View Poll Results: Which camera?
K-r + 18-55 1130.56%
K-7 + 18-55 WR 719.44%
K-5 + 18-55 WR 1850.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #1

Upgrading from an *ist DS

Last edited by a.seki; 08-20-2011 at 06:27 PM.
01-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #2

I upgraded from the DS to a K-r + 18-55 kit. The five year gap in technology makes the difference really, really big.

I have considered the K-7 (wanting the build + controls), but due budget constraints, I had to get the K-r.

Having said that, if you 'got by' with the DS, the K-r is a dream to use. No more waiting 3 seconds to view your shots .

But I guess this depends on how flexible your budget is, and your kind of shooting. If you need a rugged body, the K-7 and K-5 are the options. Between the the two, if you need faster AF and high ISO, it's the K-5.

If you don't need a rugged body, then the K-r + better lens is the option.

I don't know if you've been following the threads, so a word of caution on the K-5. Better make sure you don't have the 'stained sensor' issue in case you decide on that. On a related note, K-r users are reporting FF in Tungsten light. My K-r exhibits that, you best read about it in the other threads.

HTH
01-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If budget is an issue and WR is a requirement, the K7.
If low light performance is important (I don't think it is for you as you don't mention it but I might be wrong), either K-R (good for the budget) or K5 (not so good for the budget).
WR and low light, the K5

QuoteOriginally posted by GrinMode Quote
On a related note, K-r users are reporting FF in Tungsten light. My K-r exhibits that, you best read about it in the other threads.
The K5 has also been reported as doing that; although thought mine did not, it actually does.
01-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Kai

QuoteOriginally posted by a.seki Quote
My main concern is that purchasing a K-5 will mean i would have less budget to invest in a good lens (and other goodies) whereas with a K-r, i could invest in a good fixed aperture lens (or equivalent).
Since you are going to be getting a lens anyway, why not factor in the price of a desired lens now. I would do the research for that lens now. If you can get the lens now with one of the bodies, I certainly would. Because you will enjoy it every shot you will have with this new camera.

01-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you know you want the 17-50 rather than the kit lens, then by all means just get the body alone and buy the desired lens - save yourself the fiddling around with buying and selling an unwanted item.

As for which body to get, it's budget dependent. If you cannot afford a K-5 + 17-50, then go for a second hand K-7 + 17-50. It will be leagues of difference to the ol' *ist DS. Well worth the money invested in it too.

Enjoy deciding.
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
If you know you want the 17-50 rather than the kit lens, then by all means just get the body alone and buy the desired lens - save yourself the fiddling around with buying and selling an unwanted item.
Seconded! No need for an 18-55mm (even if it is practically "free with purchase") when you plan to get the (excellent) Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. And you could try to stretch some budget for the DA70 Limited, which is a killer portrait lens within any reasonable budget.
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I just bought the K-7 with the 18-55mm and love it. It's my first DSLR and I think it's very user friendly. I love the rugged build quality, it just feels good in your hands. I got mine from Beach Camera for $950.00.

01-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I jumped from a DS to K-7 maybe 1.5 years ago and was thrilled with how much improved. I'd say make the jump to a K-5 if you can afford it for the biggest upgrade wow factor (try getting a DA-L 35mm f2.4 instead of the kit lens if you want a prime). I'm sure you will be happy with any of them though.
01-31-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went from the DS to a K100D and a D Super and settled in on the K200D which has a familiar, but I think a better, handling feel and uses AA batteries plus weather sealing. So far I haven't felt any twinges of regret and like 'em enough I've acquired four of 'em in various deals. I expect I'll keep 'em around as long as the Spotmatic (30+ years) but being electronic gadgets I laid in a few spares just in case. 10 MB and ISO 100-1600 is more than enough for my purposes.

For the price of one K7 I've got the convenience of identical, multiple bodies ready to go with various lenses and confidence in having familiar backup systems available for a long time.

