Pentax. It has a long history, but the top contenders these days are Canon and Nikon, hands down. What does Pentax have now that is superior to Nikon?
  • Buffer memory. Continuous shots aren't up to par with the D40.
  • Lens quality. Nikkor glass is great, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with Pentax lenses. Should I stick with Sigma?
I do recognize the benefit of having built-in shake reduction and the convenience of using AA batteries.

Obviously, most of you are probably Pentax owners and as such, chose it over another brand for certain reasons. If you truly recommend the D40 over the K100D, please post and explain why.

I posted a thread back in January when I really began researching these two cameras. Obviously, I still haven't come to a solid decision, so any help or personal insight that you can provide would be very appreciated. Thanks!

10-09-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nikkor glass is great, but Pentax is better. Pentax produces the best primes on the planet. The 50mm 1.7 is touted as one of the best ever made with Zeiss a close second... plus the fact you can use any Pentax glass ever made... go for the K100D
10-09-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
baw

You'll find the D40 to be limited to certain lenstypes only.
Pentax supports ALL lenses they ever made. Ask around your family and friends, and you'll find allmost certainly some who have old Pentax glass laying around. Pentax gives AF assist and metering on these old lenses, and they are all stabilised.
Have a look at the Tamron 18-250. Great lens, covering a large range, with great quality.
10-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi tparker

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
Right now I need a few of you to win me over on purchasing a Pentax K100D this Christmas over a Nikon D40
I don't personally own a K100D, so it's bit difficult for me to give you first-hand advice on the subject. Prior to purchasing my K10D, I gave serious consideration to both the C***n 350/400D and N***n 40D, but preferred the handling and overall feel of the K100D to either of them ! For example my sister purchased a C***n 350D in the far east en route from Australia to London a year or so ago and whilst the picture quality was acceptable, the lousy ergonomics and insubstantial (tiny) hand grip rather put me off the whole idea. The N***n 40D faired just as poorly in this respect, but the K100D instantly felt just "right" to me. In case you're wondering. I have no particular axe-to-grind on the subject, because I've never previously owned ANY Pentax equipment before my K10D, but I certainly recognise a bargain when I see one !!! Camera ownership is obviously a very personal thing and a user feature that suits one person will irritate the *<$@+!!! out of another ! If you can find a decent local photographic store that stocks all three cameras, my advice is to go along and handle them all properly. Take an SD card with you and capture some shots, then study the end results on a good computer screen and see which you prefer !

Try asking yourself some straightforward questions.
1) Do you like delving into lengthy software menus in order to alter often-used parameters such as Aperture/Shutter-speed etc or would you.....
2) Prefer to have that control instantaneously available under the finger-tip of an E-dial ? Well the K100D clearly has just the front one (which is preferable to none at all) but the two dials on the K10D soon convinced me that this was the camera for me !
3) The brightness of viewfinders varies enormously between manufacturers. Can you make out things like the shutter speed or ISO easily ? If NOT, ask yourself WHY ??
4) Are your pockets sufficiently deep enough to afford all those expensive optically stabilised C****n & N****n lenses or does Shake Reduction on EVERY K-mount lens you fix to the body appeal even more ?

In addition, I thoroughly concur with 'baw's' opinion when he says:

QuoteQuote:
Have a look at the Tamron 18-250. Great lens, covering a large range, with great quality.
Couldn't have summed that up better myself ! These are just a few little pointers to consider, so good luck whichever path you choose to follow.

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 10-09-2007 at 11:41 PM.
10-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

First of all, I think you would most likely receive biased opinions here as it is just a Pentax forum.

However, I suppose you could ask or should have already asked the same question at Nikon forums and you would receive similar comments for why Nikon, in another way.

So, just ask yourself which is important and which is not important to yourself, after you have done your research and collect enough *truth* (not hearsay or very subjective opinions - do filter all these out).

