Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K-x to be discontinued?

At an online store I asked about pricing for the K-x and they replied that it was out of stock and they had heard it is being discontinued. Anyone else heard this rumour?

01-31-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You are correct the K-X is showing as discontinued in the Pentax Japan site for Jpan but normally is true for the rest of the world
Digital SLR Camera Lineup (Discontinued Model) : Digital Cameras : Products : PENTAX
01-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K7 and K-x have been replaced by the K5 and K-r. Just as the K20D and K-m were replaced by the K7 and K-x. Time marches on.
01-31-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arrondee Quote
At an online store I asked about pricing for the K-x and they replied that it was out of stock and they had heard it is being discontinued. Anyone else heard this rumour?
Pentax traditionally maintains only two camera production lines. Now, they have three, if you count the 645D.

When the K10D was the top of the line model, they had the K100D. The K20D was paired with the K200D. The K-7 and K-x were contemporaries. Now, the K-5 and K-r are the two.

Any K-7's or K-x's you see in stores, are simply old stock that has not yet been sold. When they're gone, they're gone. Both have been out of production since the K-5/K-x were introduced.

01-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Any K-7's or K-x's you see in stores, are simply old stock that has not yet been sold. When they're gone, they're gone. Both have been out of production since the K-5/K-x were introduced.
No they were still producing K-X and K-7 after the introduction of K-R and & k-5. You can see this is the serial # database
01-31-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
No they were still producing K-X and K-7 after the introduction of K-R and & k-5. You can see this is the serial # database
I have no doubt Pentax continued to have warehouse inventory to sell, but they don't have overlap of production - they have always been a 2-body company, when the production lines are switched, I highly doubt they would make a production switch back to the previous model. There may be overlap in the serial numbers, but when the K7 line was replaced by the K5 line, that is permanent (think of it as a car assembly line - would Honda go back and do another run of the 2010 accord after introducing the 2011?). The announcement of production ends always comes at a later time.
01-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crap... would this translate into price reductions for the K-R and K-5? I just bought a K-R and wouldn't mind a bigger discount.

01-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The K-r is well on its' way to the K-x price points - the discontinuation likely won't result in anything immediate however, and it is already a great price. Enjoy your new camera!
02-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Crap... would this translate into price reductions for the K-R and K-5? I just bought a K-R and wouldn't mind a bigger discount.
It's not always a given that prices will go down over time. When I bought my K200 it was very late in its lifecycle, hard to find, and definitely not at its lowest price. There's usually a sweet spot in the lifecycle for the price, but it's usually only obvious in retrospect when the optimal time to buy begins and ends. Generally buying a camera at the beginning of its lifecycle, which you did, will pretty much guarantee that you'll be able to buy it for less later on.

My guess is that you'll have to return your K-R and then wait a while for prices to drop substantially, but that's just a guess.

Paul
02-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

On Amazon yesterday I saw several good K-r deals that were only $100-150 or so higher than the K-x deals they'd been running previously. The price of the K-r is definitely falling though I think it will be a long, long while yet before we likely see a sub $500 K-r that's not used. Not much drop in the K-5 price though, just the K-r.