Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Ist* DS questions...

I found a brand new in box with a 18-55mm lens from Ritz Camera around me and i was wondering if getting it for 359.99 is a really good price? And what are the differences from the Ist* ds and the ist* dl? The people behind the counter really didnt know what it was.

Also, i get a one year damage plan so if anything happens to it i get it fixed or an upgrade if it cant be fixed.

10-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe the DS has more features. The DL was the entry level model (I had one for about 6 weeks last year until I sold it for the K100D). For the price you paid, I'd say you got a pretty good deal. When that camera came out, it took great pictures. It still does.
10-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
How did your DL compare to your K100d? I looked at the K100d but i decided that the price of the Ist suits me very well at this moment. Is the money really worth it for the Shake resistant body on the k100d? I mean im going to take pictures at low light with a tripod, its how ive been (i use alot of 35mm slrs).
10-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmorrill Quote
I found a brand new in box with a 18-55mm lens from Ritz Camera around me and i was wondering if getting it for 359.99 is a really good price?
Yes, I think so. I paid $299 for a very slightly used *ist DS, body only, from an Amazon third-party reseller, and I thought I got a decent price. $360 for new, plus the kit lens, seems to me a good buy. A new k110D (still available at many merchants) with a lens would probably have cost you $100 more.

QuoteQuote:
And what are the differences from the Ist* ds and the ist* dl? The people behind the counter really didnt know what it was.
Check out the review of the *ist DL at Steve's Digicams, which compares its features to the features of the second release of the *ist DS. Here's Steve's Digicam's review of the original *ist DS (what you bought, apparently).

I use the *ist DS as a second camera and as a backup/understudy for my K10D. It takes quite decent photos. And while I generally prefer the larger size of the K10D, the compactness of the *ist DS makes it less imposing and easier to take everywhere.

NOTE that one of the knocks against the *ist DS is/was that its JPEGs are not top-notch. Doesn't bother me, as I almost always shoot raw.

Enjoy!

Will

10-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Seems like a fair price. Major difference to the DL
  1. Glass pentaprism viewfinder vs pentamirror on the DL
  2. 95% viewfinder coverage vs 85% on the DL
  3. 11 AF sensors vs 3 on the DL
  4. Larger buffer
  5. Backward compatible with TTL flash vs P-TTL only
  6. Personal opinion - the DS is a bit more ergonomically correct for my hands. It has a more comfortable grip.
I've probably forgotten a few others. I've kept my DS when I bought the K10D. I carry it when I only want a small light package.
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yea im only looking to get into a entry level Dslr i tried the nikons and cannons, but the nikon d40 just didnt really seem to be worth the money considering the lens isnt really interchangable with out losing alot of features. And the cannon was out of my price range (500tops) So the DS seems to be perfect for me. I do plan on working with raw format, through CS2.(i dont have cs3 yet)
10-10-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrmorrill Quote
How did your DL compare to your K100d? I looked at the K100d but i decided that the price of the Ist suits me very well at this moment. Is the money really worth it for the Shake resistant body on the k100d? I mean im going to take pictures at low light with a tripod, its how ive been (i use alot of 35mm slrs).
Wouldn't it be nice if you did NOT have to use a tripod so much?

Shake resistance was the feature that initially drew me to the K100D and K10D. What sealed the deal for me was everything else about these cameras. But having used cameras with image stabilization (the Canon PowerShot S# IS series) for a couple years, I knew I wanted image stablization, and I didn't want to have to pay for it over and over again with each lens, and I didn't want to have to remember whether I was shooting with image stablization available or not (as you would with a Canon or Nikon system unless you had nothing but image-stabilized lenses).

If you can keep the focal length less than the shutter speed, you won't run afoul of the reciprocal rule for minimizing the effects of camera shake. That means, if you can keep your shutter speed to 1/60th sec while shooting with the lens at 55mm, then you should not miss SR much. But the longer the focal length, the likelier it is that camera shake will have an effect, even if you can keep the shutter speed within the rule (say, 1/200th sec when zoomed to 200mm).

I simply don't put long lenses on my *ist DS, and by and large, it's not a problem. When the light is low or I'm shooting with flash and would like to drag the shutter (say, get the shutter down to 1/20th sec), then I wish I had SR in the *ist DS. But I have a pretty steady hand and I do okay.

Will
10-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
Ah, for the past year ive been shooting of a old nikon fg-20(my dads) with quite a few different lenses so i understand how it is with out the SR but it seems like an amazing feature, just wasnt in my price range at the time (i must sound cheap lol) but if i do get heavier into photography i think i will upgrade to the k100d or even the k10d. But that wont be for awhile since im in no rush.