Well, I do have my comments on both cameras though. Do note I have used both. I own a K100D and do have a D40 at work (have used just for a few times). My opinions for which is better than which and for what are as follows:

1. The K100D has a top monochrom LCD panel for camera status which is useful (the D40 lacks it);

2. D40 with kit lens focuses more slowly than the K100D with kit lens. Also, D40 supports only ultrasonic Nikkor lenses which are rare, expensive and with few selections (except for the kit lens!);

3. D40 is lighter when loaded with batteries and card and the lithium-ion rechargeable battery is more reliable;

4. Colour rendition and rendition of greys of the K100D is far better;

5. D40 produces heavily sharpened pictures by default which looks unnatural;

6. But D40 images yet seem to have slightly higher resolution anyway;

7. AA batteries are heavier and K100D is very selective for which battery model you use. The safe way to go is to use only Sanyo Eneloop (for NiMH rechargeables) which is proven (whereas most others are not - you have to gamble). Anyway, using Lithiums in K100D is still the ultimate way to go for optimal camera performance. I can guarantee that K100D with Eneloop still focuses slower than when it is equipped with Lithiums;

8. D40 has a (far) more intelligent and accurate metering system;

9, Umm, honestly speaking, Nikon has a much brighter future than Pentax from what we can see now. If you are going to invest and build a new system, consider this *fact*.

QuoteOriginally posted by tparker Quote
I am someone who, when presented with two similar useful objects, can find flaw and fortune everywhere. Right now I need a few of you to win me over on purchasing a Pentax K100D this Christmas over a Nikon D40. My concerns with the K100D are specific:
  • It's Pentax. It has a long history, but the top contenders these days are Canon and Nikon, hands down. What does Pentax have now that is superior to Nikon?
  • Buffer memory. Continuous shots aren't up to par with the D40.
  • Lens quality. Nikkor glass is great, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with Pentax lenses. Should I stick with Sigma?
I do recognize the benefit of having built-in shake reduction and the convenience of using AA batteries.

Obviously, most of you are probably Pentax owners and as such, chose it over another brand for certain reasons. If you truly recommend the D40 over the K100D, please post and explain why.

I posted a thread back in January when I really began researching these two cameras. Obviously, I still haven't come to a solid decision, so any help or personal insight that you can provide would be very appreciated. Thanks!
10-10-2007, 01:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tparker Quote
(snip) It's Pentax. It has a long history, but the top contenders these days are Canon and Nikon, hands down. What does Pentax have now that is superior to Nikon?

Of course, since this really isn't a contest, there are no contenders. Both (Nikon D40 and Pentax K100D) are fine cameras, with both nearly equal in image quality, performance, and standard features. However, since I now consider shake reduction (image stabilization) a necessity well beyond mere convenience, that would be the deciding factor for me. Since this is built into the K100D, versus only available with some Nikon lenses, the Pentax would clearly have to be my choice.

QuoteQuote:
Buffer memory. Continuous shots aren't up to par with the D40.

Since you'll seldom be presented with good photo opportunities exceeding the capabilities of either of these cameras, this specification is, for all practical purposes, insignificant.

QuoteQuote:
Lens quality. Nikkor glass is great, but I'm mostly unfamiliar with Pentax lenses.

And since there are minimal differences in quality between brand-name lenses built today, this is also fairly insignificant. In spite of what some might say, it's virtually, if not utterly, impossible to distinguish between images taken with a modern Canon, Pentax, or Nikon lens.

QuoteQuote:
I posted a thread back in January when I really began researching these two cameras. Obviously, I still haven't come to a solid decision

If you haven't reached a decision after nine months of research, I seriously doubt there is anything that can be said at this point to truly facilitate that.

stewart
10-10-2007, 02:35 AM   #7

Hi.
I will not tell you that D40 is better than K100D or the other way around.
Look at the pictures they produce and then make a choice. Then go to a shop, and try them out (feel in hands) and be prepared to reverse that choice, or even buy a third camera.
My recommendation is to buy a camera you are comfortable using. Whoever manufactures it.