And, I've still got the DS too - just too good to give up as it's configured for those small M42 and SMC-M lenses that like the 6-MB sensor OK anyway.

H2
02-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Since you said you want out of the entry-level DSLR that rules out the Kr (no matter what people say, the Kr is an entry-level camera).

Having seem sample photos from both the K7 and K5 (I do not own either) I would say if you can afford it get the K5 as fast as you can. The K5 with its kit lens can out perform a K7 with an upgraded lens. Basically the K5 body will help you produce much better IQ with any lens compared to the K7. The K7 would require a limited lens to reproduce what the K5 could do with a non limited lens. K5 is a great beast of a camera and will be hard to beat unless you go FF.
02-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Since you said you want out of the entry-level DSLR that rules out the Kr (no matter what people say, the Kr is an entry-level camera).

Having seem sample photos from both the K7 and K5 (I do not own either) I would say if you can afford it get the K5 as fast as you can. The K5 with its kit lens can out perform a K7 with an upgraded lens. Basically the K5 body will help you produce much better IQ with any lens compared to the K7. The K7 would require a limited lens to reproduce what the K5 could do with a non limited lens. K5 is a great beast of a camera and will be hard to beat unless you go FF.
Can we see a comparison between a k5+kit and k7+non-kit? I have always been under the impression that IQ begins at the lens. High ISO shots might be another matter, but IMHO better glass rules.
02-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I went from a ds to a k10, and the k10 to a k7. I would have liked the k5 but it wasn't in the budget. All the noise on the forum had me worried about the high iso on the k7. Hah comparatively it's light years better than either of my previous cameras
The K7 with the Tamron should leave some change for either more strobist gear or a nice used prime to take advantage of in portraiture ( an fa 50 1.4 will give you razor thin DOF and pretty close to a perfect 35mm portrait length equivalent while maintaining all the features of the camera - or for far less pick up a super tak 55 f1.8 and go manual)
unless you are going to pursue shooting in extreme low light I see no reason to grab the k5 for now and a k7 should be easy to pick up a good copy used for even less than the shop price, and may include some nice extras like the wr lens for shooting in bad weather)

If you want to see what the k7 can do with a very modest lens (smcm 28 f3.5) in varying conditions have a look at my single in january album there is one high iso low light example and some low iso long exposure examples as well)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/eddie1960-albums-single-january.html
02-01-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm still using my Ds which I love, and I don't really plan on upgrading any time soon. Perhaps the K5, which really would be an improvement, but K-r? Naaah. A pentamirror viewfinder with 0.85x magnification? Are you kidding me? Might as well get a Canon Ixus... they make nice photos too. I don't care if the camera is faster or offers sharper photos, when the viewfinder is not as good. First and foremost I want a good split prism viewfinder (I'm already sometimes having trouble focusing my MF lens with the Ds...). and low light capabilities (ok, the K-r offers the latter...).

I would get a K5. Good viewfinder, good usability, good photos, and it is tough.
02-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A little late to reply but I had the Ds too and now have the K-m which has faster AF but consistency leaves much to be desired. Reasons to upgrade I can think of including SR, faster AF or more MP for cropping. Considered you are primary interested in portrait and the gear you have at the moment, I recommend spending the fund more toward lighting gears or some primes. The K-5 might buy you a moment of pride but not adding much to the actual photography that you are interested in. In fact, you might even consider buying a lowend Nikon body with some affordable AF primes which will end up far cheaper than Pentax system.
02-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by a.seki Quote
thanks everyone for your responses!

it looks like my *ist DS will be shooting more pictures for the upcoming year, i need to find a source of funding for a K-5

being a student and photographer at the same time has its downsides...
what ever you do, don't sell the DS. It can use legacy lenses and TTL flash, which later cameras cannot do.

If you use any non "A" lenses in your work, the DS will always have a place. the 6MP sensor, while not up to current "standards" is still a good sensor and has excellent colors and noise characteristics.

I keep my *istD for the exact same reasons, even though I also have a K10D and K7D