K-r + 18-55 1130.56%
K-7 + 18-55 WR 719.44%
K-5 + 18-55 WR 1850.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2011, 03:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
what ever you do, don't sell the DS. It can use legacy lenses and TTL flash, which later cameras cannot do.

If you use any non "A" lenses in your work, the DS will always have a place. the 6MP sensor, while not up to current "standards" is still a good sensor and has excellent colors and noise characteristics.

I keep my *istD for the exact same reasons, even though I also have a K10D and K7D
Hold on... are you saying that even the K5 can't use non A lenses?! Sorry for OT...

I love my DS (it even shares it's name with one of the best cars in human history), but the command dial is thrashed, and I thought one day I could upgrade.

02-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Andrei,

I too am a DS user with a deep desire for an upgrade. It will be to K5, but not immediately.
I just purchased a nearly new Tamron SP AF 90mm 2.8 Macro and can't believe the clarity in the viewfinder or the sharpness of the finished product. The DS has just earned a few more months of life. I started out with a list of desirable glass - nothing too expensive but with good reviews and covering all bases, eg Sigma 10-20, DA 18-135 (which will come with the K5), DA 55-300 and the Tamron 90 Macro, and a reasonable number of similarly specified lenses - and now I am watching the Forum marketplace, eBay etc to sieze opportunities when they arise. By having a list that covers my needs I won't be tempted to buy something 'because it is available' unless it fills one of the criteria that I have laid down.
Whether the K5 & 18-135 comes before the other lenses remains to be seen, but at least I have a direction and an endpoint in view.
Keep your DS, invest in lenses that suit what you want to do now and into the future and that will serve you well when you do have the cash for a body upgrade.
02-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Hold on... are you saying that even the K5 can't use non A lenses?! Sorry for OT...

I love my DS (it even shares it's name with one of the best cars in human history), but the command dial is thrashed, and I thought one day I could upgrade.
No, not at all, you can use Non A lenses with any pentax DSLR, but the functionality is different for flash on the K series DSLRs,

For bodies after (I think) the *istDS2 there is no longer support for TTL flash on the cameras, only P-TTL. The cameras up to the *istDS2 support both P-TTL and TTL flash

The difference is as follows.

TTL flash takes light reflected off the sensor surface (or on film cameras reflected off the film emulsion), to control flash duration. DSLRs up to and including the *istDS2 have this sensor, and therefore can support TTL flash and both the built in and external flash can work in TTL mode.

P-TTL uses the cameras normal metering, and uses a preflash which it measures the light back from the subject due to the flasn, plus the scene's natural metering and knowledge of the lenses maximum aperture and the aperture & shutter speed selected, to fire the flash for a pre-determined length of time, therefore in theory, ensuring better flash.

Because K mount lenses have no means of communicating even the maximum aperture to the body cameras that are P-TTL only (i.e. all the K series DSLRs), will fire the flash either at full power (internal) or in either manual or AUTO if the flash supports it (external/hot shoe)

As a result, even though the *istD series are somewhat outdated, slow to process images and have lower resolution, they are extremely useful for anyone who wants to use flash with legacy lenses.
02-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Why not a used K20D for $425. You get everything you need, plus the added advantage of tethering to a computer (K20 is the last to support tethering), you can sell the DS for $175, so the upgrade is $250 plus shipping. Cheap!

Buy a used K5 in 2.5 years for $600 and sell the K20 for $300. Affordable and never too much behind in technology, that your skill won't make it unnoticeable.

Only downside is, I'd be tempted to hold on to the DS for for the reasons Lowell Goudge stated, and its color rendition (criticized heavily in its the time by reviewers, but in my opinion a wonder to behold).

Last edited by betaPhoto; 02-03-2011 at 12:59 PM.