Branimir
10-10-2007, 03:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
(snip) Umm, honestly speaking, Nikon has a much brighter future than Pentax from what we can see now. If you are going to invest and build a new system, consider this *fact*.

You really are an arse, RiceHigh. When talking about bias and truth in your message above, why didn't you tell this individual that you're mainly a Canon user (EOS 5D owner), apparently think anything (especially Canon and Nikon) is better than Pentax, have spent months trashing Pentax and Pentax users, and can no more substantiate the "fact" above than the many other bull excreta you've spit out over the last several months against Pentax in forum after forum (the same with your nonsense about the D40's metering system being more intelligent and accurate).

After making the rounds to all the other forums in your quest to trash Pentax, you appear in this forum every couple of weeks, like clockwork, to use every opportunity presented to subtly dig at Pentax with inaccurate, misleading, or false statements (alone or occasionally added to otherwise seemingly innocuous messages in the same manner as the comment above). Of course, since you have zero credibility with anyone knowing you for any length of time, you instead often seek out new members and those pondering initial purchase choices (as you've done here) to do whatever damage you can.

I just hope this message is enough to convince this individual that it would be very foolhardy to give any credence whatsoever to absolutely anything you say. If not, I'm sure a search of your previous messages in this and other forums will convince him of that.

stewart

10-10-2007, 04:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi, personally there is no 'bad' dslrs on the market (that I know of). I believe the D40 is one that will only take the nikon equivalent to sdm lenses?? if so that is probably the only dslr I would avoid at the moment (why limit yourself when you dont have to). I believe the k10 / k10d cannot be beat for value for money for camera and as mentioned the lenses are excellent, however the pentax system is extremely lacking at present for long glass.

As they are all pretty good, dont over analyse, just go into a good camera store and ask to try them. Play around (in store), see how they feel, look at the menus, look through viewfinder, which camera makes you want to go an take photos? (i had decided on a 350d until I tried in store and hated it the feel of it, and got the Ds instead and just loved using it, same for k100, but my wife with small really doesn't like the k10 and wont use it (I aint complaining )

Phil
10-10-2007, 06:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Just some other Random thoughts. Someone's sig here has bodies come and go - but good glass is forever. In hindsight I would have done more research on the glass available and the prices than I did with the bodies. I have no complaints with Pentax as my choice - but to be truthful that was a fortunate by product of my purchase (yeah i read compatible with every lens Pentax ever made and that did factor in as a good thing for sure). I did not compare pictures (not a pixel peeper) as I assumed with RAW and PP most of them would be close enough for me. MP was not an consideration either at the time 6 was fine and I had no need to go to 10. (I bought the K10D cause I got a great deal on a used one)

I also considered what freinds and family had (share resources ie: Lens) for me a non factor as only one friend has a DSLR the original C** Rebel and one lens. If I had several friends with C** or N** I would have factored that into the decesion I think.

I think the K100D Super is out now and a better choice? Not sure on price.

In my limited experience (as I have never owned a DSLR before, and the only Pentax I had was an old film PS). I went through the some of the same decisions. For me it was a combination of

The "Feel" of the K100d (which I have since sold and went to a K10D) felt better in my hand than compariable C**, N** and S**

Price - the K100D was cheaper

Lens compatibility - (** although lens availability where I am is a different story ** getting better now)

SR built in the body not the lens - I liked the idea of it (having no practical experience) - and now a few months later it is not a silver bullet that will fix all camera movement - but in some shots it does make a huge difference IMHO

I wanted a DSLR for several years but did not get serious until January this year - after a couple of month’s research (which will drive you nuts) - I went out and tried a few. Optimally if you can rent them over a weekend would be best.

If you have been seriously researching for 9 months,as Stewart mentioned that is enough time almost too much time as new models, with new features, etc. I 'kinda' wanted one for several years - and researched now and then - but in reality was not ready to commit. Once I was - within two months I went out and bought one (with a 90 day retrun policy just in case ). Needless to say several $$$ later here I am

Good Luck and maybe ask 'Santa" to make the choice for ya ! Whatever brand you choose , if you enjoy photography I doubt there will be any regrets.
10-10-2007, 06:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

There was recently a 3 page thread on this topic when I was trying to make my decision. I could not be happier that I chose the k100d.

Thread
10-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran Member

By the way, I forgot one of the best reasons to buy the Pentax - other Pentax users. Notice that none of the Pentax users here are trashing or putting down the Nikon D40 in this thread. Instead, you're getting honest answers about both cameras being roughly equal, with each pointing out slight differences between the two and most suggesting you try both before buying. I strongly suspect you won't find Nikon users being that generous to, or honest about, Pentax in any of their forums.

stewart

Last edited by stewart_photo; 10-10-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling
10-10-2007, 08:39 AM   #13
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by stewart_photo Quote
By the way, I forgot one of the best reasons to buy the Pentax - other Pentax users. Notice that none of the Pentax users here are trashing or putting down the Nikon D40 in this thread. Instead, you're getting honest answers about both cameras being roughly equal, with each pointing out slight differences between the two and most suggesting you try both before buying. I'm strongly suspect you won't find Nikon users being that generous to, or honest about, Pentax in their forums.

stewart
I would say that this forum is peculiar because of that (and this is why I only use this forum), but I would not describe all Pentax users as respectful to other brands. I have read things in the Pentax section of Dpreview that even today I am trying to forget.
10-10-2007, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Probably one of the better ways of comapring the Pentax K100D and the Nikon D40 is to read the reviews -
BUT pair the reviews by the same site and compare the reviews side-by-side ......
read not only the words, but compare carefully the sample images -

Here are the ones I found paired -

DCRP - I like this site because their reviews often are insightful -

DCRP Review: Pentax K100D

DCRP Review: Nikon D40

Imaging-Resource - detailed, comprehensive and well organized -

Pentax K100D Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

Nikon D40 Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!

dpReview - another comprehensive and detailed review site
(but misses focus speed and shutter lag for dSLRs - why?) -

Pentax K100D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

Nikon D40 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

PopPhoto.com - site of "Popular Photography" - long established magazine -
covers some important aspects other "comprehensive" sites miss - like focus speed at different light levels -

Camera Test: Pentax K100D - - PopPhotoOctober 2006

Camera Test: Nikon D40 - - PopPhotoMarch 2007

OK my (biassed) opinion -

Pentax K100D -

- cheaper - by about $36 in kit form -
someone has posted that Pentax may be doing its rebate thing from 10/18(?) - see Time to refresh the rebate.

- shake reduction built-in for all lenses - this is a really valuable feature - at least for me.

- compatible with all Pentax lenses - including the new (and expensive) SMD lenses - the focussing is with the mechanical screw-drive and not via the lens ultrasonic motor.

- good image quality

- low image noise, and quite acceptable even at ISO3200

- loud'ish mirror slap/shutter

- limited buffer for continuous shooting (4 frames for JPG and 3 for RAW)

- common AA batteries -
BUT very sensitive to batteries - have to use good high capacity NiMH or LSD like eneloops - or expensive lithium AA like Energizer e2 lithium.

Nikon D40 -

- good image quality - possibly "better" than K100D - but probably difficult to see in practice.

- low image noise - again possibly better than K100D - but read and see Nikon D40 Review: 23. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review -
"The D40 delivers a clean looking image at both ISO 800 and 1600 which maintains its detail well, although not as detailed as the Pentax K100D images."

- limited compatibilty with older lenses - eg: no auto-focussing with non AF-S lenses.

- unlimited continuous shooting for JPGs; 6-7 for RAW

- quieter shutter.
10-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
Site Supporter

K100D = exposure bracketing, mirror lock up, shake reduction
D40 = better continuous shooting

Not sure of lesser differences, and even some of the bigger features may not be ones you would need or use. I rarely need more than three shots in a row, but SR is nice.